Apollo ISO bug is fixed for most users and also a workaround for those who need it

LAUNCH
By Rockwallaby

We have received messages that our recent Apollo ISO resulted in failed installations due to the recently updated Archlinux keyring.

We have fixed the issue using our HotFix feature, a feature that allows us to send a fix on an already released ISO without the need to build a new one. Just connect to the internet on the Live ISO and the installer will fetch the fix automatically.

Offline install

If you are using the offline installation option without a network connection there’s an additional step you have to do after installation.

Open the terminal and type:

sudo pacman -Syu —> sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring

see here: Apollo ISO bug is fixed for most users and also a workaround for those who need it - #23 by manuel

This will update the Archlinux-keyring update in the first place and when that is done type:

sudo pacman -Syu

for a second time, this will update the rest of the system.

Users who live in countries where GitHub and/or GitLab are blocked

Users who live in countries where GitHub or GitLab is blocked, have to fetch the HotFix manually on the ISO. Before starting the installer connect to the internet, open the terminal on the Live Environment and type:

sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring

After that, you will be able to install the system without any issues.

We would like to thank the community for responding so adequately to this issue.

23 Likes

Nowhere near enough hyperbole. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Shouldn’t it read:

?

5 Likes

I suppose/hope @Bryanpwo knows better, or made a typo.
Reading the complete post, it could be that there is a bypass/trick that forces to update keyring first when just running -Syu once. :grey_question: :smiley:

1 Like

^^This :blush:

1 Like

I did check it first, because I also thought it was a typo, but the keyring will update first and after the second command the rest of the updates will update.

Of course, your option also works. :wink:

2 Likes

Alright! Good to know that it works both way!
Thanks for the attention!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve corrected it.

There was nothing to correct - “adequately” is perfectly good!

It was supposed to be a a joke about how announcements (in various other places) are typically written… :sweat:

4 Likes

OMG, I thought it was a typo. :joy:

I see, your point now!

2 Likes

If that was true, there would be no issue in the first place.
I faced the same issue on my running Arch system and the keyring was not updated/installed first, to insert the new keys. I had to first explicitly install the keyring to continue.

If pacman doesn’t elevate order for keyring inside and since there is no pacman.conf directive to do it, we have to do it manually. That’s what Archwiki article (in the linked post) explains. :person_shrugging:

If I am wrong, at least, I’ll learn something new today :rofl:

2 Likes

My thinking as well, hence my posting before.

One might think that it actually should be able to do it but apparently it’s not. Or is it :confused:

1 Like

I’m not saying you aren’t right, but the method described as above worked after Xfce offline was booted up the first time. (And I wasn’t the only one with that result.)

There is no objection the workaround is working fine. I also see the difference of offline, online installation cases, as well when this happens on a running system, as in my case.
I only wanted to propose for the next ISOs to be included in the installation procedure (install keyring first, then pacstrap/install, or something similar), because keyrings are always going to be renewed :smile: . That’s all.

3 Likes

the adequate :wink: way will be to install the updated archlinux-keyring explicitly before running the full system update… as it will make sure to update the local keyring.

so running:
sudo pacman -Syu

But on first system update after installing from Apollo ISO offline XFCE4 version it will work by simply running systemupdate twice… seems in this procedure it install the archlinux-keyring before the package that causes the issue (libinih) …

https://clbin.com/iwAIu
shows the second pacman -Syu on a fresh offline install

[2022-04-27T16:50:55+0200] [ALPM] upgraded archlinux-keyring (20220224-1 -> 20220424-1)
[2022-04-27T16:51:05+0200] [ALPM] upgraded libinih (53-2 -> 55-2)
5 Likes

The Arch Ways are indeed impenetrable!

:milky_way:

1 Like

already in the HotFix does the same already… but next ISO will do this in the same way:
https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-calamares/commit/0a06709d8edc9be5f3afe4b5112d25bcfbdd258b

Seems we do forget to reimplement on some changes.

But the current case is also 2 things at the same time happens… first the outdated keyring and second an issue with one specific key in addition…
keyissue

7 Likes

That’s some nice signature!
honka_animated-128px-3
honka_animated-128px-8

4 Likes

seems very https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/08/15_(Redewendung)

2 Likes