Another YouTube Crackdown - Are Apps Like FreeTube Doomed?

freetube immune for now

1 Like

Not having this enabled likely means we shouldn’t get those issues. Not having it enabled though, also means we’re pulling content directly from YouTube.

2 Likes

:headstone:

1 Like

On Android I use LibreTube, which in turn runs on Piped instances which you can pick yourself, not blocked at the moment. Do you think this crackdown also effects Piped instances in the future?

That’s the one million dollars’ question! Let’s hope not but YouTube seems to be on a crusade to make it impossible for any of these Libre frontends to work.

Let’s wait, hope and see!

I just cannot believe the behavior of all you bad citizens out there not bowing down to the corporate masters. Shame on you.

GOOLAGE RULUGES

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Actually: Good!

Those alternative frontends in the end just cement the YT monopoly. There’s no incentive for creators nor viewers to consider a different platform. Yes, there will be a lot of pain on both ends in the short term, but nothing is going to change otherwise.

piped.video seems to work for now, although some instances started to require logging in in order to be able to watch something :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Although I mostly agree with you, I use a different front-end on Android simply for the user experience. The default app, although I’m on a fully degoogled android ROM, as well as revanced I both don’t like all that much. I just never liked the user-experience and the fact that they both drain the battery quite fast in comparison. I can watch videos on my (particular) phone by about 2.5-3 hours longer by not using Youtube’s own application.

I can image others doing it for other reasons though.

Hahaha Laughing GIF - Hahaha Laughing Pirate GIFs

While browsing torrent sites

4 Likes

Agree and disagree. Yes, if YT is successful in blocking everything not authorised by them, then it means some YTers and their audiences will seek alternatives (which thankfully already exist).

However, the majority of them aren’t strong-willed enough to do so, and they will adhere to whatever YT does.

The majority of the population does what they are told, both for convenience and to fit in with the crowd.

YouTube “cracking down” doesn’t worry me the slightest bit.

The reality is this… As long as their service has a free tier that requires no subscription, the cat and mouse game will continue on for eternity.

This is precisely why ReVanced and xManager exist. Until free tiers disappear, it’s an uphill battle for these conglomerates. This is why Netflix refuses to offer a free tier. They know what will happen if they do.

They cement nothing, Youtube has been a monopoly for years.

With ytfzf, I can scrap results from Invidious, Odyssey or directly from Youtube.

I installed this from the Endeavour Extra repo…I’m madly in love with yt-dlp but I know ytfzf is a different animal. Heck, I’m excited at the idea watching videos in my terminal. never have…
Even in my [excruciatingly painful] week trying Lynx.

Anywhoos, I’m knee deep in a pile of --help , learning. I wonder if it brings in cookies or gets around them?

1 Like

Taka a look here

This is certainly a very useful post for you on how to generate thumbnails in ytfzf

2 Likes

it’s in the next tab and I am devouring it, thank you. this is where gedit comes in handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

surprised the pystardust was not in yay. did you git clone it or bust open the tarball and run the /.sh? or are they both the same?

ytfzf is in extra repo. I wonder why you want to clone pystardust git?

I know a lot more now then than when I asked :grin: —but I don’t like opening vids in default mpv…would rather watch in the terminal. I think I have to make a .conf file and leave default off…
…by chance you think gnome-terminal would need a plug-in to play video?

1 Like

Ok that makes sense :sweat_smile:

I’m not sure, I’ll watch it in mpv. A gnomer will have to help you with this, im on KDE

2 Likes