YAY is not maintained good anymore?

if you are lazy you can always do yay -S yup-bin :slight_smile:

move with cursor and select space then pres i for install :slight_smile:

at the end we can install other aur helper through yay , so is fine :slight_smile:

i use pakku myself more pacman type, pikaur is kinda pacaur i believe

1 Like

I am a fan of Pakku myself as well. :+1:

All hail Pakku:
Pakku_waterbends

4 Likes

To me, it is a ā€œyea or nayā€ kind of situation. :slightly_smiling_face:
To begin with, Linux is all about freedom of choice. KISS principle at instalation point & then there is a wide variety of choices, configurations, experimentations & alterations. For me, EndevourOS is just the starting point of setting up an Arch system, for theā€¦lazy (eg you & me :slightly_smiling_face:).
But I will not agree with you on what an average user will be looking for. To me, what you described is for the more advanced kind of user who is eager to take the time to search & experiment further on. Comparing & getting excited even with the hardly noticable differences & improvements. Because they can! Because GNU/Linux (in case Stallman is watching,lol) encourages to do so.
Cheers

4 Likes

if it aint broke, dont fix it

6 Likes

Or fix it until it is broken :wink:

5 Likes
1 Like

Ermanno jumps on the bandwagon.

1 Like

I installed the pre-compiled version:

paru-bin

It seems faster to search than yay.
My only issue with it is that I donā€™t find an option to ignore the review build question?

Also, of course as with Linux in general, it is more convenient in the long run if you copy

/etc/paru.conf

to

~/.config/paru/paru.conf

so you can edit it without Sudo.
Unless you have more than one sudo user on your machine, of course.

1 Like

I just watched this video and DT really goofed with it. Itā€™s quite misleading.

He says yay is no longer maintained, which is false, the last commit to git was 10 days ago.

Even worse, he runs paru -Syu and then answers n after updating the local package database for pacman. Then, he runs paru -S icecat which is quite possibly going to cause a partial update situation (luckily, he ^C out of it). You donā€™t do that in a video, people will think this is safe to do ā€“ it isnā€™t. :man_facepalming:t3:

9 Likes

it no take long to compile . Pinebookpro finish while i have a :smoking: :upside_down_face:

It is funny how things like this happen.

• A developer leaves a project and starts his own
  • The developer who left mentions in a post that he doesnā€™t think it will receive active updates due to his departure
  • The internet decides this means Yay is no longer maintained and must be abandoned despite there being no major issues and it still receiving updates
  • The ā€œtech journalistsā€ and youtube cognoscenti promote this myth without doing any actual fact checking

To be clear, if someone prefers paru over yay that is great. There are an absurd amount of AUR helpers out there and we all have our favorites. However, the promotion of the idea that we all must urgently switch from yay to paru is quite silly.

20 Likes

I see no reason for the EndeavourOS to switch default AUR helper. Yay is a very very good one.
One must also, as already pointed out, realize that actual Finished projects only recieves updates if actually needed. A mature AUR helper only really need to update if the Arch dev team changes something in Archā€™s structure or how Pacman works.
Itā€™s like expecting your computer to get a new BIOS update every week ā€œjust becauseā€. It wonā€™t be updated unless itā€™s needed.

However part of the Arch ecosystem is that most of us choosing Arch are people willing to try new things; even compared to other rolling or semi-rolling distros like Tumbleweed or Fedora which are more marketed towards a GUI only, ā€œStableā€ crowd. Even the devoted Manjaro users are probably far more into ā€œbleeding edge edginessā€ than the average Tumbleweed user.

7 Likes

No itā€™s not silly it is machevillian. The dev is deliberately bashing without tangible grounds the project they just left in order to make his new one appear like the better choice. This guy needs to demonstrate some integrity. I canā€™t see honestly how anyone would choose to use paru.

3 Likes

You are basically correct, however it seems paru is actually a very good bit of code. It is not pushing nonsense, but it is a very tacky tactic.

That said I am far more worried with people still pushing depleted AUR helpers in How-To:s than those pushing new ones.

2 Likes

I decided to give it a go just to see if itā€™s any better, but it didnā€™t go well.

Screenshot_20210126_134317

Thatā€™s gotta be the biggest error message Iā€™ve ever seen

4 Likes

The error message isnā€™t that long actually:

process didn't exit successfully: ... (signal: 9, SIGKILL: kill)

All the ā€œclutterā€ in between is the process(-name) with its argument list.

Not really. Here is what he actually wrote:

Jguer is still there, so thereā€™s no need to panic and move away from yay. Just donā€™t expect much new development on it.

But the internet hype machine took over from there.

10 Likes

For a few weeks now. Probably the best praise a tool like that can expect: works as expected, nothing noteworthy to report.

2 Likes

Figures!

1 Like