YAY is not maintained good anymore?

Paru for while and zero problem yet… think EOS should stay with yay ( as it super stable + most users not like change ) EOS Devs review again in months few time … that just my opinion :blush:

8 Likes

Uncomment Color in /etc/pacman/conf and run:

yay --combinedupgrade --save
3 Likes

I see that there is currently no issue with yay and we will stay with it as long as it is that trouble-free, and I do not see also yay is unmaintained, there is only this one issue with --editmenu option it will not use dependency changes as yay is using RPC I I do remember this right?

BUT I do see also that in case you want to change a PKGBUILD simple use makepkg is not that hard, a sit is not the case on a lot of AUR builds…

10 Likes

I think the reason --editmenu doesn’t see dependency changes is because the editing happens after dependency resolution. I don’t think it is a bug as much as a design decision.

EDIT: From the Yay FAQ

Yay doesn’t install dependencies added to a PKGBUILD during installation.

Yay resolves all dependencies ahead of time. You are free to edit the PKGBUILD in any way, but any problems you cause are your own and should not be reported unless they can be reproduced with the original PKGBUILD.

2 Likes

I don’t see any reason to stop using yay until it actually stops working…

2 Likes

Discussionis good’ at the end you can install abc on auhelpers aslong is table is fine too

Yes, I installed paru end of October 2020 and use it exclusively ever since.
No issues. It is great. And it is much faster than yay. I know that sounds silly. But it is true. It is noticeable.

If you are used to yay behaviour you want to check on the BottomUp option in /etc/paru.conf :wink:

3 Likes

Like staying on Linux 5.9 until it stops working?

Not quite - as long as yay works and doesn’t have security issues then it’s fine (like aurman). Lots of software can be “feature-complete” and therefore not need more adding to it.

If someone wants to fork to continue to develop new features that doesn’t mean the original is dead and buried and everyone should stop using it. :wink:

11 Likes

I’ll stick to yay as long as it does what I need it to do, or something clearly superior pops up.

1 Like

i do use pikaur also but in the end i do not see a huge difference to yay there, only double the letters to type :wink:

3 Likes

Indeed. I use the QWERTZ keyboard layout so Y and Z are swapped from their normal positions. That means that Y and A are really close together and I can just mash them with my left pinky. :rofl:

So is it ok to have yay & paru both installed at the same time? “BottomUp” option?

Thanks.

Yes, you can have both installed, I did it. Bur for now I’m still using yay

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I see no reason to change from yay, but I do prefer pikaur to other alternatives if eventually a switch needs to happen. That being said, I haven’t spent much time with paru yet, so I’m going to start using it to give it a try. I also like topgrade, but I’m sure people will be opposed to that due to it being even further than the Arch “Way” than yay.

Update: Installed paru. Although I didn’t take any detailed data, it seemed like a really long build to me. Much longer than the few other AUR things I build, like pikaur, topgrade, pamac and non-AUR build Brave. However, once built, seems to work very well. So far so good but obviously I have only been using it minimally so far.

1 Like

I’m a fan of pakku, which is unmaintained but has a maintained fork. It functions extremely similarly to pacman.

Using yay is no issue as long as there isnt any secruity related problems that pop up.

4 Likes

There’s this paru-bin package already precompiled by the dev, saves the trouble of compiling.

1 Like

Okay.
For the ‘average’ user it’s not quite that simple.
If I pop up two Konsole windows and do ‘yay office’ and ‘paru office’ then there are several extremely important differences:

Paru is playing with the colour scheme and comes out slightly ahead with it’s use of colour… my experience is that it’s clearer and more legible. One very major hiccup, however, which really needs to be brought up (maybe I’ll file a bug later) is that I really really wanna type the letters y a y but I don’t want to do an alias.

I played with trizen a while, but am lazy to play with the config - and the default is clean, but a little lighter on information.

So for now, yay is my default but I use paru when I go looking for anything…

Anyway, paru comes to me via chaotic-aur prebuilt at 2.36MB so I’ll be playing with both until one falls seriously behind.

Pikaur is interesting in that you get to go through all the package builds before you start work - however I miss having the size listed from the initial search… I couldn’t see how to get that included in the config file.

So we have yay, and yuy (alias for paru easily typed with two fingers… because I really am that lazy…)

4 Likes