Windows 11 Thoughts!

I had to set up a windows computer today, the whole experience is switching off all the spyware and trying to avoid them getting me to login via online account. Had to click my way trough at lesst 3-4 times and at each step they were hiding the option to do an offline account or making sure to tell me how insecure my experience will be if I dont log into the windows account.

That mkes me feel :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Sorry, precise, GUI has some slight resemblance. No offense :roll_eyes:

You just install Windows. Say no to everything. Then when itā€™s finally installed after going through all the stupid nonsense then change your account to a local account!

Well I said no, then wanted to start the Edge browser and it asked me if I wouldnā€™t mind login into my windows account:face_with_raised_eyebrow: nice try!

I think all these experience donā€˜t want me make to try the new win11. I donā€˜t think it is getting better but I might be wrong. Anyone who wants to try it or like it, thats your right. But nothin for me.

Isnā€™t Edge just some kind of re-badged Chromium? If so why not use that? :man_shrugging:

Well just describing my experience trying to setup and use vanilla windows today. I shut down that win box asap.

Edit: I would probably install firefox if it came down to using it for work on a frequent basis. Hopefully not.

Edit2: was trying to make webex working, I also dont like this app, not very crossplatform compatible

Ha! I had the same experience trying out Win 10. I had an old desktop PC knocking about so I thought Iā€™d see what was going on out of curiosity. I managed 3 days before I wiped the hard drive. Itā€™s currently running Arch with Openbox :grin:

1 Like

Screenshot (1)

Advanced Options: wipe your hard drive and get a life free from F.U.D. Install a Linux Distro. :wink:

2 Likes

Windows 24, yeah same old s*** re-badged! Registry? My Ass!

Windows 24 is obviously a look into the future btw.

Well the windows 11 was spoiled by MX linux release :laughing: this blogger lives in an alternate realityā€¦

1 Like

FWIW :innocent:

Windows 10 is basically ā€œwe are pissing you off with our useless bloatware and spying you for making money and much more, apart of that, we are classist, thatĀ“s why you cant run windows 11 in your low end computer. Apart from that, our operating system is a frankenstein with countless errorsā€

Bro, if you are going to take my money, at least make a decent operating system, you piece of shā€¦

1 Like

I just switched to windows 11!

EXPLICIT CONTENT

No just kidding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Overall I very much appreciate the UI changes. This is what I expected to happen a lot earlier in the Windows 10 lifecycle.

It also continues the trend of interconnecting everything through the cloud. That of course enables a lot of convenient features which the average Joe canā€™t be expected to figure out. On the other hand it feels like a rented place, nothing that I own or control.

I use a tablet as media consumption device, and it is an iPad. Windows 11 makes it much more likely to consider a Windows tablet in the future (esp. if Linux is a viable option). But I donā€™t see me running Windows 11 as my personal main device.

PS: And of course the installation somehow ate the Linux bootloader on the physically different drive. :roll_eyes:

I have a few apps which make me keep Windows in collection of OSes. I donā€™t actually have it installed on bare metal anywhere, but only run it in a few virtual machines. With libvirt, qemu and tpm2-tss I get a passing grade from the Win 11 PC Health Check. Iā€™ve already upgraded the VM to Win11 and will probably leave it like that for the few apps I use.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious ā€¦ which Windows Programs do you have to use? I work in a corporate environment so it is constantly a struggle for me with proprietary applications.

After reviewing the different articles I find it a shame that the new hardware requirements were designed to really push people to new devices. Maybe it is a boon that Windows 10 will be supported till 2025.

On the point of Windows 11 Features, is there anything there they could have not just added in a Windows 10 Feature update? So my cut tells me Windows 11 is really a marketing ploy.

What I would have like to have seen:

1. Give users of the HOME platform the ability to shut off telemetry and other privacy features in the control panel instead of using a 3rd party script.

2. Self tuning of the OS when device configuration or resources are limited:

Windows 10 20H1 has many applications and services starting when the system first boots up. So on older PCs which have 6gb or less it should me smart enough to look at the system configuration and know it should not be sucking up 2.5 to 3 GB of memory on a vanilla install from an ISO (all patches applied) after logging into the desktop. There should be some self tuning here to help normal users. Maybe better categorize and delay certain services to spread things out instead of big bang on start and system is slow the first 30 minutes.

1. Stop showing technical preview Windows updates. These should only be shown if the user requests.

2. An automated\wizard to help clients collect the technical data required when reporting a bug.

3. Full disclosure of all the data Microsoft is capturing via Windows 11.

Pretty much Windows 11, like 10 seems like another Beta release like this is what we have so far. My personal expectation is a more component assembled system where the system could be tailored and made very light. So you could boot into it in 1 software configuration and use it as a game console. Boot in with a different software configuration and now it is my Productivity machine.

<Warning ā€¦ Rant> :slight_smile:

I think they are perfectly capable of doing this but rather have consumers buy a multitude of devices which end up in land fills in 4 t o 5 years. Iā€™m glad that we have the choice of Linux (EndeavourOS, Arch, Debian, ETC). Because we have real choices. I think some of you may agree that without choice for the normies has resulted in one major visible shift, they stop using PCā€™s and used their Phones and Tablets primarily. And at least for now for non Apple users their privacy and security is at higher risk due companies not offering security patches for production operating systems. We see the responsibility to disseminate patches for Android is on the shoulders of your vendor. Iā€™m not sure the change we needed from Microsoft has happened yet. But like everything ā€¦ they have something to sell you whether you want it or not.

The only reason I use Windows are games with anti-cheat. Those will be coming to Linux in the upcoming weeks/months. Iā€™m not gonna bother with Windows 11 as Iā€™m probably uninstalling Windows soon enough and apparently performance in games are worse on 11 compared to 10.