Why no LXDE category…?

As we can all see our Endeavour’s main web page lists LXDE under Our Flavours.
Endeav_LXDE-01

Yet on our Forum there is no LXDE category for the King of Lightweight DEs.

We have categories for bug ridden, little used Lxqt, Deepin, Herbstluftwm, Enlightenment and even Moksha but nothing for reliable, efficient and wickedly fast LXDE – why…?

Is this because our Mods freak out with panic attacks at the mere mention of LXDE or lightweight…? Lost count of the number of Topics or comments prematurely closed down to end any discussion.

Usual derision by those who should know better – LXDE; only Openbox with a taskbar – efficiency is of no importance – etc etc.

Any competent observer will tell you efficiency is synonymous with lower power consumption never mind bringing new life to older hardware and saving yet more e-waste.

EndeavourOS may be updated by the minute or second yet our forum is so outdated and out of touch with our planet and the real world.

ArchWiki quote:- “The “Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment” is an extremely fast-performing and energy-saving desktop environment. Maintained by an international community of developers, it comes with a beautiful interface, multi-language support, standard keyboard short cuts and additional features like tabbed file browsing. LXDE uses less CPU and less RAM than other environments. It is especially designed for cloud computers with low hardware specifications, such as, netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LXDE

Whenever I see thousands moving – sheeplike :sheep: fashionistas :ram: trendies – in one direction I instinctively choose my own pathway thus; as we keep getting the message about LXDE for old hardware or low resources, low RAM whatever, I went with a LXDE distro on my Dell i7 with 8GiB RAM and overloaded it with unnecessary applications. Even after customising it performed faultlessly, saving power too, and so, so fast born of efficiency – not hype. :wink:

ps: I would like to follow this community member and install LXDE then remove Xfce.

However there is no help regarding LXDE on Discovery either

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/desktop-environments/how-to-install-desktop-environments-next-to-your-existing-ones/2021/03/

1 Like

Are you purposely abrasive to draw arguments, or does it just come naturally and you don’t even realize you’re doing it?

You could just install it. . It’s one of the options when you install EOS. . .

7 Likes

Nevermind, I was using the wrong ISO.

:sweat:

EDIT :

2022-02-09-install

2 Likes

I thought it was added with Atlantis, no?

4 Likes

Latest release has LXDE added :wink:
And yes the category /subcategory is missing @Bryanpwo can add it I would say ?

6 Likes

@otherbarry I was going to say, I know I was losing my mind a little, but there’s no way it’s that far gone yet.

3 Likes

2022-02-09_20-46
the proof

6 Likes

has the best way to install it from scratch…

1 Like

Did not realise quoting ArchWiki was abrasive - though; do I presume correctly that they know what they are talking about when it comes to LXDE and efficiency…? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Or is it that they agree with me that riles you so?
Why not just answer the questions I have posed rather than being so abrasive? :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure how easy this is - hence my reference to lack of information on this forum or more importantly on Discovery. I had to install offline version of EnOS as online just hung there for ages with no activity. :frowning_face:

Please could someone answer my questions - abrasive or calmly - no problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Difficult to discern questions from rant … but if you want to install the LXDE desktop on EOS it is an option in the Atlantis online installer.

Or just install a barebones DE-less EOS system and set it up yourself, afterall EOS is basically Arch with an installer and a handful of tools in a third party repo.

4 Likes

That was just one if many in your post.

One click of the mouse.

3 Likes

yes as @fbodymechanic says it is on the ISO selections since last releases, you can choose in the same way as all the others…
2022-02-09_21-07

4 Likes

To be clear about categories listed :eye_in_speech_bubble: on our forum… lets play spot LXDE :eye: :eyes:

EnOS-DEs-01

Let us be clear - I never got to see screenshots above showing LXDE or not - as I was forced to install the Xfce OFFLINE VERSION - Thanks Guys

I created the LXDE category, my fault, i forgot to create it after Atlantis neo

2 Likes

Consider yourself admonished :wink:

and thank goodness for the ignore function on this forum

3 Likes

if so you can install it from the package lists:

git clone https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-packages-lists.git
cd EndeavourOS-packages-lists
sudo pacman -Sy --needed - < lxde
1 Like

Thanks Joe - how I wish :star_struck: - just need to get there from where I am now. You give me great hope - now if I could loose the trendy pinky purple I could reach Nirvana tonight…! Wonderfull - energy saving too :electric_plug: :zap: :smiley:

Why were you were forced to install xfce? Do you not have internet where you are??

I do understand it was humour, but you could also just ask if something is missing…

2 Likes

i would bet:

Was the leading poem for the post :wink:

2 Likes