Which privacy browser?

1 Like

Exactly. I find it extremely weird that they rag on every single browser going, yet recommend the one that is potentially the worst one there!

“I don’t recommend this browser because it pings home once per day”

“But use this browser, despite the fact that it blocks legit extensions, hates privacy, insults their own community and their website and browser are used as a MitM attacker!”

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Yeah, the entire website is a pile of steaming, conspiracy-riddled :poop:

I dont understand where you guys read this? (https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/browsers.html)

There isnt any recommandation wich browser to use?

Why it is conspiracy riddled? they just facts (with sources) what wich browser do.

And everybody can decide if this is ok for usecase x or not.

The question was still “wich privacy browser?” and there is (until now, execpt few cli browsers) only two answers like already said (librewolf, ungoogled-chromium).

For example? With librewolf and ungoogled-chromium you have even more security as with the standard firefox or chrome. Because of stronger settings wich was choosen by default, or removing of binary plobs nobody can say (only the author) what bugs are in it (most are codecs from third party that are not needed).

Googles “Safe Browsing” (wich Mozilla uses too) is for example not more security. But this is a another topic wich can fire a hole another discussion :slight_smile:

Like already posted by me, https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/index.html would be a another place with detailed reason wich one why is bad. With logs from wireshark and other tools to look what request some browser do.

But like i already said, this is a topic wich every user must decide self what to use.

For me its clear like water: Privacy means for me, no single no needed connection is done and “nothing left my home” wich i didnt active say to do so.

20 Years ago this was Firefox. But since Mozilla active decided to do the same datacollecting crapshow like google, its dead for me (sadly, is still good browser).

3 Likes

Indeed, as i’ve said before somewhere here - it’s tool for censorship, even if it’s not used for that 100% of time.

1 Like

I think what @dalto meant is this: since there is a delay in updates for all forked projects (usually a day or two, with more popular forks), you are still using an outdated browser for this short period, and if there is a well-known browser vulnerability that attackers could take advantage of, you are vulnerable until the fork gets an update.

Personally, I’m willing to take my chances with that.

4 Likes

Yes, especially given that with LibreWolf delay is very fast, compared to other forks, definitely faster than my usual system update schedule :rofl:

Well can you say more about the source of the article, especially the author. I don’t see this article about Firefox to be informative, it’s a bunch of vulgar rants. Not impressed.

uff.

This is true too. But to be honest, that is a hole another “problem”. But if you are not a “expert” (and with expert, i mean the user knows how to update the browser (on windows or linux)), you dont update you browser “fast enough” anyway. I still see often enough people wich use old versions of Firefox or Chrome or what ever, because they are annoyed of “thousands of notifications every few secounds” and delay it, and delay it, and delay it…

But anyway. Dont let us start here a friendly discussion. Because that would be totaly ot :slight_smile:

Hehe. Thats disturbs you? And not already how the Website looks? :joy:

Yeah, Nerds and Geeks with solid skills or knowledge are often a little cringy/sarcastic or simple “aggressive”.

But i dont care. For me only counts what technically is written.

Perhaps they refer to this :arrow_double_down: right at the bottom of the page:

Pale Moon is still the only decent way to browse the modern web that’s actually relevant

The only reasonable choice is Pale Moon until Web Browser gets more support.

:man_shrugging:t6:

This isnt a recommandation. This is a personal opinion.

It is a difference to say:

“you should use XYZ!”

and

“i use XYZ!”

like:

I use Arch BTW :joy:

Well at least on this link it’s not technically written. It sounds like a random dude rant. No offense to you.

Yeah the website looks shady :rofl: I have privacy concerns now.

Edit: perhaps we are doomed to use a terminal based browser

Me too!
:rofl:

I wouldn’t mind.
I’m seriously thinking to bring my online life to a bare minimum to get my real life back :wink:

What’s that thing people keep talking about? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Only this forum is real.

3 Likes

You would know if you logged off for a second :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What if you run Firefox with private browsing enabled?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/private-browsing-use-firefox-without-history

I would say the major level of privacy concern I have is the level of access ISP providers have on my router and IP traffic. I am also thinking about getting a separate firewall to make sure the ISP cannot snoop within my home network.

Edit: obviously we are at the 600 hundreds something post, so this might have been answered. But just wondering if it’s really worth to switch to another Firefox derivative packaged by someone else with potential risk of update lag and another middle man while significant website tracking can be disabled within ff

Edit 2: Post 700!

Woot :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I dont remember that i took the blue pill :thinking:

Same issue. Its says its “private”, but only for show. What it really means is that theoretical a another non private tab cant look into a private tab whats inside. or to access the cookies from a private tab and so forth. But Mozilla still sees and collect everything.

Harhar. Yes, thats a good Idea. Thats the reason why i didnt use any isp router. Have “build a own router” with a modem and opnsense.

But here a example from me:

And over 10 million Domains are Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Whatsapp, Tiktok and aaaaaaaaaaany other (socialmedia-) company wich is known to collect data :rofl:

(And yes, any Visitor i get says: “why the fuck dont work the internet?, im connected to wlan?”. And then i say: Because the internet isnt only google facebook and whatsapp :rofl:)

It is. If you want a Firefox derivative, than Librewolf would be the way to go. I never waited longer than 1 - 2 days upstream with firefox. But if you until today didnt worried about that, you can still use firefox.

Anyway, in technical/science view, it could even better to use everything what anybody else uses, because you go under in the masses. Because for example if somebody is totaly “isolated from the datacollecting victims”, they get fingerprinted too because they stand out of the masses on data if you understand me right. Like always, a healthy middle way is the solution.

Well you are really digging into that topic I see and tracking the trackers :grin:

I am for sure just using Firefox. However, lately I had very strange behavior between Gmail and Firefox. Gmail keeps hanging or can’t reconnect, something strange is going on. On chromium no problem. Might have a go at libre wolf.

No need to comment on Gmail… My work place uses it, all my data sold to Google :disappointed_relieved: absolute none sense.

Yeah. Maybe because i grow up between 80-90’s in Germany and saw how bad surveillance was in the DDR until the Wall falled. And in the 90’s we had Internet too, but it was the evil internet. Everybody teached you not to enter private data or credentials or credit cards numbers into it (the last one wasnt popular in germany anyway) because somebody could steal and use it.

And today? Ha! Everybody wants today to be keeped under surveillance because its nice to use whatsapp for example because it didnt cost anything and that everybody uses whatsapp is too convenient. And there are two types of user: The first one didnt know, the last one didnt care because they say they havent anything to hide… But anyway, thats the time today we livin in.

Ah that is a known behaviour. Thats a side symptom from tapping into a dataline by the FBI :nerd_face: You are been watched by big brother :sunglasses: (just kiddin, dont worry)

3 Likes