Which laptop would be better?

I’m looking for a smaller laptop…

Cuz I have the work one on windows 11(quite a weird distro, ngl even arch is more stable than it, especially now I’ll have to not update it forcefully for 2 weeks, bcz bugs in windows updates) and the other one is far to big and heavy to carry it around is both a windows 10 backup laptop and it runs endeavour os from an external ssd.

I found some sites that sell second hand and refurbished laptops. And I could order one in a few months when I’ll save up some bucks…

I’m not sure which one would do better, here’s what’s on my list for now:

Okay. You’ve got a list of candidates, that’s great.

But the more important question is this: what are your other requirements besides the machine’s size?

Not too many req, only to have stuff like ethernet, HDMI and a few working USBs along with a working screen

DELL, although it’s low end machine - still build quality of DELL is mostly top notch.

P.S. F$CK Windows <insert_number>

What about ideapad laptops from Lenovo? They are pretty good

Lenovo, compared to most (not all) DELL - mostly joke, in my view.

With one exception - old ThinkPads with killed Intel ME! :sunglasses:

Come onnn, they are not so bad

Where have i said they’re bad? :upside_down_face:

I thought you implied that when you said “mostly joke”. :turkey:

Key word was compared, everything is in comparison…but yeah, build quality is not stellar.
Still Lenovo would be much better than let’s say…super-cheap Acer or something :clown_face:

Gobble gobble :handshake:

1 Like

HP is absolute rubbish, especially their “Elitebooks”. I use one of those daily, as it’s the laptop my company has given me for work. The build quality is atrocious, I broke the keyboard at least 5 times, and the first battery it came with almost exploded (got swollen so much that it permanently deformed the metal case).

3 Likes

Considering what you’ve just described, I’m surprised that it even lasted long enough for you to break the keyboard that many times.

1 Like

I’ve been using it for three years now, I expect it will be replaced this year. The service department ran out of spare keyboards.

Dell is my choice there. I like higher end Dell’s and Thinkpads. I’d avoid HP with the caveat I’d really like to try the HP Dev One at some point. But I can’t attest to that one particular model, I just want to try it since it came with PopOS

1 Like

Aaah…we got ourselves a programmer here! :rofl:
But yeah, what you’ve said is exactly what i’ve meant about build quality.

1 Like

Here it is in its current state:

The up arrow key is gone (from terminal use).

1 Like

Speaking from experience, no doubt. Makes me wonder if HP is truly the inspiration behind your user name.

1 Like

No…but it should! :rofl:

That FROGGE on your screen must have eaten the key… :frog:

1 Like