Which DE are you using?

i3 makes every DE better. I love tiles!

3 Likes

i don’t know there some things this setup has its drawn but mayby is the settings

I seemed to have a soft spot for Xfce.

I also use several types of DE, but mostly XFCE.

1 Like

I have Budgie installed, because I came here from Solus. IMHO, Budgie is best used on Solus. They have it polished so well, I must appreciate them.
But I have failed to replicate that experience on Budgie on arch. For distros other than Solus, Gnome turns out to be a better option.

I keep Budgie installed, but my daily driver is i3, with xfce as a fallback option.

1 Like

I agree Budgie is missing some things that i can’t seem to add either. I like the setup better on Solus with the start menu and desktop folders which makes it more traditional like Cinnamon. The Current setup is more Gnome-ish. Definitely more polished on Solus.

1 Like

You can have desktop icons on our budgie if you like.

I just tried this and there is no desktop in tweaks?

I think he means you need to install gnome tweaks. I can try it later on and will report back.

I installed gnome tweaks but no desktop.

And nemo? Ok. Its cinamon, but is also a fork if nautelus…

Apparently it can be done. All the info is really old.

It may not be possible anymore. Like i said i am not at a linux box atm to play with it.

This has happened once at Antergos on the Mate desktop as well.

Plasma. It just works out of the box and is fast. I like Gnome, but using lots of extensions seems to break the system. I simply made my KDE have a MX Linux feel (my second favorite distro) and that just works for me.

Screenshot_20200505_230811

4 Likes

I just have to ask someone who uses Plasma - how do you get around the ‘sudo’ restrictions they’ve been adding? When I first powered it up for a look, I couldn’t even find a place with a graphic file manager to even find the rest of the filesystem (like the /boot dir, that I needed to add something in), and even the default editor (which appears to be Kate) won’t work on something like /etc/fstab. I am sure there are workarounds (and thank heaven for the presence of nano!) but I don’t know them, and it was lot of typing to get around it at the time. Somehow, adding Thunar seems disrespectful!

So - how is anything accomplished? Some of it looks great - but I play around in the guts too often for the standards as given. Are they catching Macitis over there?

Configure Dolphin > Services > Download new services > Root actions service menu

Then you can change the permissions of whichever folders, or the whole system to current user

1 Like

that sounds better than I found myself - but I don’t want to change permissions - just have sudo access when needed, while browsing graphically. My usual move is to “open folder as root” when needed, as that allows editing or pasting files in or…

Is that possible to set up as well? I have a Plasma system setup (2 actually, partially, one Endeavour and one Kubuntu 20.04) and was wondering whether to keep it going… (I was trying to debug a conky problem for someone - only to find that the font rendering has been updated/changed enough that things won’t display the same as on other systems)

Thanks for the pointer though, and I’ll try it out later.

The naive sudo kate /etc/fstab won’t work I suppose? I wanted to test Kate, but it’s going to drag 45 deps with it :crazy_face: I am not ready for that :sweat_smile: But I see kate-root package in the AUR (out-of-date unfortunately), which doesn’t predict anything good…

1 Like

My understanding may be flawed, but I gathered that things are being altered so that Kate will ask for a password when it needs it to write - but that at the moment it just doesn’t work. What I read suggests that the same may be true for Dolphin - but I couldn’t get sudo or gksu or whatever to go. Luckily nano was only a yay away! (or a sudo apt install). It certainly made for a frustrating introduction though!

1 Like

I appreciate that we can update this poll for those of us who simply can’t seem to stay in any one place for too long. Also, I find it interesting that there are more people using “other” than “budgie.”

3 Likes