What video player do you use?

I’ve been using Celluloid for a while now, curious what everyone else is using. Thanks.

2 Likes

mpv for the actual video, but smplayer for the gui.

1 Like

Same here: Celluloid

I can’t remember why i stopped using VLC. :thinking:

1 Like

smplayer

Because it is a resource intensive mess?

3 Likes

Yes possibly. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use VLC. Used VLC more years than I can remember. Must have seen thousands of movies and series with it. It has always been faithful to me and never let me down.

1 Like

I do have a few videos that I have to play with VLC. For whatever reason mpv simply will NOT play them at the correct aspect ratio, so they look AWFUL. And it’s not a common aspect (not that I know what it IS), so can’t fix it via the menus to force an aspect ratio. But VLC plays them correctly.

1 Like

mpv only, without any skins!

VLC makes too many problems (e.g. it never terminates properly, you have to kill the process first)

Celluloid on x86 I still look for arm :woozy_face:

Kodi. I have been using it since it was was called XBMC. The first version I used was XBMC Camelot around 2006.

1 Like

I like Celluloid too!

1 Like

Video is bloat :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

+1 smplayer/mpv, never heard of celluloid :smiley: Time for a play.

2 Likes

VLC here. For me the best video player out there. Sometimes I watch lessons back, and with MPV when I set speed like around 1.8, VLC handles it much better then mpv for me.

1 Like

I have been using Clapper, it is being created by I think one person who wants to replace totem the Gnome video player. It has made great progress so far.

GitHub - Rafostar/clapper: A GNOME media player built using GJS and powered by GStreamer with OpenGL rendering. Can also be used as a pre-made widget for Gtk apps.

I had to do the same thing. I will admit I launched it exactly once, looked at the gui, and -Rsn’d it.

1 Like

VLC mostly out of habit, and because it has never failed me, and I’ve been using it for a loooong time.

1 Like

I use whatever comes along with the system, until it doesn’t do something I want… then I look for alternatives (while using VLC)

1 Like

MPlayer. It seemed quite clumsy at first (no menus), but you can easily get used to the keyboard shortcuts. Reliable.

1 Like