What do you guys and gals prefer to use as your daily driver

tried to edit buy no its not possible

1 Like

I appreciate you trying to do that. Thanks. :smiley: :+1:t2:

1 Like

ofc like I said I forgot - MAte deserves a place

1 Like

Since October 2013 (version 2.0 onwards), Cinnamon is no longer a frontend on top of the GNOME desktop like Unity or GNOME Shell, but a discrete desktop environment in its own right. Although Cinnamon is still built on GNOME technologies and uses GTK+, it no longer requires GNOME itself to be installed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(desktop_environment)

I think it is enough independent to deserve an option for voting.

Myself, I switch between Xfce, Cinnamon, Gnome and KDE.

1 Like

I knew it didn’t need Gnome but it uses Gnome technologies - to me that’s enough Gnome.
But if I could edit the poll I wouldn’t mid adding Cinnamon.
And approx 76 different windowm managers :rofl:

1 Like

razor QT the Owner before it, wanted to create a MAc type of feel :slight_smile: as history but the name is lost :slight_smile:

I can’t remember that one. Elementary is quite like a Mac-type look though, and although Mac and Linux are very different including filesystems, they both have Unix origins and share many Unix commands. :slightly_smiling_face:

linux doesn’t exactly have unix origins - unix-like yes
Mac on the other hand with Darwin is unix

And the whole Elementary looks like Mac is way off to me- I used only mac before I came to Linux - have never used windows. True Elementary desktop kinda looks like Mac but it behaves nothing like it. And where Elementary was exiting and looked fresh like 6-7 years ago nothing have happened - they look the same today. Today IMHO the desktop that looks interesting is Deepin and they also have some nice features

There used to be PearOS tho which both looked and behaved like Mac but they were bought up by an unknown company years ago. They looked like Max just used a Pear instead of an Apple in the global menu.

It’s not exact no, but a huge amount of shell commands are Unix commands. Of course Linux has many of it’s own commands too as do BSD and MacOS/OS-X.

I guess it’s how you look at it. I never used Windows before Linux, I came here from the Mac World (Atari TOS originally!) and I found Linux very familiar in many ways even though the file structure differs from Macs. To me they are similar, I just wish that the two file systems were more compatible, but I guess Apple may not like that! :laughing:

1 Like

Oh yeah, Pear OS! I was trying to remember that when replying to @ringo earlier :grin:

1 Like

agreed - I kinda felt home right away in Linux coming from Mac - some things was different ofc but still I felt it was familiar

yeah it was a very very nice replica of MacOS.
There were rumours that Apple bought the guy behind it out because of how close to Mac it looked. Was never confirmed tho - but in his closing letter he confirmed his distro had been bought by a huge well known company . So we can only speculate

The only daily driver that I seem to run back to is XFCE.

1 Like

I always seem to run back to XFCE when other DE’s break or just annoy me. With XFCE it changes so little and so slowly I just know it’s gonna work. I think the vanilla DE needs a lot of work to stop looking prehistoric though :wink:

At the moment though I’m lovin’ Plasma because it finally seems to be stable after many years of aaarrgghh!!! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

nothing wrong with that - I use only tiling wm’s myself - but if I had to choose a DE I’d pick xfce most likely - it’s modular you can change almost everything it’s almost as customizable as a window mnager. I can def see why people choose xfce. I would choose another wm myself tho but that’s just preference and one of the great things with Linux - you can mix and match - use this from that DE and that from this wm and whater your preferences are are the limits. Something like Gnome on the other hand is very rigid and not very modular - but if there should be one Linux Desktop my vote would go to Gnome -even though I dislike very much about it. But they know what they want and work towards that - and that I can respect.

3 Likes

btw - we two must be two of very very few- I have never used windows in my life - the closest is ms dos in 90/91 then I went mac and stayed with them until I switched to Linux. Even when I buy a laptop in the store I tell the guy there to get me into bios or uefi so I can put linux on it. So my thinkpads have linux on them before I leave the store. I just refuse to touch windows - but tbh I think it was ms dos and the commandline there that really got me into Linux after years on Macs - when Apple decided to go with Intel I stayed with the for two releses of Macbooks and then I jumped ship. HAven ot looked back once since - I owned the first iphone but later ditched it for some other phone and when android came I jumbped on there too. And today after years on atch - if Arch where to disappear not I’d got to BSD. I could go back to Mac - it’s not like I hate Macs - I justt hink they are overpriced and these days they are full of problems that didn’t exist back when we had powerpc’s - I’d love to have one of those now - obv very low powered today but still - it was my first love of computers - beofre I found my first true love with pacman :smiley:

2 Likes

Pacman! :heart_eyes: That’s the main thing for me. There are some other nice distros around but they don’t all use pacman. I just like the way it is and I really can’t be bothered to learn another package manager’s syntax now. I find Arch is a joy, and it is a great help as a learning tool for Linux.

I think you’re right about being some of “the few”. So many ex-windows or windows/linux dual booters here in linux-land. Very rare to find Mac users. I still have 2 old white MacBooks but one is geriatric now (32-bit/Snow Leopard, runs hot) and the other is OK (white unibody 64-bit/Sierra) but they are really only used for particular applications occasionally now.

Endeavour is the place to be for the community vibe in Linux though, never mind the hardware or the desktop :smile:

That MATE logo is like a bloody great billboard on the side of an American Interstate Highway!! :laughing:

1 Like

White MAcbooks you mean the first intel books - that’s was like 2003/2004 right I owned one of those 1280x800 res and back then I thought it was stunning - I think it was OSX tiger. Then came the first MAcbook Pro (which was my last mac)

And yeah pacman and handling of packages in Arch is superior to any other distro I’ve tried. ppa’s are hell compared to how easy things are with pacman + the community make almost every thinkable package available through aUR. And it’s all accesible trough the packagemanager - or one of the wrappers. but it beat ppa’s any day

example someone I knew used ubuntu and he loved spotify - which was kinda tricky to get in ubuntu - at least back then . So I told him - in arch I just do pacaur spotify and its installed. Long story short - today he’s on Arch :rofl:

Yeah the first intel MacBook was 2006 (my older one) running Tiger. It was great at the time but came with 512MB of RAM :scream: Upgrading to 2GB made it usable.

I’d still like a MacBook Pro if they weren’t so expensive. A Dell XPS with discrete GPU running Endeavour or Arch would be just as good for less money.

1 Like