What do you expect from Windows 11?

Maybe there aren’t that many ads on the Mac because it’s a less prevalent, much more closed world.
I decided to try the Mac too because it is Unix based. Plus, macOS looks much nicer than Windows.

Support is indeed an important thing, although in my personal experience, Apple’s support is nowhere near as good as Microsoft’s. If support costs are included, maintaining Linux systems will cost at least as much as maintaining Windows or macOS. It’s a perpetual debate anyway about whether Linux is actually completely free, but see the fate of the Munich city administration project as an example.

Closed source proprietary spyware, adware and bloatware.

3 Likes

You just answered your own question. Have you had your coffee yet?

2 Likes

“Linux is free; the power to harness it is not”
Also, aren’t Munich moving back to Linux again?

Na, that’s just one point. There usually are enough other things from the update taking long (which it doesn’t anymore), to forced updates (which is not really true), it’s bloated, to many other things people claim are bad to the bone. In the end, you can just throw a debloater at Windows and it’s somewhat okay.

On top of that, it’s simply impossible to run anything relevant on Linux, if you want to have decent management and CAD systems involved. Windows has it’s pros and that’s definitely the wide range of professional software, which will probably not change in the foreseeable future.

Overall people always forget that companies want to focus on their work and Linux simply is no option for that outside of the software engineering world. That alone makes Linux pretty bad in many many areas. You (and I) can say Linux is the best thing there is, but the truth is, it lacks a lot of necessary software.

Wine is getting really good at running some of that software, and I foresee it only getting better and better. As someone who does some CAD, about two years ago, I was very unhappy with the state of CAD on Linux, but now Wine runs everything I need, and there are a few native, free and open source CAD programs that are being worked on. They are nowhere near the functionality as the proprietary CAD programs for Windows, but they are getting there.

Sadly, even if those programs may run on itself somewhat decent, there still is a problem with other programs connecting to it. Our software, for example, can connect to a lot of other programs that all only run on Windows and I doubt it will be a pleasant experience to do that through Wine.

Overall, no company will even run things through Wine, because there is no support and if something doesn’t work you are fucked. So the only solution to this problem are Linux native versions of most popular programs, which simply will not happen. Windows probably will be the most important software foundation in the next 10+ years and Linux will have a really hard time to catch up to it.

This is I was excited for in Windows 10:

Good times. Six freaking years ago. Aaaaand it’s gone.

Well this time I really expect them to break with the past and provide a new, modern, sleek experience at least on the desktop. It seems that Covid reminded them that their boring, multi-billion device business is actually very important.

There’s a lot of money in cloud an services, but the interface to that is what people have right in front of them, and that has to be appealing too. Break some eggs, unify your developer story and stick to it. Put 25 year old legacy support into a VM.

I’ve transitioned to Windows 11 for my Windows stuff ( office and the odd game that I don’t want to live without that doesn’t play well with windows ).

Initially I thought they’d improved the consistency of the UI, but after using it more there’s still plenty of elements from a variety of past versions.

I just don’t get why they’ve suddenly rushed into this when it’s just gating newer software technologies behind their absurd hardware requirements.

Overall MS had been gaining mindshare due to appearing to be less abusive in comparison to their competition ( they were increasing their abusive practices at a lower rate than others ). The nagging and lies that come with MS Edge and now Windows 11 have made me reevaluate them.

This is constantly changing from time to time. They use Linux once and then go back to Windows. This was the famous Limux project. Now they are using Linux again.

CrossOver is also available to run Windows programs.

I participated in Windows Insider years ago, before Windows 10 came out. Then the development went towards simplification and minimization. Do you think this process has changed now with Windows 11? For my part, I see no change in that.

I doubt any program will support these kind of workarounds. Besides that, CrossOver is based on WINE and doesn’t claim to support all programs, as mentioned in the feature graph at the bottom of their page, which in itself is a problematic statement for any company that’s interested. A company would be crazy to invest in a workstation and not use the officially supported channels and OS. Best case it somewhat works, worst case your employees can’t work if something breaks or doesn’t run properly.

A company isn’t interested in making things work under Linux, they are interesting running the programs with a proper support on the maintained OS. Our program does work on Linux, but only to some degree. There are enough interfaces, that simply won’t run without Windows.

I get that people running Linux are used trying to get anything to work and are happy if it does, but the way of getting there is simply wasted time for any company out there. I wish we all could just use Linux without any hassle, but that sadly is so incredibly far from the truth, that Linux is simply worse than Windows because of that in many areas.

I really haven’t spent enough time with it to judge.

I expect more people to switch to Linux, if they don’t, they either don’t understand or care what windows is, or they are thicker than a whale omelette.

For people that don’t get it, there is a reason its called windows like there is a reason mac is called BigSur (big-surveillance)

penny dropped yet…

2 Likes

You should give them their fair due, though. Either Mac or Windows can sit around and display your gorgeous wallpapers just fine…

not sure they can handle a slideshow though!

I expect less than 0.5% of Windows users to switch to Linux. Linux users (that is, enthusiasts, not the 90% of Linux users that use Linux as a work tool and nothing else) always overestimate things like this.

Remember:
48% of Linux users use Ubuntu (of some variation)
25-ish use Debian.
Around 10% use Red Hat (or Fedora)
“Other”, containing ALL Arch variants as well as Slack, Void, Suse, etc is about 2.5% of Linux users.

That’s what I always try to explain: The very very big majority of Linux users do NOT post on forums. They do NOT write Youtube comments suggesting Librewolf as the only browser to be used in random Linux channels. They do NOT care about FOSS. They use Linux for work or school and that’s it.

(Edit: Ubuntu holds 48, not 38% of desktops)

1 Like

Windows 11 will be just more …invasion of privacy, tracking, ads, another ui to get used to with everything changed…again! There will be what there’s always been for 30 years. Generic error messages that are meaningless and Microsoft’s fixes never work properly. Same old …Nothing new just stuff changed around to look different.

2 Likes

To break!

I expect that it will be installed on every computer you buy at a store locally, unless that computer has a rotting fruit on it’s lid. Money talks, bs walks.