What do you expect from Windows 11?

I remember that there was a time when you could opt out of the windows license when you bought a new computer (you also paid less cuz of that). Does it still work in this way?

You should be able to opt out of Windows and take the discount of the retail cost of the OS!

1 Like

Do you know how much is the discount? Just wondering

Not here in NZ. And as I have access to OEM pricing, I can supply you with those:
Win 10 Home OEM DVD = NZD $172. (about $122USD)
Win 10 Pro OEM DVD = NZD $222. (about $157USD)

God bless the grey market :rofl:

2 Likes

The OEM version of Windows Home is $144.99 Cdn currently on sale for Windows 10 Home and Pro is $179.99 Cdn unless you get the USB boxed version at $254.99 Cdn.

Couldnā€™t agree anymore, plus, Windows user will be prompted to install the new stuff (itā€™s hand forcing!!!), and sure telemetry and bad stuff will be more present.
You know some countryā€™s ISP get Go limits (depending on subscription), and eg in windows 10 remote telemetry without user action is huge, so you spend your bandwith without user intervention and paid for that.
Hope you understand me, my english is not native :roll_eyes:

badplugin

1 Like

Double, double toil and trouble is my general expectation :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Many of those who use Windows do not switch to Linux or macOS just because of a habit.

And how many people use Linux and Windows in parallel, or even macOS?

Are these majority of Linux users just waiting, for example, to fix any kernels or package bugs?

Microsoft should make Windows free like MacOS.

Their operating systems would be more secure. i.e. less piracy and less dodgey ISOs floating on torrent/usenet with baked in malware.

Honesty donā€™t care for their physical TPM/CPU requirement. As long as VM works and passthrough devices like printers then all good.

Not many, since Linux on the desktop har about a 2% market share total.

Funnily enough while the total of Linux desktops is about 2%, 20% of all web developers work on Linux meaning a heck of a lot of those 2% are web devs :wink:

But for the sake of fairness, letā€™s not forget the server market, where Linux has a high share. Unix was created for multithreading at the time, and this has the advantage over servers the most.

I might get my wifeā€™s laptop onto linux in 2025 when Windows 10 support ends, which will probably be my sonā€™s machine by then and I may persuade a few others.

The state of Wine should be pretty impressive by then.

I donā€™t expect the masses to switch but those who have more experienced linux using friends who can get stuff like wine running well may be able to switch.

The thread is about Windows 11, which is not a server OS. Do at least stay a little on topic by not comparing apples and orangesā€¦

Iā€™m sorry, what? :crazy_face:

You donā€™t know many regular users then, do you? The average person is not going to switch. No matter how different Windows n+1 may look from Windows n, this ā€œLinux thingā€ is still more different and for most, too different.

And yes. Roughly 90% of the global population IS thicker than a whale omelette. Most people are too fuckin stupid to be allowed anywhere near a computer, but thatā€™s exactly what makes certain companies a shitload of money, so donā€™t expect to see any effort in trying to change that.

Sounds like you havenā€™t had much luck in your social encounters :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, same with my TomTom. Needs Windows to update. It works swell in a VM thoughā€¦

Iā€™ve worked in forwarding, Iā€™ve worked in fire & safety, and now I work in IT. So, no, indeed, no luck in any sort of encounter. Most people really are fuckin stupid. Or willfully ignorant, but to me thatā€™s just one of the worst forms of stupidā€¦

1 Like