We need your help bringing Endeavour to the next stage

they are forks of gedit offcourse, like xreader is a fork of evince…

i stil like to use xed , reason the thick border :slight_smile:

xed is not thick gedit does …

1 Like

I have, and I like both of them, recently xed as “reserve” :wink:

1 Like

I recently read an interview with Richard Stallman. I searched my browser’s history but could not find it.

In the interview RMS was asked what computer he used. He said a refubished, Lenovo T4XX with Libreboot. He said they were built for corporate use, so they are built like a tank, a ton of them around being refurbished, still works great for non-gaming everyday use. And very compatible with most Linux distros.

So, with a recommendation like that, I ordered this.
Why not? Less than $300 and I already have a SSD to replace the HHD.
Product works and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.

So it is on the way. My first laptop, so be expecting some questions from me in the very near future.

Pudge

5 Likes

:slight_smile: Use it as a base :smiley: You’re own colours, maybe a few tweaks to the binds. Go for it man.

1 Like

Yes they are, unfortunately my wife snaffled my one.

1 Like

I gave archlabs openbox an hour. That’s 60 minutes I’ll never get back!

1 Like

Here is one idea of what openbox could look like without too much effort.

There is only one AUR package their, ob-generator which automates the process of managing the openbox menu.

I opened some random apps including a qt app and a gtk app so it was clear that all the theming was matched. The theme is materia which was pulled from the repos. I know the EOS the environments are usually unthemed but with an unconfigured openbox that would mean a cursor and a gray screen and nothing else.

Let me know how I can help you further. I can do whatever you want from here. I could go all the way and build it out from a clean CLI system/identify all the needed packages/make a settings PKGBUILD, I could stop here or do something in between.

I would also be willing to build out others if that would be helpful.

I just like helping where I can and don’t want to be one of those people who makes suggestions without actually offering to contribute. :smile:

13 Likes

Good move! You will not regret it. Business class laptops are way better than consumer ones. Not eye candy, but with a robust construction & a rather conservative selection of hardware components, so that they ensure compatibility in most cases. I still use my 10-year-old Dell Latitude 6500 as my main machine. :+1:

3 Likes

Now that you mention it, Antergos OB was a good one. As far as Karasu had said, they had followed Archbang`s configuration.

So it wasn’t success then?

You listed a lot of window managers. But how many of them are still actively developed.

Even if I like Openbox, it seems to be sleepin for a long time. Last activity on its github was made back in september of 2015.

Besides this, why not. But too many options will make Calamares net-installer meta package selection unreadable for many people.

2 Likes

Why fix something if it’s not broken? Openbox is simple and works. Hell, LXDE is basically openbox with a start menu.

Ah, good old nonsense “fix if it is not broken”… There are 22 pull requests waiting to evaluated. 22!

Not broken, really?

Just look at the more recent pull request: https://github.com/danakj/openbox/pull/35

“Make openbox-xdg-autostart Python 3 compatible”

Well, this software component is not broken, but it will be soon when python2 will be removed from every single linux distribution.

This is an example. Openbox is getting older and older and its components will be harder to maintain with newer technology, like python3 instead of python2.

It is true Python3 is really young… It was born in december 2008 : https://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

Python 2.x end of life: first set for 2014, pushed to 2020. And Openbox developers doesn’t move to this python version for their tool.

So, is OpenBox still actively developed? I don’t think so. Will it break sooner or later? Sadly yes.

This will be my last answer on this thread. I don’t want to read such “If it ain’t break don’t fix it” nonsense in computing related to fastly moving technologies.

To everybody on this thread: sorry for my answer, I won’t do it again.

3 Likes

Dictatorship of choice and more…

While I understand your point, Openbox isn’t likely to die anytime soon. Both lxde and lxqt depend on it and it is still quite popular standalone.

The distro maintainers will apply the patches to keep it working. I don’t think there is much chance of it disappearing along with Python2.

As for everything else on the list, they are all still getting active commits.

lxqt is not depended on openbox , you can use xfwm4 kwin, and they do work on wayland to but its in bits and pieces, lxqt-panel and some other pieces does not like wayland currently…

its interesting how waybox wil do : https://github.com/wizbright/waybox

lxqt is basicly not openbox depended, packagers package with offcourse… thats another story

2 Likes

I mean, technically speaking, lots of DEs can switch out the WM.

Maybe I should have said that openbox is the default WM for lxde and lxqt.

its default in the groups , there its difference of lxde and lxqt, wm choices… developers itself does use xfwm4 or kwin or compiz

Lxde is a zombie project. Lxqt site is down for some days.

It is not packager’s job to patch software. It is developer’s one. And as said by @ringo, you can use another windows manager to make it run even if OpenBox is the main one.

OpenBox code is sleeping for nearly 5 years, with more than 20 pull requests ignored. Not a good sign at all.

1 Like

I think whose responsibility it is to patch is a bit more gray than that and it depends on the nature of the patch in question. However, I would argue, that in practice, maintainers often do patch software if they feel it is important enough, even when they might not want to. :wink:

I agree with you that it is long dormant, but, to be fair, those 20 pull requests are on a mirror of the repo so even if it was being actively developed, they would probably still be ignored.

Either way, I am not really all that passionate about this issue. I just think that implying that openbox is going to disappear from Linux because of xdg-autostart-openbox leveraging python2 is an overstatement.

1 Like