Wallpapers by flyingcakes

So, during the exam week, I do everything else apart from actually studying :man_facepalming:

Tried doing a wallpaper today. Here’s a 1080p export

endeavouros-rocket-1-1080

SVG is available at this link :point_down: Those wanting higher resolution can export the SVG

19 Likes

Such a classics! :rofl:

Cool wallpaper :+1:

2 Likes

As long as sleep makes the list of things you actually do - you’ll probably do fine :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s how I learnt to play several instruments and how to read Egyptian hieroglyphs while studying physics.

Nice wallpaper! Could use a bit more green, but otherwise great. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

@freebird54 yes you will find me sleeping for around 40% of the day :zzz:

I learnt (very) basic music theory, electronic sound design on VSTs, some movie direction and editing, GIMP.
Right now doing Inkscape and two languages - Japanese and French :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

During my first job interview after leaving school the Personnel Manager told me that they did not care, or place any importance on exam results. They were only interested in my application letter and how I came across in the interview. Guess what? I got the job!

School only teaches you how to learn. What you learn is unimportant at that stage. Any employer who places importance on exam results is not worth working for. You have to start somewhere but experience is pretty much everything. Without experience then confidence, an agile mind and a good grasp of vocabulary count for a lot. Languages? I wish I had that opportunity when I was younger.

1 Like

Nice work with the wall paper. What did you use to create that gimp or something else?

1 Like

I used Inkscape

ah … ok thank you.

1 Like

I’m not planning for a job in IT/tech industry, so I’m chilled out with my grades (but i swear I ensure they don’t fall)

That’s a pretty good scenario.

Here, if you apply via college placements, your grades are the first criteria used to eliminate you (irrespective of other achievements or skills). Next is a test of DSA application - which many say is too competitive in nature and not representative of what you actually do at work. Finally, after you clear these two stages, your skills, language proficiency, achievements etc are considered.

For off campus placements, situation is said to be much better, although I’m yet to personally meet someone who skipped campus placement and went for off campus. (Many choose colleges based on the college’s past placement statistics)

(this was for IT/tech related universities)

So may I ask what is your target job or carrier path?

Yeah, I get that. I went from school straight into an apprenticeship/job. If you’re looking at College/Uni then that is different. I don’t agree with their narrow-minded approach to candidates but the system is what it is. Ultimately you will find your own path, believe in yourself, not what “they” want you to become!

1 Like

I’m more inclined towards administrative career. Civils are good, but very tough to get into.

Or, I might be a diplomat? That would also suit me.

I’m into tech only because the primary school I attended had computer classes right from age 5. So all students at my high school were tech literate. Those who had even the slightest interest in tech had a good chance to develop. Back then, only the computer labs had air conditioning, so I went towards that :man_facepalming:

By the time I had to enter university, tech was the only thing I could bear for 4 years. Solely out of interest and possibility of contributing to the FOSS I use. No real plans to work at a tech giant or something. (But I’ll probably need to intern at one as a part of the compulsory industrial training at university)

Sh**! When I was at school we didn’t even have computers. Not even one in Admin for the staff. Everything I know is self taught. Internet? That happened last week. Social Media, was that yesterday? :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, I was born right in the current century and had the privilege of attending a good school, so…

But hey, I don’t want to boast. The computers back at my school ran Windows :grin:

1 Like

And here we are, using Linux. I wonder why? The answer: UNIX makes sense, Windows does not. K.I.S.S. :grin:

1 Like

I’m kind of confused. So you’re learning IT because it’s interesting you and due to A/C :smiley:. But you want to work on a totally different carrier path.

Don’t you have to relearn those things you want to do or having a Bsc kind of unlocks a lot in your country?

Indeed! I will have to cover most of Humanities subjects taught at high school and bachelor’s level (History, Geography, Polity etc along with stuff like Public Administration, Ethics and other stuff you naturally need for administrative/diplomatic posts)
(Last time I studied these was 3 years back)

Having a bachelors degree is compulsory for any job that pays enough to survive. But having just a bachelor’s won’t ensure you get a job :wink: Jobs are less, people more.

I’m in a B.Tech course (not B.Sc). Virtually everyone who can afford will get a bachelors degree here. So we don’t think of going without a degree.

This part I’ve heard. Lots of competition over there.

Here it’s kind of different everyone wants to be a government employee. Everyone who has capital B or an M at the end of their name want to be in some kind of government institution. There are plenty of private-sector jobs but they chose to be jobless until gov. gives them one.

And the other thing private sector really doesn’t care much for the degrees earned through our own unis :smiley:. And they prefer people coming through private unis. or people with experience. Our degree holders’ majority of them riot asking for gov. jobs when there are many private-sector jobs.

Anyway, I’m gonna stop going way off topic now :smiley:

1 Like

Hard disagree. Any employer who places importance on exam results cares about you showing your academic ability, work ethic and basic ability to comprehend language & your grasp of mathematical & scientific skills as a baseline, and from a young age too.

80-90%, or more, of jobs require some display of Academic ability WRT successful exam results, either as an under or post-graduate. Saying that 80-90% of employers are “not worth working for” is a bit… short-sighted?