Very strange Openbox behavior

Hi! I’m using the EOS Openbox Community Edition and I’m loving it so far. Though it’s my first time with Openbox so I’m still trying to figure out some things.
I’m on a laptop with an NVidia GPU and dual monitor setup and I had some issues with arandr so I switched to LTS kernel which for me is a little better on this.
I still have a problem though (not sure if it’s monitor related)…every time I login I have two EOS’ Welcome screens, two Firewalld applet and two Volume Control applets (I mean Tint2’s systray applets) instead of one of them…weird thing is that every other element is single, like it should be.
So I thought that it should be somewhere a way to choose what to put in the Tint2 tray and what to not…but searching I found nothing, so…
Can you help me to figure out how to remove/add items to the tray?
But most importantly, can you help me to discover why these three elements are doubled at login?
My autostart is the default one, except for the screenlayout script.
Thanks

Welcome to the puple side of linux :enos: :enos_flag:

There should be a tint2 configuration gui tool. You can try to configure it that way.
I use openbox but not on multiple monitors so I can’t check or reproduce your issue.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @loyak :enos: :enos_flag: :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

Thank you, but in the Tint2 configurations I can just choose whether I want the systray or not, and other graphical settings, but I can’t choose what to put in the systray…which is very confusing to me because it looks like there’s no way to add/remove elements, but it has to be somewhere :thinking:

I don’t think that is possible with the GUI but there’s a section in the wiki (https://gitlab.com/o9000/tint2/-/wikis/home) that say’s this…

### System Tray

* `systray_padding = horizontal_padding vertical_padding spacing`
* `systray_background_id = integer` : Which background to use.
* `systray_sort = ascending/descending/left2right/right2left` : Specifies the sorting order for the icons in the systray: in ascending/descending alphabetical order of the icon title, or always add icons to the right/left (note that with `left2right` or `right2left` the order can be different on panel restart).
* `systray_icon_size = max_icon_size` : Set the maximum system tray icon size to `number`. Set to `0` for automatic icon sizing.
* `systray_icon_asb = alpha (0 to 100) saturation (-100 to 100) brightness (-100 to 100)` : Adjust the systray icons color and transparency.
* `systray_monitor = integer (1, 2, ...) or primary` : On which monitor to draw the systray. The first monitor is `1`. *(since 0.12)*
* `systray_name_filter = string` : Regular expression to identify icon names to be hidden. For example, `^audacious$` will hide icons with the exact name `audacious`, while `aud` will hide any icons having `aud` in the name. *(since 0.13.1)*

Perhaps the last bit…

systray_name_filter = ^volumecontro$l or ^firewallad% etc;

Into ~/.config/openbox/tint2/tint2rc

I not using tint2 right now so I am not sure but perhaps try out different things. ^volume$ maybe?
Although that doesn’t solve the doubling issue. I’m not sure about that. I can’t see in anything in the EOS config that would cause that.

Also welcome to EndeavourOS!

i no use tint2 … my guess you need 2 panel ( 1 for each display) sound like you just mirror your display

" every time I login I have two EOS’ Welcome screens, two Firewalld applet and two Volume Control applets "

I prob wrong , i sure openbox usrs will answer soon … BTW welcome to Endeavouros forum
:pray: i no use openbox ( it no float my boat )

Multiple panels
Multiple tint2 panels can be simultaneously running by executing tint2 with different configuration files:

tint2 -c <path_to_first_config_file>
tint2 -c <path_to_second_config_file>
2 Likes

Thank you all very much for your help and warm welcome. EndeavourOS community is one of the most beautiful things :blush:
Anyway, I decided to give up and go back to plasma, on which everything works smoothly. Maybe it’s me being noob, but Openbox on this computer for me was just a constant troubleshooting.

On my secondary computer, which is much smaller and less powerful, I use BunsenLabs (hence Openbox) without any problem and I would love to be able to do something similar here as well, but I guess simply for a more powerful and complex setup you need a more powerful and complex operating system/de, although I am sorry, but using the computer for work as well I need a relatively painless experience!

2 Likes

I agree with this. I first started using Openbox on my Pi because it was lightweight. I really like the keybindings and the workflow. But there were papercuts regarding USB drive mounting etc…
I switched to MATE which is not as lightweight but still runs well on my Pi. It has everything for the normal operation of a desktop but for Openbox it is not complete and there are small things missing.

1 Like

Wm 's no for everyone . Use what fit your needs :+1: Remember " Your system your rules "

main thing is you enjoy what you use . :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better myself :wink: :blush:

1 Like

You should have this in your bio :sunglasses:

1 Like

I go even further and say that it should be adopted as EnOS’ official moto.

1 Like

Use what fit your needs :+1: Remember " Your system your rules "

thank you, I agree 100% :smile:
however, I would also like to know your opinion: my feeling is that using things like debian+openbox in setups like mine, while technically possible, is actually just a constant pain in practice.
i would like to understand if it is simply related to my being a noob and therefore solvable simply with a little effort or if it actually is almost unusable fluidly.

main thing is you enjoy what you use . :vulcan_salute:

this is exatcly the “problem” and the reason why i’m writing this :sweat_smile:
don’t get me wrong, i love plasma and it’s not a real problem for me to stick with it. it’s just that an openbox installation that simply works feels more natural for me…i really don’t know how to explain it rationally, it is just like it :laughing: does it make any sense to you?

Try LXQt, it uses openbox as WM by default.
Read this post for more info (shameless plug :sunglasses: )

2 Likes

Thank you, this is very interesting! :face_with_monocle:
I will try it, but first…here comes the dumb question! :face_with_peeking_eye:

What’s the difference between using LXQT with Openbox, using Openbox alone or using it alongside another DE (say plasma)?
I guess that I’ll have the default DE’s packages by default…but what else?

I can explain, but probably the best way to find out is to try it out yourself.
The easiest way to do that is to fire up a VM and try out the various editions.
I reason I try all of the editions we offer is I do test installs to make sure everything is working fine on the ARM editions. Explored several DEs/WMs and got some stats too :sunglasses:.

Again everyone’s experiences and preferences are different, so go experience it for yourself.

1 Like

Okay thank you, I definitely will try it then!

Just one last (totally OT at this point) question: if I decide to change I might want to do a fresh install, because changing DE has always been a bit of a mess in my experience.
If I do so then I obviously can’t restore a TimeShift backup, but is there a way to somehow automize the process of reinstalling the same packages or I’ll have to do all manually?

I have never totally understand it and every time I can’t automatically restore a backup I do everything manually and it’s a bit of pain :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Please have a look at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#List_of_installed_packages

3 Likes

This is perfect. Thank you so much!

1 Like

I was looking for the differences between LXDE and LXQT, I suppose you mentioned only QT because DE is eventually going to die at some point?
There are other reasons to prefer QT?