šŸ“£ Vanilla OS First Stable Release

What is the kernel on VanillaOS? Isnā€™t it more updated also? Not lts?

I guess it was 5.19. I have to double-check later when I boot it up again :blush:

Well that would be an lts kernel then?

Isnā€™t 5.15 the latest in LTS series?

I guess you are right. Itā€™s odd they use 5.19. :thinking:

Perhaps because at the time of Ubuntu 22.10ā€™s release that was the latest main?
So 23.04 will most probably see 6.x.

1 Like

The Vanilla devs said there was one of two blockers/bugs in the 6.0 kernel that prevented them from shipping it initially. But one they start doing their own signing theyā€™ll update to the latest kernels, similar to how PopOS always updates their kernels. If you want extra help/knowledge, their Discord is the place to go, itā€™s where the devs are as well, been following it along the last 2-3 months or so.

1 Like

So thatā€™s where youā€™ve been? Gnoming around! :laughing:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for posting and sharing the info!
Good to see you back here again @Scotty_Trees!

1 Like

Where have you been @Scotty_Trees Iā€™ve been missing the :broccoli:

Edit: Hope you had a good Christmas. :christmas_tree:

1 Like

@ricklinux Iā€™ve been Gnoming up and down ever since 43 was released :crazy_face: :broccoli:
I just donā€™t currently daily drive EndeavourOS (typing this from Fedora 37), so I donā€™t have any issues/bugs/news/or curiosities to report these days. Happy xmas/holidays/new years/maple moose to you too! :sweat_smile:

@pebcak Technically I never left, Iā€™m still using Linux after all, I just donā€™t have a lot to add here when Iā€™m not running EndeavourOS :wink: and pretty courageous of you to post about a Ubuntu distro on an Arch forum! I donā€™t mind at all since linux is linux after all, heck I was even using Ubuntu 22.04 last month myself. But as for Vanilla OS, they are off to a good start and will tweak and refine it over the coming weeks. I know the ABRoot setup requires something like 50GB of space, and theyā€™re going to improve the optimization to knock that down to 10-20GB I think, but that will take some time. I donā€™t need an immutable type setup myself, but still I like the work they are doing and their concept of vanilla Gnome and the devs are very friendly too.

1 Like

Many times I get the feeling that Ubuntu stirs up a lot of feelings like Windows does among some Linux users. I am not chauvinistic about one or other distro. Also, if there is Other distro news then I guess you could post news about any distro, discuss and exchange ideas about it to further the knowledge about the Linux world in general.

When it comes to Vanilla OS, I was just curios about their immutable system, how it is implemented and how the package and system management works. Perhaps I will join their Discord later on to learn more about the system.

Having said that, it is not something that I would use on a daily basis as I am quite happy with my Arch systems but who knows, maybe in the future I would find a use case for an immutable system.

Thanks for posting and sharing info on Vanilla OS! Hopefully, if some other users on this forum try it out, they would share their findings here. I would certainly appreciate it.

1 Like

Fedora 37? Isnā€™t that Gnome anyway? Why?

Iā€™ve posted about Ubuntu on here before in the past and for the most part users donā€™t seem to mind or donā€™t really care much. But thereā€™s always at least one user that just froth at the mouth and canā€™t stop themselves from sharing their highly intellectual takedown of said distro. But people like that arenā€™t worth paying any attention to anyways!

If you want to learn all about it, thatā€™s literally the best way, a lot has been said and discussed there, youā€™d find the answer to practically any question you might have, and chances are itā€™s been asked already.

Vanilla OS doesnā€™t run or work in a VM all that great FYI. Itā€™s basically just plain Gnome, and instead of apt to install things, you use apx to install things, which install things in containers. Other than that, itā€™ll feel like any other Gnome setup essentially. But with the added benefit of you canā€™t bork your system [easily]. But if you run Arch, you know how to fix your system anyways, so to bork or not bork shouldā€™ve be a big deal :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Did you read the review of Vanilla OS by linuxiac?

Just had a look :wink:

I would recommend the author to RTM:

man abroot
man apx

:wink:

Had he done so, he would know that for running a program X installed with apx, you would use:

apx run X

and not only:

X

Also, he seems to get the syntax wrong again:

sudo abroot get

The right command would be:

sudo abroot get present

or

sudo abroot get future

He seems to have got wrong the two fundamental command line tools that make Vanilla OS tick :wink:

5 Likes

I donā€™t know? This guyā€™s no dummy. :thinking:

I do! :rofl:

Having read this review, I suspend my judgement!

Would you have said the same if it was based on KDE? I doubt it! :rofl:

This is not about desktop environments.

He has got a wrong idea about two tools which are at the heart of the system. Fundamental for its running. He doesnā€™t know how to install apps and how to run them :wink:

What has DE anything to do with it?

3 Likes