📣 Vanilla OS First Stable Release

I just thought maybe you have a biased view since it’s Gnome here.

I gave in my post two examples of the things he had got wrong. And the correct way of doing it.
Regardless DE.

1 Like

I know I tried it and I don’t understand exactly how it works. I do know how to use apt and i did try some stuff on it. I don’t think it’s something I’m interested in even if it was based on KDE Plasma.

Edit: I’m not that big on containers or docker or even vm for my desktop. I like bare metal fully installed running on hardware not software.

Edit2: I mean everything runs on software but you get my drift.

Yeah. But we were discussing the accuracy of that review.

You might expect some more “professionalism” from an author with 20 years of Linux experience to get to know the system he is reviewing and use correctly the tools provided.
At the least he could have contacted the developers to get things right before axing the system mostly because of his ignorance.

3 Likes

I don’t think it was that bad? It’s just his opinion.

How could you call it opinion?

He gives concrete examples of things which don’t function with command lines and pictures.
And it all is because he has got them wrong.

That is among the most non-sensical reviews I have ever read.

2 Likes

I think you’re reading too much into it. I always take everything i read with a grain of salt. Reading that is not going to influence me either way. It’s just gives me pause for thought.

Okay maybe he’s wrong. I don’t know that for sure.

Not at all!

I’ve already pointed at two fundamental things that he has gotten wrong about the system he is reviewing and based on this erroneous understanding, concludes that things are not functioning as expected.

I am sorry but he is wrong. Period.

I have nothing further to add.

2 Likes

I can install and run it from vm and it’s easy to install from the software center using flathub but I’m not getting how the package manager works. I just get errors and problems with trying to run commands. I don’t understand it well enough how it works.

My goodness that review was a tough read… That review was anything, but professional and objective and bordered more than once on being condescending to both the reader and the distro. Not sure why anyone would hold their “professional opinion” in high regard, I’d completely ignore this person. The conclusion of the “review” (f you can even call it that), offers no constructive criticisms whatsoever other than “Vanilla OS is weak” which is an argument only a child would make…

Professionally, though, Vanilla OS is more of a proof-of-concept or homebrew for leisure time enjoyment than a real-world usable operating system.

Also, they try to say this as a negative about Vanilla OS, but that applies to literally EVERY SINGLE other Linux distro that isn’t Ubuntu/Red Hat/openSUSE. They also keep referring to Vanilla OS as “stable” in quotes. This not only undercuts the devs hard work, but also completely ignores that the devs have deemed it as a stable release. Imagine someone calling EndeavourOS “stable” after spending weeks/months developing it only to have someone use it for 10 minutes and say it’s not stable. This “reviewer” is about as credible as that one Linux youtuber that loves guns and keeps saying yay is dead or whatever. Man now I need a drink :rofl:

4 Likes

Cheers!

I took it out on doing the dishes! Something good came out of reading that piece of “review”. :sweat_smile:

we, as authors, need to give readers a trustworthy and expert evaluation of what we write about

Right! :rofl:

1 Like

He has his opinion … you have yours…i have mine everyone else has theirs. Doesn’t matter really. Like i said i take it all with a grain of salt. Pause for thought. :innocent:

Edit: As you say it’s not really about the desktop. It’s about the package manager and the setup.

1 Like

I really don’t know why you are doubling down and trying to defend the reviewer, their review is objectively unreliable and at worst deceptive. Also, why would you trust any review from someone that hasn’t even managed to use the distro for more than one day? You already have two people here trying to show you the inaccuracies with the review. Just because we are critiquing your favorite reviewer does not mean we are also contentious towards you as well, don’t take this personally. Have a shot of maple syrup on me.

@pebcak a “trustworthy and expert evaluation” would require using the distro for longer than they testd. Ideally a week, if not 30 days to truly call something an expert evaluation. Everything else is just clickbait nonsense. Good job on the dishes btw!

2 Likes

A very uninformed one for coming from a 20-years Linux professional.

And it’s not just opinion. The guy has it wrong!

And this is not my opinion. In fact it is not about opinion at all. I have shown above that he is fundamentally wrong about fundamental things in Vanilla OS!

:rofl: :fist:t5:

1 Like

@Scotty_Trees @pebcak
I wouldn’t let it ruin your day. It’s just an opinion. Right or wrong it doesn’t bother me much. For the most part I like reading his articles. :man_shrugging:

Anyways…

Vanilla OS is something I’ll keep an eye on as it’s an interesting subject, but since it’s not really my type of workflow I’ll probably not daily drive it other than occasionally test out it’s progress and updates and see how things are coming along. Never know what the future holds.

@pebcak let it go bro, just let it go! :rofl:

2 Likes

:rowing_man:t5: :arrow_right: :desert_island:

1 Like

6c5150061eba75b516e21b0358a949d5

Ah, that’s who it is? The author of the article. :rofl:

1 Like