Translators wanted

Thanks, your help is very much appreciated! :+1:

Updated the PR now

1 Like

Thanks! :+1:
Package eos-translations 1.1.48-1 will be on mirrors soon.

1 Like

Is still help wanted for german translation any kind?

I’ll look into updating Serbian and Croatian as I have not updated those translations since initially submitting them.
Running eos welcome app with rs and hr parameters produces quite a few “missing translation” errors in the log.

Some of the phrases, however, will be left in English due to them losing their original meaning when translated (or requiring a paragraph to be accurately translated).

EDIT:

Done, PR sent.

1 Like

I reworked and submitted German translations two days ago. While I think it’s pretty okay now it surely wouldn’t do harm if you read over them:

Can you give an example? Perhaps we can figure out a way to briefly rephrase them in Croatian/Serbian.

2 Likes

“Community edition” for instance. Sounds very weird if translated.

You can check out the current / latest translation here :

If a phrase does sound weird, just use the English one. Most of the time those phrases are derived from English in the tech world.

That’s something common in most if not all languages, I guess. E.g. “Installer” was translated to German as “Installateur”, which means “plumber”. :slight_smile:
I tend to use the English original, if it’s an established term. (“installer”, “mirror server”…)

1 Like

@Bryanpwo @vinzv

Exactly why I left some smaller pieces of the translation in English.
Languages have had a pretty hard time keeping up with new tech terms (excluding English ofc).

1 Like

Nah, but not the elegant Solution.

_tr_add2 after_install_nvtip “Wie funktioniert der Nvidia-Installer”

Better would be:

“Wie funktioniert die Nvidia Installation”

I chek today what i can improve.

But it would be much better, if in the languages files would exist comments with the original text…

For example:

#_tr_add2 after_install_nv “NVIDIA users$_exclamation”
_tr_add2 after_install_nv “NVIDIA-Nutzer$_exclamation”
#_tr_add2 after_install_nvtip “Use NVIDIA installer”
_tr_add2 after_install_nvtip “Wie funktioniert der Nvidia-Installer”

So a translator can work directly in that Window. Now i need three.

Even better would be:

_tr_add2 after_install_nv “NVIDIA users$_exclamation” “NVIDIA-Nutzer$_exclamation”

1 Like

Nice idea, I also was thinking that initially.

But if the English sentences would need changes, then all translators would need to change the English sentences on their translation file as well, which is quite prone to errors, and eventually might be more confusing than helpful.

That could be solved via Transifex or any other web-based translation service maybe. TX sends our emails for changed source strings to all translators.

1 Like

Yes and no. It depends how somebody work. If i want to edit the Translation, i would pull first the newest german file for example. And to update all english sentences in all language files, it is a easy one liner job for bash. simply look for the first " " and replace it with the strings from english language file. (this how i would do it).

In this way, all language files would be everytime up to date with the english file.

1 Like

Thanks for interesting ideas! :+1:

I have tried to keep the work amount small for all of us.
That’s why I also have said that it is a good idea to keep the line numbering the same in all translation files, which helps finding e.g. missing lines in a translation.

But of course we all have our ways and preferences of doing things, and that’s of course OK.

So, if anyone feels interested, I’m not against if she/he implements a translation method that is OK for all people involved. :sweat_smile:

But wouldnt need it further customization? For example how the Apps from EndeavourOS reads the strings? I give it a look how we could it make so easy as possible.

1 Like

EOS apps like

• welcome (this one is more versatile usage)
  • UpdateInTerminal (this is simple)

use this translation system. They need mostly two functions:

• ltr
  • _init_translations

The translation system is implemented in the eos-translations package.

If you come up with a new implementation,

• try to use the current simple “API” if possible
  • let’s create a new package for it, then we can (temporarily) use them interchangeably

Hello everyone, The pt-BR bash translation hasn’t seen an update in 8 months, is it okay to make it up to date on my own or should I talk to someone first?

Thanks! :+1:
I think it is OK to update it now.