Top Twenty!

2 Likes

But so what click on Fan boy click on… :rofl: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Looks like I’m making Endeavour DistroWatch page my homepage on all devices. :rofl:

2 Likes

Facepalm all you want @Kresimir, maybe you shouldn’t have posted that :rofl:

1 Like

Nor do I know of a method that can accurately measure the number of users of each operating system. Under the law of large numbers, the better the EOS is placed on the list, the more likely it is to be used by more people.

1 Like

Argggh! That other forum was pretty fun until after they hit number 1. This wave of refugees will be nothing compared to what happens with a number one [click] ranking.

4 Likes

You are absolutely right. I hope that EndeavourOS never reaches No. 1 in the DistroWatch rankings. Anywhere else in the Top Ten would be nice but, if it were to reach Number 1, well, the only place to go thereafter is down.

I think that It should be made very clearly within the DistroWatch description of EOS that the system is not for inexperienced GNU/Linux users; it should say that one needs at least some previous experience with Linux before attempting to use it.

Inexperienced users (or those unwilling to learn) will eventually run into some problem(s) which will cause aggravation and frustration. Those people would then “blame” EndeavourOS.

I have seen a couple of DistroWatch reviews claiming that the writer does not like EOS because it does not come with a graphical interface for updating. (I myself asked, in this forum, that one be included as standard and the replies to my suggestion showed the lack of knowledge that I had at that time [not that I’m so knowledgeable now!].)

So I think that my hope that such a disclaimer be incorporated into the DistroWatch description will accomplish two things: (1) it will at least warn inexperienced uses that they should not try it until they get more experienced and (2) it will prevent EndeavourOS reaching Number 1 in the rankings.

The above is just my opinion (only) and I thank everyone who reads this.

Lawrence

5 Likes

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=clear-linux-2020h1&num=11 I can’t say if this is of significant information but I go to Phoronix.com occasionally to see what is trending there. It’s interesting to see Endeavor made it into the distro’s that was tested. I ran Clear Linux OS just to see what was going on with it and it was interesting but not worth much else as I’m not a developer. I can say the Endeavor does give you a lot more versatility with what is available but as far as unifying software maybe thats the crucks of the matter. I was a Manjaro fan for a few years but find Endeavor soots me much better.

Rich :slight_smile:

Obviously, it’s much easier if one has previous experience with Linux, but even a complete newbie can get straight into Arch, if they have the right mindset: one that is not afraid to tinker with the system, learn how it works, break it and repair it, and (even though we don’t like that expression here) be willing to RTFM a lot (and especially the Arch wiki)!

When it comes to starting with an Arch-based distro, the obvious choice for a complete newbie is Manjaro (even though, compared to something like Linux Mint, Manjaro also takes quite a bit of maintenance and learning). However, Manjaro is somewhat distanced from vanilla Arch and may get a curious newbie stuck in a comfort zone.

For a pretty much vanilla Arch experience, EndeavourOS is great for newbies, simply because of this forum here and the fact it is very easy to get help when stuck. On the Arch forum, you have to walk on eggshells and not ask any stupid questions (which is difficult when you’re a newbie). Here, if you ask even a stupid question (as long as you do it in good faith), nobody is going to ridicule you, and everyone will try to help you, just as well.

7 Likes

I think I’ve never felt uncomfortable in this forum when I asked questions to the community. I don’t know what you think about this.

To this I can say that it is always harder to achieve something than to keep it. I agree that it should be emphasized that the EOS is for more experienced users. Of course, beginners cannot be excluded either.

1 Like

When this project started i said i would like to see it in the top twenty by 2020. We have surpassed that and i do feel we should be in the top 10 or better in in 2021. I think it will get there if the project stays the course and keeps it’s original goals. Although Distrowatch may not be a ranking that is accurate i do feel it shows interest and direction. The Distrowatch list is handy for a lot of people that may be new to Linux or have ever only used one distribution or so.

As far as inexperienced users are concerned everyone has to start somewhere and i think it depends on the person. Some will find it easier than others. It depends on how involved they want to be with it. Some people will be just overwhelmed with the amount of updating. Some won’t have the ability or technical savvy and aren’t just interested in that.

Some people just want the install to go problem free and after that they just want to use the computer without any problems. So in that case they may be better off with Mint or Manjaro or Ubuntu to name a few.

I will always try to encourage a new user to not give up and just work through things one at a time, logically and slowly and they will learn something. The thing is some will leave but it is better that they do that on their own because eventually they will return. When they leave the first thing they will miss is this forum. Then they will miss EndeavourOS. :rocket:

4 Likes

Now, after a little over a year of active use, I can say that the EOS is something that “just works”. However, I also like to deal with it because I’m curious about what’s going on around the development of the EOS and what’s under the hood. However, I also use other distributions, I like that you can safely say your opinion on the forum.

3 Likes

Personal numbers is not so importand… Lets say you can click.gentoo to nr 1 lol

3 Likes

That would be absolute blast!
Although i’d prefer to see Suicide linux or Linux from scratch on 1st place :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe Gentoo is not the tip of your heart? :slight_smile:

Endeavour popularity will take a bit of a jump soon once it reaches 100 reviews and gets on the ranking by ratings list

It will be number 5 or 6 when it gets on the list

For what it is worth: EndeavourOS has now pulled ahead of Arch itself in the DistroWatch popularity ratings. EOS is now number 15!

Considering that it took many years for Antergos to reach number 14, and that EndeavourOS is only a bit over a year old, this is quite an achievement in my opinion.

I offer my sincere thanks and congratulations to the developers.

Lawrence

12 Likes

Don’t go on DW figures page ranking is a new user thing and so is reading DW as it biased towards Debian/Ubuntu

1 Like

Master Yoda says: Find their own way people will :wink: