Top Twenty!

Anyway, this is a great achievement as the media and the online world still live under the spell of numbers.

1 Like

Numbers, money, the Great Lie. Unfortunately we live in this society so it does have relevance. Numbers and money give Power. The desire for power over others is what holds humanity back. Community and freedom within it, as long as we don’t knowingly harm others is surely what we should strive towards.

Distrowatch is helpful but it shouldn’t be taken as a total guideline.

3 Likes

Of course not! DistroWatch shows ONLY how many people have looked at/investigated a particular distro, NOT how many people actually use it.

But, as a good number of people do look at DistroWatch, the higher the ranking, the more people will notice the distro and therefore they may be tempted to at least investigate it.

They will certainly wonder about a GNU/Linux operating system that has gone from “nowhere” to well up in the rankings.

And if people do try using EndeavourOS (assuming that they are not too inexperienced using GNU/Linux operating systems), I think a significant number will like it and will continue to use it.

To get to number 15 on the DistroWatch list of top 100 systems in just a bit over 1 year is quite an amazing achievement!

Anyway, that’s my opinion.

Lawrence

2 Likes

It shows even less than that. One person can look at a distro many times to manipulate the rating.

Of course, for bigger distros, the numbers are much bigger, so it’s a bit more difficult to pull that off, but I’ve seen YouTubers with tens of thousands of subscribers urging their viewers to set their browser’s homepage on a Distrowatch page of some distro, and things like that.

3 Likes

As of today, September 24, 2020, EndeavourOS has reached # 14 on the DistroWatch list. That is, I believe, as high as Antergos ever got - and it existed for at least ten years.

For EndeavourOS to achieve this “number” after just a couple of months over one year is an amazing achievement in my opinion and I think that the developers and maintainers deserve a heartfelt “THANK YOU.”

I hope that EOS gets into the “Top Ten” (but not too high up). It really is a superb operating system and is by far the best one I have ever used in over twelve years of using GNU/Linux distros (and I have tried over twenty of them).

Lawrence

P.S. Yes I know that the ranking doesn’t mean a whole lot but it does show interest. Someone here wrote that people can “game” the rankings by employing lots of people to click on the distro in question (or they can even “mulitple-vote”) but I do not believe that the people involved with EOS do this. That’s my opinion anyway.

8 Likes

apparantly you get a special badge on this forum if you can prove you performed 10 000 clicks on Distrowatch :laughing:

6 Likes

@lhb1142
I agree with you and i have tried over 50 distros. I too was an Antergos user and liked it the most over all others including Manjaro and Arch itself. Then came EndeavourOS and i believe the rankings to be somewhat more accurate on this distro as it is mostly new users. Most users of Endeavour don’t go to the Distrowatch page to click on it to get to Endeavour to download it. It is of some value in my opinion. I also said in the beginning I’d like to see Endeavour in the top 20 in 2020. It’s done that easily.

Now what i would like to see is that Endeavour be in the top 5. :rocket:

4 Likes

No reason why it wouldn’t reach the top 5.

3 Likes

I could definitely see this happening. I also think the forum/community is a large part of that trajectory as well. Manjaro is at the top of the list because of its community, even though that has changed recently, and users perceive it to be the most “stable” over all other Arch distros.

There are holes though happening over there that show otherwise. As an example, a current thread is discussing the issue of “creating unbootable PCs because of wrong kernel image names” thus causing instability in their “stable” branch. Devs reporting that the issue slipped through to “stable” because of lack of users or feedback from their unstable branch. It goes to show you that even with layers of package-branch filtering, for those claiming their distro is the most stable, can be a slippery-slope, opening up questioning as to the validity of stability.

For this reason and more, I think EOS can be just as popular.

4 Likes

If a distros succeeds it’s normally because of one of two things:

1. Money
  2. Community

Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu have money.

Debian, Fedora, and Arch have community (and to an extent, early Ubuntu was evangelised by community too).

This reinforces the fact that if you don’t have money then development is a community effort.

13 Likes

Linux Mint has a good following and the community supports it! I wouldn’t say they have money but they do okay.

2 Likes

Yes, my list wasn’t exhaustive. :wink:

I’d say Mint is more on the community end of the spectrum than the money end - money implies a company backer (or a billionaire in the case of Ubuntu. :joy:).

I had it on good authority that if any of us did not like the direction it was going in, we should go fish. Plenty of fish in the sea. I guess enough of us went fishing.

5 Likes

Up to 14 and climbing

Also sitting at number 7 on the ranking by ratings list

1 Like

I’m finding with Arch and Arch-based distros that it’s a case of “horses for courses”. One of my desktops only seems to run well with Manjaro, my laptop hated it but Endeavour runs really well on it yet it didn’t like pure Arch either whilst my other desktop didn’t like Endeavour or Manjaro but is running really well on Arch!!! I’m not even gonna try to figure out why anymore , I’m going with all three. After all they all have Pacman and mainly the same Applications. Whoopee!! :exploding_head: :crazy_face: :grin:

How strange… I think your systems all have very different and very fussy little gremlins living inside them, kicking up a stink if they don’t like a certain distro. :smiling_imp:

In all seriousness though, I wonder why all arch distros are running very differently on your systems :thinking:

Anyway back on topic when I first discovered Endeavour OS back in April, on distrowatch I’m sure they were at 21,or thereabouts. So that’s a significant climb!
But the team truly deserve it Endeavour is a great distro - Very simple and lean, with the benefits of the AUR.

Plus, I Iove the very friendly community/forum
as well. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Endeavour makes it into the top ten within a few months.

6 Likes

In all fairness those three systems were obviously from three different ISO’s so there may be small things deep within the system that caused that effect.

More on topic Endeavour certainly has a wonderful forum, very open-minded and fun, but serious when needed. The distro is great and strikes a good balance by running an almost pure but accessible Arch experience. I can see it going a long way regardless of Distrowatch rankings.

The thing I’ve noticed, and I’ve only just started with Endeavour, is that there are few Windows refugees. Most new arrivals here seem to be from Linux distros. Manjaro nowadays seems to be attracting lots of Linux newbies who get rather freaked out when they have to use the command line and wonder why things are different from what they are used to. Frustrating for them and the receiving community and moderators!

Endeavour’s statement about being terminal-centric seems to be putting off total Linux newbies but attracting everyone who wants to try Arch.

I like my pure Arch setup too, but there’s no way I’m joining in with their forum. It sounds terrifying! No fun there… :scream: :wink:

Endeavour top ten? Bring it on! :metal:

3 Likes

agree with this community being spectacular…

i switched from manjaro for no specific reasons, other than slow boot times, and their leadership changes, etc… wanted something closer to the arch repos.

the only problem i have had with eos is that i was unable to install it in my new laptop (hybrid nvidia), no sound, as i previously described.

other than that, for my desktop system, it runs like a dream. subjectively, much faster than manjaro (which is no slouch other than boottimes).

to be fair, there are some points:

(1) kde - baloo_file_extractor seems to sometimes consume up to 100% of cpu. during the first day after install, the system was barely usable as a result. i wonder if others are experiencing similar issues.

(2) limited hardware compatibility for hybrid laptops (same as manjaro), including another ryzen 4500 laptop which i could not install properly.

(3) slow crypto unlocking and boot times compared with pop os - that system is very, very slick for suspending laptops and booting (i know they use a different system than grub, perhaps eos can look into it as the performance is terrific).

overall, however, this distribution is great and the performance fantastic. excellent outcomes for a newer system!! kudos to the community.

Regarding Baloo, it’s the file search framework so it’s indexing your system, a bit like Spotlight on a Mac if you’re familiar with that. Personally I turn off the KDE file search and use Angrysearch instead, or there is also Catfish and probably others. The downside is that you have to re-index them before using if you’ve made a lot of changes, but they are very fast at doing this. At least Angrysearch is, I have never used Catfish.

I always found that Baloo and especially Akonadi always slowed my KDE installs and used a lot of CPU power. Nowadays I just don’t use Baloo and won’t install any applications that pull in Akonadi as a dependency. It’s a bit of a pain because I love KAlarm but I can’t use it! :roll_eyes:

The name Linux Mint itself means mint, so the place where they make coins. :slight_smile: