Tip: Turn off Firefox 89-90 "Proton" Design

But… then how do you know which application you’re looking at? :exploding_head:

5 Likes

GUI is bloat! :smirk:

4 Likes

As if it was intended to be EndeavourOS’ default browser. :wink:

3 Likes

The new design looks good to me. Much more modern.

Of course, I have the titlebar, tab bar and bookmarks bar all hidden so I may not be seeing the same issues as the rest of you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I basically only show the address bar and I am probably not very far off that although I have never pixel counted.

2 Likes

I know we’re saying this in jest, but in all seriousness, for maybe 80% of stuff, it really is…

2 Likes

I have the title bar, menu bar and bookmarks bar all hidden but I can’t find a way to hide the tab bar. Do you do this in about:config or use some extension?

In your Firefox profile create chrome/userChrome.css

Put this in it:

#TabsToolbar { visibility: collapse !important; }

In about:config set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true.

Restart Firefox

5 Likes

Worked like a charm. In a blink of an eye the tab bar was gone!
Thank you so much!
:purple_heart:

2 Likes

I’m not seeing it. Doesn’t look much different to me? Ive tried turning it off and on and i don’t see much difference.

Edit: Okay i notice the icons missing in the application menu.

There may still be a way:

while true; do notify-send -t 1000 "$(xdotool getwindowfocus getwindowname)"; sleep 1; done;

or even better if you have festival (and festival-us) installed - because your neighbours deserve to know too.

while true; do xdotool getwindowfocus getwindowname | festival --tts; done;

Is this better? :crazy_face:

7 Likes

I just “love” how r/firefox has been a burning pile of trash since the Proton design came out on Nightly, but then the Firefox reddit community spent the last 6 months before that rioting over the highlighted address bar, so I guess it fits right into their MO…

1 Like

:ballot_box:

1 Like

Whelp… as of 91.0a1 2021-06-04 that flag no longer reverts the tab design to the old “attached” style… :sob:

1 Like

Might be time to move from top tabs to side tabs :nerd_face:

Tree-style tabs tend towards terrible times tiling. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That is a lot of t’s.

Also, I don’t know what it means :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a browser with an open sidebar. Tile it to the left or right of the screen. There’s no darned web page left. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Makes sense. I run my browser maximized so I have tons of wasted space on the sides which are great for tabs.

1 Like

That’s how they usually do it; after x number of updates flags that allows to reverse to an earlier design are disabled permanently.

It’s about time Firefox had a makeover, but I’m not a lover of the floating bug buttons.

Why not just add some minor rounded corners and swap the active color line to the bottom?

Of the variety of distros I have update Firefox on today, Pop!_OS looks much better.