The UK parliament passed bill to outlaw encryption

We do need the guns too, but I don’t want to bring that into this thread.

But drums still sound ok. Although I prefer the saxophone or piano in all seriousness.

back on topic:

It is a long story (as long as open source encryption code exist) about try to prohibit encryption.

PGP ? invented by Peace Movement people … basically Hippies…

Hippies invented best parts of tech and internet, Richard Stallman is also kinda hippie and we all enjoy our GNU/Linux to this day! :joy:

IF all new mainstream computer and smartphone devices won’t have hardware backdoors in the future, like Apple does now (which btw makes it not safe to have a conversation with anyone on Apple device, even if you both use Signal / Session for example, because it will be decrypted on Apple’s hardware-to-ai-to-cloud end).

I argue - they’ll certainly try it Microsoft Pluton "integrated security" (Intel, AMD, Qualcomm), therefore it will kill privacy and security for most people.

And some fully FOSS hardware / software will become…de-facto outlaws :clown_face: :earth_africa:

P.S. I pray each day to my RISC-V shrine :clown_face:

1 Like

there are 29 Million Developers on the planet …
I bet one or 2 will always find a workaround.

2 Likes

With Pluton, a third party can constantly monitor whatever passes through your CPU cache. There is no software way around that.

What I hope for is a firmware hack that disables Pluton. Ideally, motherboard manufactures will provide you with a switch for it, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. So far, all attempts to disable it have been unsuccessful.

Without that, all CPUs that have Pluton are to be considered compromised and no notion of privacy is possible on systems that have them.

1 Like

Well absolute most of them already do have the switch (in UEFI), problem is - it’s absolutely unverifiable, because all of it is proprietary.

So that switch for Microsoft Pluton is about as useful al privacy switches on Microsoft Windows :rofl:

Pluton is why I went with the absolute best am4 processor available. I may need this computer to last me a very very long time

2 Likes

Everyone that is worried about Pluton should be worried about this UK law, right ?
Or is there someone here that is worried with one but not with the other ?

I’m always worried about anything that takes away freedoms personally. But it would be very strange to be weary of one and not the other.

But what I am far less worried about is that one is a law and one is a market product.

If Pluton is trash and everyone in a year thinks it’s spyware and it’s terrible, then amd will still want to sell chips and they will remove it.

If it’s a law, they won’t have the option to cater to the market.

2 Likes

Agree 100%.
But if you look closely to what I said, search the forum, you will understand…

I really doubt it, since it’s universal also for Intel and Qualcomm…There’s basically no alternatives, except RISC-V and it’s not yet competitive.
Qualcomm is smartphone market, nobody consumer-wise gives a s**t about it’s privacy :frowning_face:

But yeah, grouping it with law makes it 10000% worse.

I’m not trying to bait anyone into more arguing. It’s not worth it. This topic is too important and there’s already hundreds of unnecessary posts trying to explain things.

Once again, agreed 100%.
I’m just trying to show how strange things are, things that I cannot explain…

Not yet. But if someone figures out that privacy centric consumers will pay big money to stay that way, someone will offer it. It could be the next big company.

I try and vote everyday with my dollars. From food to products I buy.

But if they make it into a law. . . There’s no chance to change their products to ones folks want to purchase. It will be left to the criminals savvy enough to create it.

Which, they will no matter the laws, so creating any law that hurts almost everyone and will catch almost no one is the absurdity of this entire law and thread.

I think there’s a big market for it honestly. I mean this isn’t even going to help anyone and people are CRAVING security and protection at any cost, even their own freedom and the freedom of others. They want it they just don’t actually know how to get it

Rapid growth of RISC-V proves it, that’s my hope as well.

2 Likes

Or maybe we’ll see pluton become it’s own chip all together and it could be left out or with like a physical switch like many companies are now doing for cameras for instance.

Where there’s a demand, there will be someone to fill it. Legal or not.

1 Like

People can see right through THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!1111 by just reading some of that legal bomb.

Fellow :enos: user did a report on USA thinkers of the children…good job.

3 Likes

This guy only mistake is that he is not using Gnome :sweat_smile:

Finally an oppressive measure I thoroughly support. Can’t wait to be able to enjoy dinner with my wife in peace.

A very Brave man as well, clearly. :rofl:

So the jackboots are out arresting livestreamers for breaking a law that isn’t even the law yet. Ironically, there is a significant chance that I vehemently disagree with the views of the livestreamer in question. In fact, I would not hesitate in saying that I likely would consider most of the people who are being silenced by this law to be protofascistic jackasses. A part of me derives joy from the idea of proto-fascists being crushed by an authoritarian state (especially when it’s not my own). :ireland: But this is a point that Martin Niemöller made very eloquently over half a century ago:

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen,
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen,
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich geschwiegen,
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr,
der protestieren konnte.

You probably have read a mangled translation of this (“first they came for the communists”). Mangled or not - the point is the same - once the state starts to abuse its authority and departs from the rule of law, the citizens suffer.

2 Likes