The Linux foundation doesn't use Linux

Moderation Note: Moved from Do you use another distro?

Kidz just wanna play. Simple as that. You know most Linux “users” don’t use Linux for getting shit done, they have Win and Mac for that. Same as the useless Linux foundation guys. Nobody there uses Linux.

1 Like

Hmm - seems a little harsh to me. Some of us don’t have Win OR Mac - or at least not versions that COULD do any work. As for playing - I guess guilty - but that’s why there’s a ‘daily driver’ in the list. It’s also why the daily driver setup is on more than one distro - think of it as ‘disaster-proofing’ in case work needs to be done!

6 Likes

Really? I know a lot of people have to use something else at their specific job, but I would definitely say your statement is pretty far from there “usual” Linux user. Or, at least the usual user here. I can not speak on behalf of the Ubuntu users since I haven’t looked into it much in the last 5 years.

As far as the Linux foundation folks not using Linux, what experience do you have to substantiate this? It seems highly unlikely, so I’d assume you must have worked there at some point recently?

1 Like

Actually, if you type “linux foundation uses macs and windows” into a search engine you’ll get some results that back up that claim. :man_shrugging:t2:

For me, I use Linux for everything, and have been doing so for almost 10 years.

13 Likes

The “Linux Foundation” might not be exactly what you think it is. It is a corporate collective. There are documented examples of them using Windows and MacOS at presentations. That being said, I don’t really think it matters much either way.

6 Likes

Harsh? Yeah, I found it harsh as well when Jim Zemlin showed his graphs during his speech at the Linux conference from a Mac.
And guess wot, my last iMac died in 04, never to be replaced, adn I left the Win world back in Win7 times, so I do everything on Linux - without having much of a clue, no coding skills and no heightened interest in computers in the first place. Experience tells me that I’m the odd one out in the Linuxverse.

1 Like

Neither can I. Never used that shite. When I decided to try Linux I did thorough research of just 2 minutes and went straight to Mint Xfce.

As far as Mac is used: Here we have Jim Zemlin himself at LCU:

And Lunduke, who attends Linux conferences regularly, says he sees a lot of MacBooks there and nobody woud do any real work on Linux powered machines.

3 Likes

Speaking of harsh, DT had some harsh words to say about the Linux Foundation:

While I find it slightly cringey that he acts all outraged at something which is old news, I don’t see anything he’s factually wrong about in the video (except maybe the statement that “Linux is a product of the Linux Foundation”, that’s stretching it a bit). The Linux Foundation ought to be condemned and ridiculed for not using Linux, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Define “real work” – because from watching through most of the video, all he said is that Macbooks are used for PDFs and presentations and it’s just that a public figure for “The Linux Foundation” is not publicly using Linux.

PDFs, presentations, etc. are hardly “real work” in a sense that they can be done on any platform to the same degree, even phones. Everything has an office suite, just in that specific case, it should’ve been Linux because “Linux Foundation”.

There’s plenty of developers, pentesters, sysadmins, etc. exclusively using Linux. That’s all work. The only real advantage Macs have is that they hold the monopoly on audio engineering software, so people are forced to buy an overpriced tower just to have access to said software. There’s plenty of competent alternatives to Adobe software.

1 Like

Well this is very interesting and I’m very surprised to hear of this. I’d expect better from people who are a part of Linux foundation for goodness sake. Same for those attending a Linux conference :expressionless:

As for other users I can’t speak for them. But since joining the Linux world all of 2 months ago. I personally have been on my Linux partitions for everything. Only dipping into windows to access some of my files and put them on USB.

Edited due to typo

5 Likes

I’d say that, that makes the whole situation worse. Why use a Mac for presentations/PDFs when as you said that can be done easily on any platform - I myself gave a big presentation last week (virtually) on my Endeavour partition.

Fair enough if they were using Mac for something that doesn’t have an alternative in the FOSS world, but I agree with you that presentations from a Linux foundation member should and could be done on a Linux machine. As its easy to do so.

7 Likes

Well the answer is simple how many Linux pdf editors work, Mac remember is unix, The linux foundation bang on about Linux should be more unix like. The other thing is how do you know they are not duel booting Ubuntu or Fedora,

I also would say they are bang on many Linux users only play with Linux come many are VB installs anyway
BUT then i’m only speculating as a Linux user for nearly 20 years

3 Likes

Well your 20 years of Linux usage trumps my 2 months. :smile:

However, editing PDFs and presenting PDFs are two very different things. The latter can be done from even within a web browser. So I still don’t see why a Linux foundation member would present from within their Mac OS. If like you suggest they have Ubuntu or Fedora as a dual boot they could have easily presented from that partition instead.

As for editing PDFs I haven’t tried doing that on Linux, as that was already a tricky thing for me to do even on windows. So, I can’t speak much about that. However, I believe there is a program called Scribus which can be used to create PDFs - Not sure about editing though…

2 Likes

Never used that shite? Thorough research of just two minutes? Haha. No one wonder you think you can’t do any real work on Linux. That’s quite the effort there.

2 Likes

It would be such a good opportunity to showcase that Linux can deal with PDFs and presentations, though? Using Macs seems to send a message that it’s better to use a Mac. And it would be nice if they put their attention positively on caring about Linux users’ opinion and by e.g. progressing FOSS further regarding PDFs and presentations.

4 Likes

I don’t think that can be true. Even in the 3 years I’ve been on Linux, the vast majority reference running fully installed Linux.

1 Like

Huh? I exclusively use Linux for everything since 7 years now. Not bad for a woman, no? After 2 weeks on Mint I switched to Arch and never looked back. The “thorough” was meant sarcastically, to show not every Linux n00b must inevitably end up on fukn Ubu.

I was only showing that many “Linux users” including even the big boss of the Linux Foundation are too stuck up to use Linux for their work.

2 Likes

More than likely the Macs are freebees anyway Apple has a habit of handing out laptops, pads, and phones to these peoples for free.

1 Like

Real work is done in a terminal no matter what you are running. That real work is done more and more on linux servers.

2 Likes

OS X is an operating system that is derived directly (or almost) from the Unix operating system. In contrast, Linux is not derived from Unix, but its structure is very similar to that of Unix. Both Unix and Linux followed very similar lines of development. Therefore, this makes both systems compatible in some way. Besides sharing their common stability and security, they also share the fact that both have parts that are free software.
macOS is a nice and commercial shell, internally it is Linux.
Otherwise it wouldn’t have the reliability it has in use in large financial companies around the world.

4 Likes