Strange fonts in Firefox (space and characters)

Does creating a new user in the OS not automatically create a new profile?

1 Like

It normally creates a (new) user folder under /home/, like all normal users have.

what DE/WM is in use?
Could be i missed that it was mentioned already :wink:
The issue looks a lot like it is using some iconic font to render the numbers?
Could be from settings in WM ā€¦ in a full DE i would not think it would be possibleā€¦

KDE

Another better idea is to reset Firefox and also try with safe mode (embedded problem-solving function).
If the font [space] problem is only on Firefox, I donā€™t find a reason to look for a system problem.

would be simple to do by moving ~/.mozilla out of the way mv ~/.mozilla ~/.original-mozilla and start it from scratchā€¦

But could it be some font setting on Plasma // QT // GTK ?

This is exactly what Firefox Renew Profile does :wink: Actually creates a new profile (name/folder), keeping old data in the old folder.

If it was something like this happening, then that wide [space] would be obvious in all apps (with relevant TK, or not).
But nobody can be sure. Itā€™s just narrowing probabilities down :smile:

This is exactly what Firefox Renew Profile does :wink: Actually creates a new profile (name/folder), keeping old data in the old folder.

Ah, I understand. Well thatā€™s the very first thing I tried, honestly

You may try a new user, not profile. A Linux user account.

If this doesnā€™t change FF issue, then you have other troubleshooting to do:

• Check FF for errors in devtools and console.
  • Identify which fonts are used for FF menus and wherever you have this issue. There is a procedure to do this. If you donā€™t find how, I could send a link later (Iā€™m out now).

I started Firefox via terminal and it tells me this:

(firefox:35338): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:08:13.898: Unknown key gtk-document-fon
t-name in /home/salvatore/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

(firefox:35338): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:08:13.898: Unknown key gtk-monospace-fo
nt-name in /home/salvatore/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.

I went to check the settings.ini file and it tells me this:

[Settings]
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=true
gtk-button-images=true
gtk-cursor-theme-name=capitaine-cursors-light
gtk-cursor-theme-size=36
gtk-decoration-layout=:minimize,maximize,close
gtk-document-font-name=Noto Sans,  10
gtk-enable-animations=true
gtk-font-name=Noto Sans,  10
gtk-icon-theme-name=Papirus-Dark
gtk-menu-images=true
gtk-modules=colorreload-gtk-module:window-decorations-gtk-module
gtk-monospace-font-name=Noto Sans,  10
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=false
gtk-theme-name=Adwaita-dark
gtk-toolbar-style=3

I donā€™t know if that message is related

This is obviously not a Monospace font.
Why donā€™t you change it to a monospace equivalent? :wink:
You might need to re-login, or restart KDE to take effect.

I actually thought that changing it in the KDE settings, as @keybreak had suggested, would also change in the settings of the Gnome apps. In any case, I will try to change it in the file, even if I cannot exit the PC at the moment. I leave the session later.

:person_facepalming: indeed ā€¦ but moving the folder seperates the configs in a way more fool-proof :wink:

1 Like

Do you happen to have noto-fonts-emoji installed on your system? If so, temporarily uninstall noto-fonts-emoji, reboot (or log out/in), and check Firefox again.

The problem reported here seems similar to yours:

Notice in the screenshot above the extra-wide spacing between words, and the extra left and right padding around numerals. Itā€™s also what I see in your screenshots.

The problem in this case is that noto-fonts-emoji has somehow taken precedence over (has a higher preference than) noto-fonts for the space character (which is extra-wide in noto-fonts-emoji) and numerals (which have extra left and right padding in noto-fonts-emoji).

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion. When I am at the PC I will try, although I think it would be a bit of a problem not to have noto-fonts-emoji. In case Iā€™ll keep the bad fonts

Even if noto-fonts-emoji turns out to be the culprit, you can still re-install noto-fonts-emoji. Then we can try to determine how one font has taken precedence over the other, at least for numerals and the space character in Firefox.

1 Like

You were right. Removing noto-fonts-emoji solved the problem. Now Iā€™ll see if itā€™s worth it, because I need noto-fonts-emoji. But thanks anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.