Steam Client Has a Major Update with Lots of Linux/Vulkan Improvements

Valve released today a new major update to their Steam Client for Linux, Mac, and Windows platforms, adding a whole bunch of new features and improvements for a better gaming experience.

It’s been about two months since the last stable Steam Client release, which didn’t brought any major changes for Linux users. The new version, however, is packed with improvements for Linux gamers.

For starters, Valve has fixed a regression that caused invalid rendering on NVIDIA configurations with on-screen keyboard and the transparent visual selection for SteamOS overlays and reduced the Vulkan shader processing memory usage with the open-source AMD Radeon Vulkan driver (RADV).

Source

4 Likes

:partying_face:

Btw i think it’s appropriate to post such news on Linux gaming [Guide] :wink:

Let this be our gaming hub, please share:

• Update of tools
  • Best practices
  • Quality guides
  • New hot tech
  • Performance tips
1 Like

I would only agree if that thread was a pinned topic (or is it?,) so my suggestion would be to start there. As of now, unless the thread stays active, it could fall off to the bottom of the list, ie hidden unless searched.

1 Like

:point_up_2:t2:

Yeah, but i thought that to pin it only moderator can do that, hence i asked @BONK in post 3 of this thread about it :upside_down_face:

:thinking:

1 Like

wriggles nose crosses arms and blinks

3 Likes

That’s the spirit! :star_struck:

Thanks. You can move my post to that thread, or do I need to repost it there?

btw that’s weird, once i read or post in this topic it says:

This topic is unpinned for you; it will display in regular order

When i manually choose to pin it for me - it still unpins afterwards…
Any way of permanently pin it?
Is it because i’m author or some forum bug?

1 Like

Jeez…Looks like it’s forum bug, same happens in other categories with pinned posts too :astonished: :scream: :scream_cat:

Nope.

Ain’t that a stupid defaults when i see one?! :man_facepalming:

:ballot_box_with_check: Automatically unpin topics when I reach the bottom.

@joekamprad any way to change defaults for that option for all users, unless user already manually changed it?

I think that would make much more sense to disable that option…
Not even for Linux gaming post sake, but more so for policy announcements or category rules etc

Or maybe i miss something here :thinking:

1 Like

IMHO the #Arch-based-related-questions:gaming category should be used for questions (it’s in the category name, after all). If it’s general news or discussion then that would go in the #lounge. Putting everything into one “megathread” can make things harder to track; Discourse allows threads, so use them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah but point is - who would need to track / search news on Steam / DXVK updates except gamers anyway…

Besides, this category practically became just Gaming category (making it top-level would be overkill just yet, as it’s just started to grow on this community), which is meant for two type of Topics: Guides (wiki) / Problems (support)

Well and also practically Game lounge

Mixing it with news would clutter things, coz there are a lot of gaming news and posting gaming things in lounge or announcements would be overkill for non-gamer users :thinking: