Stability vs Manjaro?

Welcome to the community :beers:

2 Likes

:rofl:

And that includes the Hannah Montana Linux

3 Likes

If somebody has an issue with manjaro, he should discuss it at manjaro forum.
This thread leads ro nowhere and should end.

4 Likes

Which one? Nobody has accounts anymore at the new one. Coincidence?

5 Likes

Manjaro is reporting some 2081 users???
I still canā€™t login and Iā€™m not about create a new account. They purged a lot of brain trust with this fiasco.

6 Likes

Create one, doesnā€™t hurt.

1 Like

Ok firstly, this thread was not designed to create any sort of war, or arguments between the 2 distros. I simply wanted to know for my own peace of mind/knowledge.
Secondly, I stopped replying when it was becoming a war between them, so donā€™t hold me accountable.
Lastly, while I donā€™t/didnā€™t want a war of words between the 2 distros, I actually disagree with the fact that a fair few people turn away or run away and want to keep silent whenever any negative mention of Manjaro is mentioned here. Sure, its better suited to do that on the awful Manjaro forumsā€¦but if I was a new company/business/distro, whatever the case may be, and trying to grow, I would certainly be dissing the ā€œcompetitionā€ (if you can call them that) or pointing out the negatives of them. Because thatā€™s how marketing works sometimes. Pointing out all the negatives of 1 company/distro, when new users/lurkers read it, itā€™ll give them more incentive to distro-hop or try something new. At the very least, there is nothing to lose by doing so.
I actually run a business, and I do not shy away from pointing out the negatives and taking the mickey out of my competitors, and yes my business is successful.
You CAN have a healthy debate about the negatives of 1 distro compared to the other without arguing and without having to turn away just to avoid said debate.
Debates and different opinions are part of life.

I think you are far from our philosophy !
We donā€™t look for the weakness of others distro to beā€¦ We see Linux distro as the same familly then rolls your business as you want here the debate is Stability vs Manjaro, where you are Off Topic !

Try to see it then letā€™s come back On Topic.

5 Likes

Agree to disagree but I mean nothing but respect

1 Like

Perhaps it could be generalized to stability, versus rolling release.

I can only speak for myself, and I want bleeding edge, with all itā€™s perks and incremental risks. Itā€™s up to me to asses the hazards of updating any given package, best to my knowledge, and I want as few middle men as possible touching the upstream source before I can get my greedy hands on it. :wink:

If I was going for stability foremost, I wouldā€™ve gone for Debian Stable, and most certainly not a roiling release.

2 Likes

A roiling release distro would certainly be something to avoid. :innocent:

13 Likes

Haha! :rofl:

Rolling! :grin:

6 Likes

Itā€™s simple , nothing to discuss

Manjaro is Stable (especially XFCE ) until you do some serious messing up which I did and even broke the timshift snapshots :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

How will you rescue the system if the system rescuer is broken :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Might help to do a triple layered backup. I have backintime scheduled backups set up, timeshift snapshots scheduled, luckybackup backups of important directories scheduled and frequent clonezilla images

I have had no stability issues since using Arch. I had with Manjaro, when I had a AUR package updated, which was relying on a new package in the Arch repo. So it broke on Manjaro.

But I also dont use much AUR Packages anyway, I have a lot in docker

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why you should schedule DR tests on regular basis to verify if your backup really works! :wink:

Its easier to learn how to fix problems than waste space with endless backups and now you are on a mostly Arch based system Arch take care of you with Arch Rollback Machine

Testing backups seems like a really good idea to me. No amount of Arch knowledge will help you recover from a hardware failure without a valid backup which you can access.

When you have a need to recover is the worst time to realize you lost the copy of the encryption keys for your backup.

5 Likes

Funniest thing Iā€™ve heard in a long time. I donā€™t think Arch is for you if you donā€™t want to put into practice making regular backups.
Secondly, itā€™s called an external HDD/SSD dedicated just for backups.
Lastly, it overwrites previous backups so as to not waste space. You can keep 3,4,5, etc snapshots or overwrite the oldest ones.