Sound broken with latest pipewire update (1:0.3.24-1)

Just for information :
The latest pipewire update completely broke the soundsystem on my Netbook. After the update there were no devices available for configuration. No internal devices, no bluetooth devices and no USB devices. Downgrading to version 1:0.3.23-1 fixed the problem.
Have to have a look if there are problems on my desktop PC too. Maybe there are some general issues with the latest version.

2 Likes

We don’t use Linux Windows style. :wink:

Scnr

1 Like

Especially with Etcher :rofl:

1 Like

Can confirm. My system’s audio is also broken right now. No audio devices detected. checking the pipewire service shows that it’s enabled and running

â—Ź pipewire.service - Multimedia Service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service; enabled; vendor preset: en>
Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-03-19 17:04:35 +08; 4min 46s ago
TriggeredBy: â—Ź pipewire.socket
Main PID: 1306 (pipewire)
CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/session.slice/pipewire.servi>
└─1306 /usr/bin/pipewire

Edit : Fixed by following the suggestions in this thread on reddit . TLDR ; Replace /etc/pipewire/media-session.d/media-session.conf with /etc/pipewire/media-session.d/media-session.conf.pacnew if you have it in the directory. If not, nuke the whole /etc/pipewire folder and reinstall pipewire (and all the dependencies)

4 Likes

I can confirm that replacing the file works. Back in the game. :wink:
Thanks for sharing the solution. Saved some work.

1 Like

“Always merge your pacnew!”

3 Likes

I never did that before and had no trouble to this point. :wink:
I guess there is a first time for everything :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you’ve been lucky (or things have been quietly broken… :grin:):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

Yeah merging .pacnew is very not obvious part of Arch which will break something in time if you don’t know about it…

No idea why it’s not the first thing that got screamed to user from :enos: welcome screen :scream:

i got problems with audio after an upgrade of pipewire, using garuda linux, i don’t have these paths.

You’re probably using wireplumber instead of pipewire-media-session (I don’t know for sure, as I don’t use Garuda, but wireplumber is recommended these days over pipewire-media-session).

Referring to 11-month-old threads on a rolling release distro is not a good idea. Things change.

3 Likes

Garuda (currently) defaults to WirePlumber so, yes.

2 Likes