[Solved] Loud beep at shutdown

This has happened occasionally in past few days. I have unchecked audible bell in kde system settings, but still that horrible beeb freaks me out just when you least expect it. The problem is it happens randomly. So it’s hard to find out what’s the problem. Any solutions how to disable it completely?

1 Like

I noticed that too, right after the major Plasma update last week. It happens at shutdown, hibernate and for laptop users when you close the lid. (but that is hibernate/suspend, stupid Bryan, I hear you think… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
I’m also looking for a mute solution because it is annoying.

2 Likes
su -c 'modprobe -r pcspkr && echo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf'

Works for me. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PC_speaker#Disabling_the_PC_speaker

P.S. It could be that the computer is swearing at you for shutting it down :crazy_face:

7 Likes

I saw that one too, but I guess it is a good solution for desktops but not for laptops. I really need those speakers.

I also need my speakers…:grin:

1 Like

I noticed it, too, but only once, immediately upon rebooting after the big update a few days ago, similar to @Bryanpwo. Unpleasantly loud and quite startling, and surely not healthy for the speakers…

I haven’t heard it since, thankfully.

1 Like

I only have a laptop. You could try it, and then if it’s impacting on other things undo it?

1 Like

It doesn’t mute the “speakers”, just the “pcspkr” - it is one of the first things I do on a new install :rofl: no more annoying beeps!!!

5 Likes

@r0ckhopper @xircon

I didn’t know that, I assumed it muted my laptop speakers also! I’m going to give it a try.

1 Like

It worked! Thanks. I was going mad with that awful beeb… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You’re welcome :smiley:

You too @Bryanpwo :smiley: :point_down:

1 Like

Indeed it works! Thank you so much!

1 Like

I also have a beep at Cinnamon during the shutdown on my Lenovo desktop. I switched to Xfce, but the situation hasn’t changed. This was the case after today’s systemd update, although the two may have nothing to do with each other. Linux Mint doesn’t have this beep, and if I have time, I’ll see if there is a beep during shutdown for openSUSE Tumbleweed as well.
It looks like this disturbing beep will also occur when shutting down or restarting when using Gnome.

This doesn’t occur on my end:
GNOME on Arch and also on Fedora

Both systems fully updated, with Fedora’s edge bleeding a bit more than Arch’s :sweat_smile:

Fedora: mutter >> 42.1-2
Arch  : mutter >> 42.1-1

On most desktop computers, the ‘pcspkr’ is a peizo speaker. Since I build all my desktops, I never install a ‘pcspkr’ piezo speaker. So no problem here.

Pudge

3 Likes

There is no beep during shutdown on my test laptop after today’s package update.

Not all computers have beepers :wink:

This is also true.

I have noticed that. My girlfriend has a HP laptop with EOS KDE Plasma installed on it and she don’t have to suffer any beeps… :wink:

1 Like

My DELL laptop had that freaking beeper so loud i nearly suffered a heart attack :rofl:

2 Likes