Show your battlestations

It is indeed a regular GTX 1650, I transplanted it from my previous pc…
(since that one still ran on X58 platform, anything beefier would have turned the cpu’s into a bottleneckà

It’s a budget card, so you get what you pay for.
It’s small and quiet, and you can even get away with some light 1080P 60Hz gaming on more recent titles.
Older stuff runs like a charm, even on higher settings.

Had no troubles getting it to work on EndeavorOS, with the proprietary drivers.

For a mini ITX I think it is a good fit, for people planning to build a cheap gaming rig, I’d rather recommend an AMD RX 5500 XT or RX 5600 XT if budget allows it.

I will probably switch it out for an RX 5600 XT myself in the future. If needed I can always reuse my older 800W PSU

Edit: Just ran my system throught Cooler Masters PSU calculator, and even the 450W PSU should suffice for an RX 5600 XT :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I saw the Nvidia box and the words “So this happened today” and thought you’d managed to get your hands on the Nvidia GTX 3080 :joy:.
They’re like golden tickets right now :eyes:

Now THAT would be an upgrade :grinning:

1 Like

I caved in and bought the RX5600 XT sooner than expected.
Instead I will probably skip this generation of game consoles to justify this purchase.

I always thought that on my previous build, the 10 year old Xeons where the limiting factor,
but frame-rates where barely any higher when I put the old GTX 1650 in my new build, only the micro-stuttering disappeared.

20200925_152226

5 Likes

Congrats! :partying_face:

Btw since you constantly move RAM module, it is highly advisable to use motherboard port number 1, if you have only 1 module (usually it’s closest to CPU, but see motherboard’s text hints).

For best performance at least :slight_smile:

That first pic was before I ever booted it.
Only moved it once, because it didn’t post on first boot.
Second and fourth slot from the left have ‘first’ printed next to it on the motherboard…
module in second slot didn’t post, so I put it in the last one.

1 Like

processed

His and hers. :rofl:

12 Likes

To the right, finaly you can appreciate that extended keyboard setup for all your emacs shortcuts." :ok_hand::rofl:

Seems like you both are creative minds :slightly_smiling_face:

She is !

I try to fit in time to tinker away on sound design , and learn some music theory …alongside bash theory :sunglasses:

2 Likes

How do you like Bitwig on Linux btw?
Haven’t tested it too much yet, i’m mostly Renoise lurker :upside_down_face:

so lovely! :smile_cat: and love the purpley-pink light :milky_way:

He and his twin sister, and a third one where all strays who popped into my garden about two years ago, in a really malnourished state. We took all tree to the vet, and the third one even had to stay there because he was so weakened.
About 4 months later the bell rang, and it was a shabby looking guy who came asking about his cats.
I invited the guy in to have a look if they where his, and as soon as they saw him, they quickly hid away. (first red flag)

When I told him he was quite late to come searching for his cats (they where living with us for 4 months, and who knows how long they had been out there)
He just said he didn’t have much time.

I then asked if he lived in the neighborhood, and apparently he lived only 2 houses from me, so it was clear the cats weren’t lost, they just didn’t want to go home (red flag number 2)

When I finally told him, that he could take the two home (by then the third one passed away because of the malnourishment), but not before he paid the 4-500 euros of bills from the veterinary, he told me to keep the damned cats, because he didn’t have any money to feed them anyways…

And since then both of them have grown from two scrawny scared cats, into two healthy animals, who can’t stand being alone :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s difficult to overstate how much that pisses me off. Especially having the nerve to come back for the cats. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

I can’t say the bad words I want to about that guy. Great that you have the cats, and very good way to get rid of him and keep them. The cats must have known they’d be safe with you, and the cat in the picture looks so healthy and strong; awesome. :smile_cat:

I had a cat that had been very badly treated and was all skin and bone too, way back. She didn’t even know how to play, and didn’t have the confidence to go outside … until I took in a friend’s kitty from hell, who was a real character, looking at me while chewing the computer wires, lol. He gave her the confidence to go outside, and I taught her how to play. Seeing her fatten up and happy was awesome! About the other kitty, I couldn’t afford to keep him back then, as he never stopped eating, lol, but he went to a good new home. :house:

4 Likes

Well the twins are doing just fine now :kissing_cat:

Yeah he’s really big for a normal house cat, about twice the size of his sister… Since this year we also adopted an elderly white male Maine Coon, en they only differ about a headlength in size.

About 2 months later the guy moved again… probably couldn’t pay his rent… would have left the cats anyway I guys…

11 Likes

They couldn’t look happier or more relaxed; lovely! :smile_cat: :smile_cat:

3 Likes

They are gorgeous cats. Remind me of my parents’ cat:
20181114_092521

And before anyone says this is off topic, it is not! If you look carefully, the reflection in the cat’s eye is my computer screen (probably the TTY) :rofl:

She was also a stray, I found her as a kitten in my chilli pepper plant at my parents’ house:
peppers

6 Likes

Bit late to the party as with many threads on these forums, but here’s my docking station setup. Currently being used in this pic withe my work laptop, but all my personal laptops get used on it as well.

https://ibb.co/p22ZH60

6 Likes

awww, so cute! and lovely as an adult too. :smile_cat:

2 Likes