Should there be an option to install openbox with a simple config?

I think that there should be an option in the installer to install the openbox window manager with the packages [ obconf, obmenu(AUR), nitrogen, jgmenu and xfce4-panel or tint2 ] because many people want to try window managers but don’t want to to configure them like other people configure dwm and i3 window managers, also it is a nice stacking/floating window manager that it is nice for new users and it is easy to use for everyday life and work, even if some people call it as a desktop environment or a bloated window manager. I would like to read your opinion about this.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Keeping this brief:

or you?

6 Likes

Welcome! There is nothing wrong with thinking there should be openbox option! But of-course we can’t just make that happen without some work! Even a simple config is still a config!

However that doesn’t mean it can’t happen! We saw sway happen and bspwm on the way, if you would like a openbox version why don’t you give it a try! It can be offered as a community edition alongside the other two wm projects! I’m sure the community will support you!

( PS : I was acc thinking of maintaing a openbox CE… :upside_down_face: maybe after sway and bspwm - trust me I live a boring life and it would be a nice challenge! Perhaps we could work toghther! I was only waiting until we got sway and bspwm finished… )

7 Likes

I agree, a simple config would help. Perhaps just a wallpaper that says "Right Click!!! :smiley: "

5 Likes

2 tint2s are the thing really. One as an icon launcher on the left and a desktop switch with sys tray on top. Easy peasy

1 Like

We managed to get the devs to get polybar into the repo…we can use that too.

We should stop before we go off-topic :laughing:

2 Likes

im no fan of polybar at all

3 Likes

together with the integration for the Community Editions (sway Bspwm) we do implement an option to the ISO what will make it possible to install any DE/WM by providing a packagelist and a setup script.
For a template simple take a look at the sway one:

mainly two files are needed:
Packages: https://github.com/EndeavourOS-Community-Editions/sway/blob/main/netinstall.yaml
Setup: https://github.com/EndeavourOS-Community-Editions/sway/blob/main/setup.sh

4 Likes

@LizziAS

we all different :blush: i no fan of icon launcher :wink: that beauty linux ! it can look ,feel and run how we want . :+1:

Openbox … wow no used for long time :cry: sounds interesting project + got me think about Awesome wm now :thinking:

4 Likes

Screenshot at 2021-03-05 21-00-17

this is mate but you get the idea… openbox i do similarly…

3 Likes

Very nice, makes me want to install Mate now lol. I thought i was one of the few who liked Mate :smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the fun forum @askel :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

2 Likes

I agree. A simple Openbox Endeavour version would be great. It is a great floating window manager.

3 Likes

If you’d like the EnOS Openbox variant to look like the original #! Crunchbang, download #!++ at https://crunchbangplusplus.org/oldindex.html and have a look at these scripts.
cbpp These are more or less the old #! scripts, adjusted to systemd. And, at the hidden files in /etc/skel

3 Likes

There are more of us out there than you’d think. I run MATE almost* exclusively. :grin:

* I have a touchscreen tablet running GNOME, and GNOME does work better for that.

4 Likes

I haven’t experimented enough to know - but if I could run xfce’s Whisker menu on MATE, I might! :grin: The rest of it is old-school, but just fine…

3 Likes

I also liked GNOME on my raspberry pi on my TV. It was almost entirely just click and watch sports, and it’s nice dopey icons made it easy on the big screen.

There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

(I’m just kidding, I’m not one of the dozen)
Edit: Also I realize that much of the world (hopefully) doesn’t have our garbage television and may not get the Arrested Development reference.

1 Like

If an EnOS Openbox variant will happen, make sure there’d be scaling for displays for 2k and 4k screens, otherwise letters will be so tiny. I don’t know how to get the scaling.

1 Like

@anon61101858
I believe, you have lot of knowledge on this matter, Openbox and scaling. Hope you can give some ideas. :slight_smile:

After bspwm, AwesomeWM is on my list :wink:

1 Like