Should Linus(LTT) Pick Endeavour as his Daily Driver?

When did the verb ‘drive’ start to be used instead of ‘run’ or ‘use’ linux?

If he wants to win the bet then he should go for PopOS. Endeavour is awesome, but the learning curve is a bit too high for noobs.

1 Like

EndeavourOS obviously, simply because it includes the AUR, that makes it super userfriendly.

1 Like

I can understand avoiding Fedora, the learning curve is steep and the stance on proprietary drivers tosses an additional step in the mix that a lot of new users find confusing. PopOS is the way to go, especially if he tosses it on a hybrid graphics laptop, where everything will work out of the box

My daily driver was called Charles. Unfortunately when the pandemic kicked in I had to stop using the Limo. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m thoroughly suggesting he use EndeavourOS or Garuda. The difference with Garuda is that many gaming oriented tweaks are pre installed, however the EndeavourOS experience is more vanilla. Whatever he does, I hope he doesn’t use yet another Ubuntu derivative. I have some beef with Manjaro and I feel Garuda or Endeavour serves his needs better anyway. Ubuntu systems are harder to use/maintain in my opinion and usually require building things from scratch+ dependencies if you want newer software. We also have the AUR to play with!

Btw, Endeavour is now #2 on distrowatch! Heck yes! And today marks 1 year of me using endeavour on my daily driver! Thanks guys!

One more thing: He should use something arch based if he wants to poke around the Steam deck

2 Likes

That ain’t likely going to happen :cowboy_hat_face:

Who knows? Maybe he will see we are #2 and Garuda is #8 on distrowatch!

This guy will use one of the most popular distros, no time to fiddle around. Manjaro has been popular for easy setup and gaming for a long time, doubt that they will go for more niche distros.

I am also convinced that they would be better off using EOS, havent tried garuda yet. I use linux also at work and eos has been more stable than ubuntu for me! So I get you. But well, very few people are willing to put in the time and learn, its quite a big leap from windows to linux if you dont know much.

2 Likes
  1. Fedora uses Gnome shell. This is inacceptable.
  2. Fedora is RHEL’s lab rat. We don’t want anything to do with American commercial stuff.
2 Likes

Anthony is the best and most geeky of the bunch.

1 Like

Fedora can be an absolute chore for someone who knows little about Linux and because of how Fedora handles proprietary bits. Finding documentation can be a slog as there simply isnt as much of it for things. This wouldnt work out for some of what LTT would want to do.

I do love Fedora though for people who know how to use it and for people who know absolutely nothing and just want a working system OOTB with decent security. Just setup flatpaks/gnome software and your tech literate grandparents will have a grand ol time.

3 Likes

Relevant:

Linus mentioned one of his concerns being the fact that when you search for a solution online you find how to do things for a certain distro, but that doesn’t necessary apply for your particular distro.

Funny thing, when I decided to bite the bullet and try an Arch derivative for the first time I did so because most of my troubleshooting online searches were returning pages from the Arch wiki or arch-related solutions. So I thought, Arch might be a distro with higher difficulty level, but that doesn’t matter if there is so much documentation.

Because of AUR I think Arch derivatives to be the most complete in what available software is concerned. Also they have the latest drivers, which is a plus for gaming. I can’t imagine using anything than Arch-based for daily driving. Maybe if I had a machine built for a very specific purpose I would choose based on other criteria.

3 Likes

You can run almost any program on almost any distro, as long as it is not terribly outdated, the AUR just makes it very convenient.

Just for the
linuxfx

So Linuxfx for Linus?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

moltt

frog_rofl

5 Likes

HEY!
Where is LFS and TempleOS?! :thinking:

2 Likes

Where’s Suicide Linux and Red Star OS??