Should Linus(LTT) Pick Endeavour as his Daily Driver?

Well this summarizes the trilogy about it.

3 Likes

Seems every linux youtuber has made a react video… as if there’s nothing else exciting going on.

I tried this with LibreDraw but it doesn’t have any certificates when the pop up menu shows up. I couldn’t figure out how to add one.

I couldn’t find much resource online and then just gave up. I was very curious to get this to work.

That’s the state of Youtube - you could have said four years ago. Now it’s all in the reaction to the reaction meta analysis … :sweat_smile:

I really didn’t want to make that video…

I’m not a fan of reaction videos…

Yes yes, but hype…:rofl:

:clown_face:

2 Likes

The Linux Experiment did not do it, only teased some notes about possible video after the challenge end.

I found this document which would be perfect for Linus and Luke (just in case anyone of you want to pass it their way) from How to Geek.

I hope brother @ricklinux will not take offense that they used Gnome :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

At first I didn’t care about this guy, now I’m just annoyed by him. I’ve watched a few reaction videos (because in the past couple of weeks it seems you can’t even go out to buy eggs without seeing someone reacting to this idi  person), and he seems to be utterly clueless – certainly not someone who should be taken seriously regarding any topic, but especially when it comes to “tech tips”.

If you’re a newbie, do yourself a favour and stop getting your “tech tips” from professional ignoramuses.

3 Likes

While everyone is bashing Linus as an idiot, there has been lot of good stuff coming from his Linux series challenge.

Many distros have fixed big flaws in their tools (like debian & popOS fixing apt package manager), KDE is improving their DE

Drews post hits the point totally: https://drewdevault.com/2021/12/05/What-desktop-Linux-needs.html

3 Likes

It’s a shame Pop OS! gave a bad first impression, because it’s the perfect distro for someone like Linus to start with.

2 Likes

You are right, but 99% of the Things he had problems with, could be avoided, if he had read the manuals. Wiki, Manpages, Documentations and so on exist exact for that reason.

And there is no difference in Windows.

The “i try it like in Windows way” interfere a much.

3 Likes

Well how would you think a “general” all-time-windows user would have tried these things?

Yes there are all the “manuals” etc but honestly a user switching from Windows kind of expects that something like archiving etc would work pretty much the same. And yes it doesn’t and maybe in most of the cases shouldn’t.

Linux is really capable but it has a long long way to go to become user friendly and “noob friendly”.

1 Like

Ok, i think it comes down what mentality a men have. Because for me example, if i buy a new car and i dont know how to start the radio or navigation, i didnt push thousand buttons until somehow it works. i grab the manual and read how to use it. Somebody maybe tries so long until it works (or drives into a tree :smiley: )

Cant make a judgement here. I installed Ubuntu for my Parents for example (because i was sick of repairing windows every month). And since then i didnt get any complains or questions. But they only surf the web and read emails.

I’m that guy. I press all buttons and press them hard until something happens :slight_smile: First thing I do is to toss aside the manual :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LTT is not really about tips now, it’s more about unusual projects like 7 gamers 1 cpu, room watercooling, using a gpu 1000ft away, properly making a gold xbox controller, trying exotic hw etc.
They have some normal reviews, but usually not from Linus (or at least not written by him).
Also they have Anthony, who is a Linux user and sometimes participates in normal videos about Linux (showing that it is not scary to install etc.)

That’s the goal of this series, to start the discussion.

btw another positive thing:
LTT Are Planning to Include Linux Compatibility in Future Hardware Reviews - /r/linux_gaming

Ehh Linus doesnt write his content. He has writers to do that

Yes, that’s what I said :thinking:
Or more accurately, it depends. In the end credits they say who was the writer. For the Linux challenge it was Linus.

Linux is extremely “user friendly” and “noob friendly”, much more than any other OS. It’s just not idiot friendly. That’s a feature, not a bug. It is expected of users to invest some effort into understanding it, pushing buttons randomly until something happens is unlikely to yield the desired outcome. Dumbing it down so that more people will use it is not the way to go. In fact, that approach creates only more frustration, both for idiots and non-idiots. There will never be “the year of Linux desktop”, Linux on desktop will never be mainstream, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Here is a quote from another Linus:

6 Likes

It’s good to see that most of the linux community and developers dsagree with you and want to make the experience better, even on the desktop.

1 Like

Feels like so many of the Linux users are stuck on the 80’s.

Do you know why/how Apple’s OSX/macOS became so popular? Because it was easy to use, even without using manuals. And the UI was great compared to Windows or Linux. Apple spent a huge amount of effort (and money) on user experience research to make it happen. And they are still doing it.

Linux is getting a lot better, we are moving towards the right direction. 80’s were great, but it’s time to move forwards.

2 Likes