Share Your Desktop

Trying Voyager 11 Debian Bullseye LTS
just for fun
debian is fast and solid but gnome takes a little too much ram

Screenshot from 2021-08-24 17-05-49

Release 24 August 2021
https://voyagerlive.org/

2 Likes

@archlinux That’s a lot of RAM. Are there many things being loaded on Login?

@wordler

I bet its that Firefox running. These days doesn’t matter how light a desktop is. Soon as you load up a browser with few tabs it sucks everything up compared to what an OS uses.

i have gnome terminal and nautilus and firefox
but is in usb live iso
but firefox I have only open one tab to endeavouros forum site

Yep Firefox, I didn’t spot that. As @QAP mentioned loading up a browser eats up some RAM. It doesn’t really matter which browser. But as long as you have enough RAM it doesn’t really matter. So: Voyager without a browser?

i have the same open firefox (endeavouros forum site) terminal and thunar i dwm but only use 933mb ram
so gnome take lot of ram

2021-08-24_20-15

Gnome is RAM heavy for sure.

JetBrainsMono Nerd Font wtf? :rofl:

1 Like

finished setting up my i3wm bspwm dwm with onedark theme

screenshot-49-1920x1080

Screenshot-2021-08-24_21:00:31

2021-08-24-210151_1920x1080_scrot

i will stay with this theme :crazy_face:

7 Likes

i have tried many font for terminal for icons
and I thought it was the best font I could find :upside_down_face:

2021-08-24_21-26

It looks good. The best I have found is Liberation Mono. Do you have a link for this one? I’m not bothered about icons, just a good looking font. I used to work in the printing industry so fonts are a bit of an obsession for me. I have over 1400 fonts on many of my installs (!).

I am also interested in how to enable icons in a terminal. I haven’t seen that before. I’m not sure it’s necessary but it’s very interesting. Or is that just a file manager in dwm?

ranger file manager

in terminal i use lsd
2021-08-24_22-40

i found nerd font on

terminal i use are st or alacritty

1 Like

Ah ranger, yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up about Nerd Fonts. Terminals are very much down to personal preferences and what works well in a DE or WM I suppose. Ranger is very nice as is mc. I haven’t tried st or alacritty. There is always new stuff to try out and learn! :grin:

you welcome
but why i use icons in terminal e.g
2021-08-24_23-04
and for ranger file manager

i dont like to use lsd becomes too much :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah just looked up lsd, seems too much. K.I.S.S. :laughing:

Back to Plasma, and trying to get it running more smoothly with Nvidia. Seems ok for now, still a few choppy animations here and there, but switching to xRender rather than OpenGL in the Compositor helps a lot.

Left my 2nd monitor out of the shot, as it’s not really got anything other than an empty desktop with no panels on it at all atm.

Screenshot_2021-08-25_09-04-59

9 Likes

eos new WP (I think). There was an update today. To whoever created this please say thank you and nice work for me.

7 Likes

This is true even for me - and I’m all intel.

I wish I could stand Plasma, it looks so good…

1 Like

you only like ugly desktops? :smiley:

1 Like