Seagate drive format disaster, need help

Well hopefully it will get replaced under warranty. It’s not the first hard ever to to go south! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Had something similar happen to me once on a (much smaller) USB drive. I was only able to resize the drive using “HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool”.

if drive is not defective an issue like that would be solved by erasing the partition entries on the beginning of the drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX bs=446 count=1
1 Like

Too late for test, he already did RMA, but maybe if somebody else will find this later it will be helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

exactly that was my intention :wink:
and much more faster then using d dto zero all the 10TB

And what is wrong with SOUTH, huh? :grin:

3 Likes

Everything upside-down?
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

South of the equator? Nothing! Best place on earth. :grin:

1 Like

Wouldn’t creating a new partition table (e.g. in gparted) do the same thing?

I had a similar problem with a 2tb drive no everything was destroyed so the partition table can not be made as the data on the 1st sector is no more its erased. I think one of the nuke programs explains it, That is why the drive only shows 500Gb the rest is destroyed so the 1st sect starts at 500gb the rest is invisible nuked.

2 Likes

it is writing backups hashes of all partitioning, what is useful in case of rescue … but if there is written something wrong caused by a crash or abortion it could be bad to only add a new table or it can fail doing that.

1 Like