Seagate drive format disaster, need help

Not in smartctl database, i’ve advised to try it already…
It’s just missing from their usb db :confused:

Who knows…Who knows :rofl:

Counterfeit? Bait and switch?

2 Likes

btw…actually when thinking about it i’ve heard about “extremely chinese” noname dirves, who reports for example 2 Tb, but actually like 3 times lower so when you write something or try to format it - it fails miserably…

Maybe it was very-fake Seagate

I’ll ask him to verify serial number, actually that’s good idea

2 Likes

… did you say it’s a Seegate drive :wink:

3 Likes

Still could be good for something like that :upside_down_face:

Seagate…belongs at the bottom of the sea…
anyway, enough of my opinions, here’s a fact: When I was building PCs with Seagate drives as standard, I often had to use their Seagate Tools. You will find the current generation of software to diganose their drive issues here:

Edit: obviously they are using a GeoLocation CDN because I was not getting that link ffrom Germany! So look for Seatools in DDG or so.

4 Likes

Yeah my opinion / experience is the same :upside_down_face:

So…In SeaTools what would you recommend?
I imagine FixAll probably would take 10 days

Just the USB bootable, so it can diagnose for you, and you can provide the report for their Help(less) Desk. God speed.

1 Like

As a last resort, you can dban it?
pudge

1 Like

A 500GB Samsung SSD reports as having about 465GB available space, so it does seem to suggest that this might actually be a 500GB SSD. There definitely are fakes out there.

You have nuked it it now belongs to the bin, you cannot stop a full format part way through. their are warnings about that if users read them "once this action is started it can not be stopped as it will destroy the drive Oops
The 460 is what it formated

Surely it’s formatting the partition though, and re-creating the partition table should reset that back to a “blank slate”?

2 Likes

Get yourself this setup
Older motherboard with the possibility of choosing IDE or SATA. i’ll explain later.
Create a bootable medium with Parted Magic or Hiren’s Boot . Both contain MHDD a very low level hdd utility able to set up/modify some firmware paramenters.

• BEWARE* MHDD is a very powerfull tool, I will NOT be responsable for any result of wrong use of this software. The following is just a as-is guide.
    Connect the 10 TB HDD on the motherboard with a solid S-ATA cable. USB WILL NOT work, as USB is emulating protocol/interface so it will fail.
    Boot the computer with the bootable MHDD medium, start and choose MHDD.
    It will ask you what interface is where the drive is connected. If you don’t see it listed, change the SATA port and play with IDE or SATA in motherboard’s BIOS. Now you understand WHY i mentioned this.
    Once the MHD sees the disk, press the number of that port (0 to number of existent SATA ports).
    Now, to be sure, press F1 and a list of commands with a short explanation will be displayed.
    Now there is one command that restores the original size, cylinders and all settings as the manufacturer intended, Those are stored in the system area, the first block from the outer egde of the spinning platter.
    Now, IF the disk was seen and detected, firmaware was read and hiddend settings aswell.
    Save, reboot and create a new GPT partition table.

In the worst case scenario, there is another command that cuts and one that uncuts the hard disk size. Let’ say that the disk "thinks " it was cut to the actual wrong size, just increase the size to the original one with uncut command, or “cut” it to the original size Save and exit.
Hope that helps you. Good luck.

6 Likes

I used MHDD for “cutting” to size older IDE HDD for setting up and backing up some old plotters, tipography machinery and irigation system who were running MS-DOS 6 and the IDE HDD needed to be around 30 GB…
So I deat with this a lot, the ideal HDD was the old Seagate 120 GB. MHDD played with that firmaware very well.
So, good luck and keep us updated.

2 Likes

From the Seagate site.

Or use Seagates Sea Tools

3 Likes

@keybreak
I responded in a hurry and was tired .
I failed to see that the drive is a external USB one.
Well, that’s the problem.
You see we simply forget that USB sucks. A lot.
When dealing with data recovery, or anything related to this field and hard drives, 50% of the problems are fixed using a direct connection disk drive to motherboard SATA cable.
USB is ubiquitous and “works” but things are a lot more complicated that that.
So, if you are willing to “shuck” the hard disk outta the USB enclosure, you’ll solve this easy peasy.
If not, well, go to https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
and try this tool.
If nothing else solves the issue, RMA.
Good luck!

1 Like

Serial number says it’s legit Seagate.

@mandog
Well yeah, obviously bad idea on his part, but i agree with @jonathon that re-creating table should still reset that.

@ricklinux
Tested both already - no luck :woozy_face:

@Anticupidon
I’ve used MHDD as well, back in my days, here it won’t help really since it still sees only 460 Gb :upside_down_face:

Tested Low level format tool, it also sees just 460 Gb so no point in proceed really…Also it doesn’t read drive info / SMART.

USB maybe sucks (i love it for what it’s made for though :laughing: ), but still it shouldn’t behave like that…Drive is not good obviously.

Thx for all the suggestions and help guys, i think the only sane option for him would be to RMA, he’ll do that today :slight_smile:

This is how Windows and Thunar calculate disk sizes. 500GB will be around 465GB, 1TB around 930GB and so on.

1 Like

Yep, the old GB vs GiB thing.

3 Likes