Running MacOS Apps in Linux endeavouros

Few useful tips from a long time Mac user and Linux enthusiast, taking the endeavouros voyage here.

If you want to run MacOS (and iOS apps under Linux you can) try DARLING HQ

Apple offers some of their basic OS software to be downloaded for free https://opensource.apple.com/

darling name comes from Darwin (MacOS is based on DarwinOS) and Linux.
It is similar to anbox, run andorid apps on linux or wine, run windows apps in linux.

I have tried it on endeavouros, best advice is to run LTS kernels: 4.14 or 4.19 and only kernel 5.4 from 5+ kernel only if you have AMD. I managed to install many basic apps that I run on Mac OS.

I still stick with MacOS for my business and windows for games, but lately Linux with steam and especially endeavouros gives me a reason to play around more and more with Linux everyday.

post-edit: I am running endeavouros on a Mac Hardware with the MacOS removed completely, some hardware that is not compatible with MacOS may not support running DARLING, just an FYI.

6 Likes

Can you use Xcode with this method?
I’m running MacOS in a VM to get Xcode to run.

2 Likes

Same question for Photoshop CC (although i run it in Wine, just curious :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: :enos:

3 Likes

This is very interesting. Do you (or does anyone) know if ProTools could be used on a computer running EndeavourOS?

I’m asking this because my son is an audio professional who works with ProTools and I’m just curious to know if he could use it on a Linux computer. (When I personally manipulate sound files, I use Audacity.)

Thanks for any information.

Lawrence

2 Likes

Have you heard of a package named jack? It’s a linux package that fits that bill.

2 Likes

Not really, he needs DAW, which is ProTools and main goal is compatibility i assume (since a lot of people in a field use it), it’s just popular…

But for personal use closest would be REAPER for Linux.

3 Likes

well apologies for the delayed response weekend time was offline playing games with my team.

well as I said I am a software engineer and my business has to do with apps and ict services for airspace, drones, satellite tech, we use MacOS and almost all of the apps are build by us with us and most of them are private non gov apps, don’t fell comfortable due to privacy and corporate policy to disclose more information about it on a forum, to protect my business and this community as well.

Have in mind I am using 1 year old MacBookPro without the MacOS for eOS, even certain “hackintosh” = MacOS on non mac hardware, setups work but not all of the apps work.

post-edit: I am back at work on sunday if I got time will try the apps if they work will write back.
if the LIST idea is not possible send my message title: MacOS App Test, and just name of app and link.

1 Like

Thanks. This question was just for my personal information. I know my son - he’ll stick with his Mac and ProTools. After all, that’s the program he uses to make his living!

Lawrence

2 Likes

List of tested apps on endeavouros DARLING Run MacOS Apps in Linux

• 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory OFF; Intel® UHD Graphics 630 ON
  • 1TB SSD storage

*)

*)

*)

Comment: will test then out tomorrow when I get back at work and write if it works or not above.

2 Likes

jack is Linux native, don’t test it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I assume you replied to the message above talking about audio tools or some other mac app.

Is Jack same as Darling, lets you run MacOS apps on Linux? if so please provide a link.

1 Like

No, you can ignore it, it was just little misunderstanding. :slight_smile:

For clarification:
@BONK offered jack by mistake to replace ProTools (DAW) on Linux, but jack is an audio server, used for pro-audio needs / audiophiles on Linux. It’s just different things :wink:

2 Likes

No Problem thanks for the input anyways.

1 Like

I run a i5 haswel with Catilina It not a case of things don’t work its a case of setting mac correctly with the clover configuration and a few non apple apps, choosing a compatible vid card some work really well with apples config others are really bad, sound drivers can be configured with a 3rd party app as can the non apple mouse,

1 Like

when I tried hackintosh many years back one day it all works and after an upgrade I need to spend 5-10 h debugging and re configuring and reading forum posts and trying them out. I can confirm based on experience that gpu makes a difference, with only Intel uhd all works with AMD on even on MacOS on my work PC sometimes has problems with some apps, that is the reason I stick only with intel gpu.

for my business and work related projects I stricky use MacOS and after 25 years probably always will.
as I said before as Linux enthusiast endeavouros is my passion project and I enjoy my journey / voyage.

I have run mine for more than 4 years seen many updates and upgrades its been fault free, I even use a Nvidia GPU as i wrote earlier not all work so you have to stick with the one that do,
AS i also forgot to say you have to set hackintosh up correctly in the 1st place clover takes care of setting up and now you can even use a AMD CPU a lot of work has gone into clover over the years,

1 Like

you are probably right since I am just a Linux enthusiast and not an everyday Linux pro user.

I use MacOS on Mac Hardware and never had problem in the past 25 years, I played with hackingtosh very shortly less then one week maybe one month. I believe this converstaion is out of the scope of this post, we can continue to talk if you like via message, but the scope of the post is another topic.

never used ADM cpu so I cannot say if it is true or not, I even switch off my AMD graphics on my mac.

I need MacOS and Mac Hardware for my business and I don’t risk with experimenting on the topic.

I was just giving a comparison and explaining that i use Linux + DARLING ability to run MacOS apps on Linux, but my test PC is MacBook Pro, just FYI for anyone interested in what I am testing.

List of tested apps on endeavouros DARLING Run MacOS Apps in Linux

• 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory OFF; Intel® UHD Graphics 630 ON
  • 1TB SSD storage

*) XCode worked the best from all tested apps, due to my work related experience I tested it really good.
The version I was using was XCode 11.6 (11E708) from 2020/07/15 and 12.0 beta 4 from 2020/08/04 including the new Swift version 5.2.5 from 2020/08/05 I have not tried the Swift preview version 5.3
Have in mind I tested in using intel hardware. cpu intel and the same graphical card UHD from intel.

*) I tried a trail version without registering it to adobe, kernel 5.4 did not work only 4.14 and 4.19 latest 4.0 Kernels of LTS. The application works from what I can see but I have zero experience how to use it and did not have any test file, so it seems to work, but I cannot confirm it the app is 100% functional.
for XCode tried kernel 4.4 4.9 4.14 4.19 5.4 all LTS, even worked with 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 kernels result in core.dump based on the log at least.

*) The applications start only with kernel 5.4 but if I try to load a test file it crashes, I would not recommend using it. I downloaded the demo version maybe the full version works better.
The 4.0 kernel result in core.dump at least according to the core.dump file log.

2 Likes

Hey, many thanks, I appreciate

1 Like