Problem on shutdown - Need to force it

Hi there,

I would be very grateful for any help if possible.

I open a thread, some time ago,, about this same issue.

It is happening from times to times, and I really don’t know what causes this.

Sometimes the system does not shutdown when I ask for it. The system goes to a black screen but it’s not shutdown. I have to force it, so, pressing the power button for some seconds.

I’m running EOS + GNOME.

Any idea about how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

CPU: quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1306/800/3800 MHz Kernel: 6.4.11-arch2-1 x86_64 Up: 39m
Mem: 5.26/15.51 GiB (33.9%) Storage: 2.24 TiB (39.7% used) Procs: 304
Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.29

Can you share the output of cat /proc/cmdline

Thank you very much for your answer.

Sure, here it goes:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=e9a6d19a-330a-4d93-822e-6eb6c4a40376 rw nowatchdog nvme_load=YES nvidia-drm.modeset=1 loglevel=3

Does it go through the whole shutdown process and just fail to power off or does it go immediately to the black screen?

So, I can see all that data passing by, regarding umounting drives, etc (over a black screen - similar to what happens when we start EOS).

After that, just a black screen and the machine is not powered down.

Have you checked to see if there are any BIOS updates for your device?

Hum, I did not. Maybe some related problem, so?

It sounds to me like the device is completing the shutdown process but not actually powering down when it is done. Since it happens inconsistently, I would first check for BIOS updates and then check the power settings in the BIOS.

Ok, I’ll do that.

Thank you very much. :wink:

I also had/have the problem that my system sits with a black screen while shutting down. I can reproduce it when having the Battle.Net App open while shutting down or closing it just seconds before shutting down which means that some of its process seems to hang when it is closed.

How long do you give your system in that state? Because mine always powers off like it should after about 2 or 3 minutes which feels like ages compared to the almost instant power off in a normal shutdown.

That’s interesting. Firstly I thought it was caused by Steam. But even closing Steam client before the shutdown don’t make any effect.

Well, I have awaited for around 4 - 5 minutes, mostly.

I’ve had a similar problem historically, it was due to making a change in the BIOS, I think it was related to ErP? Try enabling/disabling ErP in your BIOS and that should hopefully resolve it. Beyond that, a BIOS reset to defaults gives you a baseline to work with.

This is strange. I could not find any ErP option there.