Post-installation steps

Hello,

is there a “guide” for useful tools or the like that you should consider after installation?
Something like timeshift for snapshots.

I am not sure if there is guide but there is a whole topic on it.

4 Likes

There’s also this to look at. Only use options you know what you’re doing with, fyi:

3 Likes

After installing your operating system, you start to use it. That’s it. No further steps necessary.

If you don’t like something, change it. If you like it, leave it be.

All these “69 things to do after installing such and such” guides are beyond stupid. You shouldn’t follow any such nonsense.

3 Likes

I was more interested in useful enhancements that improve the system.

timeshift with timeshift-autosnap would be one such suggestion. To reset update errors.

@dalto @Scotty_Trees thanks for the links

1 Like

This would assume that installing Timeshift is an actual improvement. To some people it may be, to some it isn’t. Timeshift snapshots consume a lot of disk space (on most filesystems), so where storage is scarce, it may be better not to have Timeshift running.

Also, these “update errors”, as you call them, are exceptionally rare, and often they can be fixed in shorter time than it takes to restore a Timeshift snapshot. I’ve never had a situation where Timeshift was necessary to recover from a bad update. The closest I was to that was using legacy Nvidya drivers from the AUR which were orphaned at some point.

That said, Timeshift can be very useful if you are a newbie who likes to tinker with his system, as it will give you more confidence to do stuff that are likely to cause breakages, which can be a good learning experience.

Timeshift is merely an application like any other. Just like “install Inkscape” would be stupid advice as “a post-installation step”, the same is true for Timeshift. You install programs that you intend to use, that should go without saying. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As @Kresimir alluded to, any such list would be highly subjective and heatedly debated. Even your example is one where some people swear by timeshift and others(like me) would never want it on their system. For me, it isn’t “useful” at all.

The great thing about EOS is that it installs a usable systems that you can choose to expand or customize however you would like. If you want inspiration, topics like the one I linked above or this one may give you some ideas but neither of those nor any list you find on the internet should be treated as gospel.

Only you can decide what is best for your system and how you use it.

5 Likes

Yes that there is no universal solution, it should really be more of an inspiration.