What are standard things you do after a fresh Linux install?

We all have our own things we like to install on a fresh Linux install. Some want to install fan control, some people want to switch from bash to zsh, other people will customize there system completely.

My System
Device: Clevo NH55RGQ
RAM: 32 GB
Processor: i7-9750H
Storage: 2 TB NVME SSD Samsung 970
Operating system: EndeavourOS KDE or Arch KDE with EndeavourOS repo

Programs I install at first

• Intel-undervolt: My laptop can run sometimes hotter. So I use this so that I can undervolt my laptop a bit.
  • Tuxedo-control-center, Tuxedo-keyboard, Tuxedo-cc-wmi: I have a Clevo laptop and at a fresh boot the fan control is a bit bad. Sometimes it runs at full speed even when it is only 35 degrees. Because Tuxedo laptops are mostly Clevo, I just this.
  • Tuxedo-backlight-control: I can set the color of my keyboard with this program.
  • Docker: I run my own media system and I prefer docker to do this. With Watchtower enabled my containers get automatically updated.
  • Discord/Telegram: I use Discord for multiple servers and Telegram to talk with EndeavourOS people.
  • Tela-Circle-Icon-Theme: My favorite Icon theme.
  • Chromium & Libva-intel-driver: Chromium, because that is my browser of choice and libva-intel-driver so that I can watch videos on Chromium hardware accelerated (VAAPI)

Other things I do

• I setup my aliases. I made a alias update which is running a script. It first does a simply yay ( I know, updating with pacman -Syu is safer ) and then does a flatpak update.
  • I install Flatpak and Snap. I only use Snap for Subsync, which is by far the best subtitle sycnhronizer I have ever seen.
  • I only change my icon theme to Tela-Circle-Blue-Dark and KDE theme to Breeze Theme Dark.
  • I install the ‘enhanced-h264ify’ chrome extension so that it blocks the vp8, vp9, av1 and 60 fps videos from Youtube which works better for Youtube.

Would love to know what you guys do on a fresh Linux install, so that we find more ways to use Linux :smiley:

3 Likes

I am currently using the GNOME edition of EOS. The first thing I do after a new installation:
Installation of the last LTS kernel as fallback
Modification of pulseaudio( /etc/pulse/daemon.conf)
Editing the /etc/fstab
Libre Office
Uninstalling gnome-music
Dash to Dock Extension

After that I think about whether I should not even try the KDE edition …

3 Likes

I always have the same. It is either KDE or GNOME for me.

2 Likes

It highly depends on what distro I’m installing, but omitting inxi, yay, microcode and everything else I would install after a pure Arch install (that comes preinstalled on EOS) it would be:

teatime (crucial on any setup)
lts
lts-headers
libreoffice and the langpacs I use
late dock
mega-sync
Vivaldi
Spotify
simply cicles icons
signal
KDE-Connect (on my phone, that is)
vlc
Gimp
ClamTK
Gufw Firewall (or setting up IP tables depending on the use/user)
LBRY

…and probably a few that I’ve forgotten.

Oh, and all on KDE Plasma.

5 Likes

No matter the OS the below is standard for me:

OS install
Check via terminal for any further updates
Tweak Plasma
Download and install addons for Dolphin and other KDE apps
Fix my mount points
Theme Plasma
Install my flatpaks
Install the rest of my software using yay
check for updates using topgrade

1 Like

I always have a beer, or a glass of wine, after every Linux install.

I also have one before every install.

And one during the install. Sometimes 2. :wink:

(Not recommended for inexperienced drinkers)

28 Likes

Given an installation takes around 10-15 minutes, that’s a dazzling record :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

How about some more after installation, just to properly celebrate?! :laughing:
Probably during first system update too…

P.S. I feel i know why you couldn’t get to install Linux from scratch :rofl:

3 Likes

Really, that’s all covered under my “if I drink constantly, I never get a hangover” policy.

I fear that there’s not enough alcohol in the world to get me through a LFS installation. But, as I’ve been saying for years, one of these days, I’m going to give it a try.

One of these days…

9 Likes

Actually seen a guy drink so much he woke up in his chair upside down. I never tried it, but it did look like a lot of fun. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

yes nothing else to do after a fresh install here too, setup is automated for me…

6 Likes

what exactly? :slight_smile:

I have a swap partition and a backup HDD, which I mount via fstab. But the backup HDD should not be mounted automatically at system startup.

3 Likes

For us mortals hangover is bad enough. But just imagine a hangover combined with a finding that I installed arch yeasterday… that is a completely new level. :rofl:

4 Likes

Or worse, you starting install Arch and in the morning see Windows 10 :cold_face: :rofl:

9 Likes

Or you finally figure out how to solve a problem and wake up not remembering how you did it and spend the rest of the morning up arrowing through the terminal trying to figure it out by following the bread crumbs…not saying i have ever done this… :joy:

12 Likes

First thing I do is make duckduckgo.com my default home page in my browser (FireFox)

3 Likes

You and me both. The last time I did this, I ended up with GNOME. That was worse than the hangover.

But seriously, since I just reinstalled:

linux-lts
linux-lts-headers
update-grub
android-messages-desktop
ungoogled-chromium (chaotic-aur)
spotify
simplenote
joplin
gimp
libreoffice
onlyoffice
bluetooth
popsicle
timeshift
korla-icon-themes

and that’s basically it. It’s just time to compute.

4 Likes

The first thing I do after a fresh standard Arch install is reboot back into the install media and arch-chroot, because I inevitably forget to install something needed to make my wireless connection work.

6 Likes

I smile … that the 1st thing :innocent:

4 Likes