Plasma is Great

6 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Gwenview now has an option to not auto-play videos in browse mode

So…I didn’t even know gwenview could play videos. That being said, I glad you can turn off auto-playing them because that seems annoying.

On Wayland, KWin now supports the “iGPU multi-monitor” feature and therefore allows you to simultaneously drive multiple monitors from both a dedicated and internal Intel GPU! (Xaver Hugl, Plasma 5.21)

More wayland new features. I might try switching again once 5.20 comes out to see if it works for me

KRunner now has an optional “keep open” feature which causes it to stay open when focus is lost, just like how the System Tray and Clock popups can (Alexander Lohnau, Plasma 5.21):

That is a great addition for me.

1 Like

Yupp. It’s one of the elected kde goals and there is steady progress.

2 Likes

I just installed Wayland and am logged in under Wayland. What are the major benefits over xorg?

I’m looking forward to improved security.Here’s a good writeup:

1 Like
4 Likes

Blurred and partially transparent Breeze theme menus are no longer sometimes affected by a weird graphical glitch that causes the background to look ugly (Andreas Haratzis, Plasma 5.20.1)

GOD exist! :laughing:

2 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes

The Plasma Wayland session no longer requires that you manually set an environment variable to make NVIDIA GPUs using the proprietary driver function properly. If this sounds like a big deal, it is! (Vlad Zahorodnii and Xaver Hugl, Plasma 5.20.2)

Finally :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Dolphin’s Places Panel now shows inline free space indicators for mounted disks in the Places Panel (Chris Holland, Dolphin 20.12):

So…God exists! :joy:
Maybe soon they’ll reinvent Computer:/ :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Unfortunately my Plasma broke and I am back to XFCE . I always had a bad luck with Plasma on all three distros I tried . It’s so sad to leave Plasma when it’s getting better . But I will try Plasma again when I get a new machine :wink:

What are you doing with your Plasma to break it?

I have a laptop from 2013 that runs Plasma flawlessly (on 5 GB RAM).

3 Likes

I didn’t do anything :cry:
When installing for the first time Plasma works great . Then it will show some troubles with Firefox and then occasional freezes and then Plasma goes crazy :woozy_face:
This is what happened with all three distros I tried .

Anyway I am not abandoning Plasma .

For now I will stick with XFCE :grin:

yeah, yeah…that’s what they all say… :innocent:

Nevermind. Welcome back to Endeavour and use the DE you like and what works for you.

2 Likes

Was this on older or newer hardware?