Plasma is Great

Yeah, baby!

:grin:

Though Plasma is great in totality, I reserve the right to rename this thread Regression City after the 5.19 release. Not so great in isolation.

KDE Release Schedule.

https://community.kde.org/Schedules

KDE Announcements for all releases, with all changelogs.

https://kde.org/announcements/

No need to pepper the thread with identical links whenever a new release lands.

Just a discussion thread for all things KDE ā€¦ no flame wars please, no Us vs Them rubbish ā€¦ all DEs deserve to be loved.

KDE Apps 20.08 due for release on Aug 13th, some big KdenLive changes coming.

8 Likes

Now that I just FINALLY figured out how to set a new shortcut for konsole, Iā€™m much happier. . . Although I still canā€™t figure out how to set a new shortcut to switch to the next desktop. I enter it, and it wonā€™t let me apply. But dammit, I WILL figure it out, or the bug will be fixed.

No matter how many times I deviate from KDE. Like a bug to the light, I always keep coming back.

4 Likes

Iā€™m using yakuake as a terminal

3 Likes

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but I assume you are looking under System Settings->Shortcuts->Global Shortcuts->kwin->Search: desktop. Now you have choices. In my setup, I modify Switch to Next Desktop and Switch to Previous Desktop to Meta+Ctrl+{Right/Left} by clicking the ā€œVā€ dropdown, clicking on the top button, and applying the keys I want to use.

Does this help any? Youā€™ve probably already tried this, but ā€¦

Edit: note kwin selection, above

I never liked yakuake, but since I do the window tiling, I really prefer konsole. If you want to short cut it, you donā€™t do it under applications anymore. It took me like 2 weeks to figure that out, and this morning the heavens rejoiced and I now have konsole again.

Yes. When I add custom shortcut for switch one desktop left/right, it will accept it, BUT apply wonā€™t be available for whatever reason, so I canā€™t save it. I believe itā€™s a known bug currently.

1 Like

2020-08-next-dt

I can change this, there doesnā€™t seem to be a bug saving the shortcut.

Interesting. I tried some other combinations. Maybe itā€™s just my choice. . I used to use ctrl+tab for next and ctrl+shift+tab for previous. Those wont save, but if I pick a random combo, it does. Maybe Itā€™s already used somewhere. It also wouldnā€™t let me use meta+tab and meta+shift+tab for some reason. But ctrl+shift+n is possible. . . Hmm. Iā€™ll look more into it

For the meantime Iā€™m using meta+space and shift+meta+space for next/previous. It actually works great and Iā€™ll probably just keep this. You guys are all incredible. Thereā€™s just too many options with KDE.

Donā€™t forget that there are similar options for Switch to Desktop Above/ Below, in case you use a stacked desktop layout, e.g., 2x2, 3x3, etc. I use Meta+Ctrl+{right, left, up, down arrows} to navigate my 3x3 layout. Works great and doesnā€™t conflict with any keybindings in the rest of Plasma or in LibreOffice (where I do most of my work).

Good luck!

Barry (but not otherbarry :wink:)

10 Likes

Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Back to Plasma :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

I took a break and went to XFCE for a while , now back to Plasma

I only use Yakuake :grin:

2 Likes

I like yakuake! too! :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I know theoretically, thereā€™s no wrong way to use Linux, but you may be the exception to that.

1 Like

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like
6 Likes

Improved the speed and performance of generating thumbnail previews for files and folders (Stefan BrĆ¼ns, Dolphin 20.12)

Thatā€™s cool, iā€™ve noticed it was pretty damn slow compared to something like Deepin file manager or Gnomeā€¦ :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

And Thunar ( Really fast )

1 Like

Did anyone notice any difference in thumbanil generation speeds :question: :question:

Look in the brackets ā€¦ wonā€™t be released until next KDE Apps version (20.12,
December).

2 Likes
7 Likes