Partitioning scheme

i would want to ask again about partitioning scheme that is for modern linux.
my ram is 16mb. not gonna encrypt my partition. but might consider using a non mechanical hdd in the close future (need to consider a partition to reduce the wear and tear of electronic hdd ?)
i would like to have swap in file for ease of adjustment ,instead of in swap partition (that i used to do)
now. can someone give me the best argument of the order and size allocation for each partition that i need to create to make this new linux installation best.

here is what i think. pls correct me if i missed out. i am using old legacy, not EFI.

/boot fat32 250mb (is it recommended that "/boot " is good enough to reside in /root partition >?)
/swap … linux-swap (not going to have it, going to have it in file type residing in /home ?? i dont’ remember how to do this part. ) 24 x 1024MB, i have 16gig ram (RHLE recommend 1.5 times of ram).
/ ext4
1024MB (i have space for it, i saw arguement of new RHLE is suggesting 1gig for it … i know the argument. since i have the space i can spare it for the sake of no future insufficient space issue.
/home
this will be the remaining of the space.

1. should i have a shared space in case in the future i want to share some files with windows partition which is in another hdd ?

If you are using legacy/mbr, you don’t need a seperate /boot. You can let it reside in the / parition. If you want a seperate /boot for security purposes, I don’t think there is a reason to make it fat32. Just use ext4.

If you would prefer to use a swapfile, you can, but I wouldn’t put it in /home. Place it somewhere off of root.

If you want hibernation support, go with 1x RAM or a bit more. If not, I would do 4GB or 8GB at the most. 24GB of swap space is probably too much. For most desktop workloads, that will do more harm than good.

It needs to be much bigger than that for a desktop. I would say at minimum 20GB, 40GB if you have the free space. It depends how much software you are planning to install.

Don’t forget to add the space for your swapfile on top of that.

That is up to you. It depends how you want to manage your data.

2 Likes

/boot (256MB) will be in /root partition , and /root will be in format : ext4

• i thought /boot have to be in fat32 unencrypted for Legacy bios to work ?

swap (24 GB) will be file located in /root partition
/root partition will be 1 GB and ext4
swap file will be 18 GB,
that makes whole “/root” partition 19 GB in size + 256MB for /boot

/home partition will not have swap in it. the remaining size, ext4.

i saw some ppl have a partition for /tmp and /cache (firefox) and /var on mechanical hdd to prevent wear and tear of electronic hdd ?

I don’t think so. The EFI partition has to be fat32 but you are not using efi.

To be clear, are we talking about the root partition (/) or the the /root partition (/root)? You don’t need a separate /root partition but you do need a / partition. If you make the / partition as small as you are suggesting, you probably won’t make it through the install. You certainly won’t be able to install the software needed for a desktop.

For a point of reference, my / partition has about ~40GB of space used and I don’t have a swap file.

Don’t do that. That will only make your PC slow.

these will be 2 partitions available:
sda1 / ext4 80 GB note: admin partition
sda2 /home “remaining space” Note: user partition
/boot (1GB) will be in sda1
swap file (18GB) will be in sda1 (do you think it is good idea ? )

can you give me your recommendation for the sake of every benefit and upgrade in the future ? ?

If you are using MBR, prefer a separate /home and want an 18GB swap file then I would make 2 partitions:

• / - ext4 - 60GB
  • /home - ext4 - Remainder of drive

and swap and /boot gonna be nested in side / folder ?

Everything that isn’t /home will be in your / directory. Including your swapfile and /boot

16MB of RAM! How old is your computer?

3 Likes

How accurate is his typos rather :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

16Gb… did i said 16Mb >? lol must be sleepy… u know i only have time to mess with computer late into morning… i tried not to do so, will ruin my health… but once a … or rather a few time a month… lol

can’t blame me for typing nonsense when my brain is half shut down. lol

1 Like

ok, now that i have the system installed, can someone tell me how to post what command and result to show you guys so that there will be no regret building upward from here… i hate to redo installation after i have got other software installed…

also why is there no search program by default in a lot of linux os ? i got a many year old ext hdd that got lot of junks in it… i gave up on organizing it… hence i rely on search to get what i seldom use in it.

There are many search utilities on LInux.

The one that is always available is find from the GNU coreutils (and it’s the best search utility in my opinion). It is installed on every GNU/Linux system by default.

There are millions of guides on how to use it on the web:

This one is well written, in my opinion: https://opensource.com/article/18/4/how-use-find-linux (though it contains a couple of mistakes)

does these “find” able to search for external hdd as well ? for example, i have 2 xternal usb hdd plugged and i want to search for a file, which i don’t know where it is located, either in laptop hdd or in one of the external hdd…

last time i remember it is very hard to do search on all hdd …

Yes, find can search anywhere in your file system where you have the adequate privileges. You just have to provide the path to the starting directory from which to descend.

A downside to using find is that it does not search an indexed database of your files, but searches the storage directly, so it is rather slow. A benefit to using find is that there does not have to exist an index of your files anywhere (which is otherwise a privacy issue), and no indexing service to slow down your system.

I think the EndeavourOS installer goes off of Mb (Megabit) instead of MB (Megabyte), so 24 x 1024 MB would be 65536 Mb.

I could be wrong if EndeavourOS even goes off of Mb versus MB, I’ve used so many different Installers in the past few months that I could be mixing something up here.

pls type a find command that allows me to search
2 external usb hdd and
2 internal hdd and
exclude a certain folder
for a part of file name
in one command ? pls

it would be better if i can exclude 1 usb hdd or add in another usb hdd for the search…
or exclude 2 folder and include or exclude hidden folder… :sweat_smile: do you think that’s possible ? lol if can make one that is good, then i will keep it in my own terminal command note… it would be superb…

@Kresimir @mdoverl
No.1
as the topic of thread:
this is a screenshot of my partition… only 2 partition.
/ file system root looks ok right ? 64GB

No.2
btw, what was that disk tool called ? gnome disk utility ?
i can’t launch it from terminal.
solved: Hystrix told me it is gnome-disks
i typed gnome-disk “tab” but it does now display “gnome-disks” … why ? weird. tab should be able to show what is matching partially… but in this case it does not.

no.3
how to tell where my swap file is created ? and 34

is this the /boot partition which many ppl make it as a dedicated partition ?

i can’t tell at all where is /boot and /home locationed , they all looks the same on thunar.
how can i tell if /boot is located in / partition and /home is located /home partition ? and swap file at what partition…