One of the main developers for yay is stepping away from development to work on his own aur helper

Curious how this will effect EnOS. Also think I’ll try out the new helper.

3 Likes

of ffs…yyyay :woozy_face:
Why not just stick to something already :laughing:

pikaur seems to be a pretty good helper, automatically shows new arch news when it comes up.

Sweet! I have been hoping someone would create another AUR helper.

On a more serious note, he removed on of my favorite features of yay which is the color coded output that quickly shows you version changes. This is unfortunate as it is one of the key features that makes yay great. For those you don’t have it enabled it looks like this:

It lets you easily see what changed and how much. You can quickly differentiate between rebuilds and package upgrades.

yay and paru can both do that as well.

7 Likes

What about aura? :grin:

Obligatory xkcd

13 Likes

Really?? Didn’t realize yay does it, I assume it’s turned off by default because I’ve never gotten a notification.

Yeah :laughing:
And most funny of all - it doesn’t really bring anything new / valuable to the table.

2 Likes

It is off by default.

Try yay --news

1 Like

There’s a lot in there that even escapes a quick read of the man files - here’s a useful piece of the man for yay

SHOW OPTIONS (APPLY TO -P AND --SHOW)
       -c, --complete
              Print a list of all AUR and repo packages. This allows shell completion and is not intended to be used directly by
              the user.

-f, --fish
              During complete adjust the output for the fish shell.

-d, --defaultconfig
              Print default yay configuration.

-g, --currentconfig
              Print current yay configuration.

-n, --numberupgrades
              Deprecated, use yay -Qu and wc -l instead.

-s, --stats
              Displays information about installed packages and system health. If there are orphaned, or out-of-date packages, or
              packages that no longer exist on the AUR; warnings will be displayed.

-u, --upgrades
              Deprecated, use yay -Qu instead.

-w, --news
              Print new news from the Archlinux homepage. News is considered new if it is newer than the build date of all native
              packages. Pass this twice to show all available news.

-q, --quiet
              Only show titles when printing news.

the -s and -w look interesting… :grin:

2 Likes

Actually - I am wondering if the new helper allows PKBUILD editing BEFORE resolving dependencies - given that changing dependencies is one of the main reasons for editing in the first place! :grin:

1 Like

https://asciinema.org/a/sEh1ZpZZUgXUsgqKxuDdhpdEE

Yeah, watch the video
At least looks like it can, i think

SOOOOOOOO spot on. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

No output means no news?
Nor does yay -s or yay -w provide any output… :thinking:

Unless something changes upstream, yay does not need any additional development or any new features. As long as it works, it’s fine.

8 Likes

nothing will sound as good as yay :smiley:.

unless you make yay an alias for a new aur helper of course :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t get it, what makes paru more feature rich than yay that he moved over to it completely?

1 Like

The decisions aren’t always made on that kind of a basis. Open source developers do things for their own reasons. Maybe he disagreed on future direction with the project owner, maybe he wanted to work in rust instead of go or maybe he just wanted to do his own thing.

Lastly, keep in mind, you are looking at the current state of the project. The future state could be much different.

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Those items are ‘extended features’ that apply to the -P or –show options (to print out info). In the case of the -w (usage yay -Pw) it should only give you output if there a new message to be seen since the ‘current state of all build packages’ - ie: only if it is news. Normally this will be things like “If you get this error when updating, here’s how you fix it”.

Proper usage of -s is (yay -Ps) - and will give you something for your system, like:

┌13:34:40 WD= [~/Downloads]
└───freebird@nest ─▶$ yay -Ps
==> Yay version v10.0.4
===========================================
==> Total installed packages: 948
==> Total foreign installed packages: 22
==> Explicitly installed packages: 248
==> Total Size occupied by packages: 6.8 GiB
==> Ten biggest packages:
linux-firmware: 567.8 MiB
libreoffice-fresh: 407.0 MiB
brave-bin: 222.9 MiB
firefox: 207.7 MiB
jre-openjdk-headless: 179.0 MiB
virtualbox: 161.0 MiB
electron7: 160.8 MiB
electron: 158.9 MiB
thunderbird: 156.6 MiB
electron9: 155.3 MiB
:: Querying AUR...
 -> Missing AUR Packages:  electron7
 -> Orphaned AUR Packages:  libaudclient

which is a good ‘state of the system’ rundown to be aware of. This can be gathered by multiple commands entered individually, but is handy with just this!

3 Likes