New to Linux, new to Endeavour

Hello

After using Windows literally forever, in the last couple of years I wanted to part from the big techs (Google, FB, microsoft…) due to privacy reasons. Unfortunately I have to work with a couple of Windows apps to pay my bills, which kept me so far from doing the complete switch and arrange myself with Linux only.

But in September, when my 2015 Surface Pro 3 felt really heavy with W10 on it, I decided to give Linux a try. I installed a couple of distros and just played around with them (PopOS, Zorin, Fedora, Manjaro and Endeavour) and was amazed how well everything worked. EOS caught my attention, because it was an ultra slick, no nonsense, no gimmicky good looking distro, which has everything on board to start the journey.

So here I am, after installing EOS also on my laptop and my main machine (dual boot for now) I’m pretty happy. Of course I have a lot to learn and there are some minor issues which needs to get solved, but I guess, thats where the Forum comes in.

A big thank you to the developper team, which makes all this possible!

14 Likes

Welcome! :rocket:

Good thinking :+1:

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @RandomBloke :tada::balloon:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy using EndeavourOS! Just bare in mind it is an intermediate distro, so there will be a bit of a learning curve to get things up to speed. But if your patient, open minded, and don’t mind using a terminal from time to time to solve problems, then I’m sure you’ll enjoy your stay. Feel free to post (in a new thread preferably) about your issues you’ve encountered so far, but first do check out the EndeavourOS wiki and the Arch Wiki (respective links below), since both those resources can answer a lot of questions and is an extremely helpful asset to have for Arch/EndeavourOS users:

https://discovery.endeavouros.com

https://wiki.archlinux.org

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @RandomBloke :enos: :clap:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard the spaceship on its adventure journey through the deep purple universe!
:rocket:

2 Likes

Welcome Aboard!

2 Likes

I do a lot of reading of this forum. Most every issue I have had… found the solution on this forum and the Discovery Wiki. Have fun!!! :grinning:

And welcome to the Purple Neighborhood! :enos: :enos_flag: :rocketa_purple:

2 Likes

Welcome.

1 Like

Welcome :grin:

2 Likes

Better thinking in my opinion is:
The 7 things you should definitely not do after a fresh install :wink:

6 Likes

EndeavourOS is a very clean, assisted Arch install with some helpful things added for newcomers. Play around with it for a while and then start reading the EnOS wiki & Arch wiki if you wish to change things. I think I am right in saying that an initial EnOS install gives you a good safe and solid base from which to explore the Arch-based Linux experience. It encourages people to experiment and find their own customized solutions, with lots of enthusiastic support. It can work as it is, but if you are looking for a distro which “holds your hands” and takes care of everything for you, then maybe this is not the best place. I do think though that it is the best place to learn and grow on your journey in Linux computing.

3 Likes

welcome and enjoy your stay here

1 Like

Welcome @RandomBloke

1 Like

Welcome to this amazing distro and the wonderful community

1 Like

To save dual booting have a look at:

1 Like