New Linux-based OS for tablets

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/01/jingos-linux-distro-for-tablets-like-ipados?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+(OMG!+Ubuntu!)

3 Likes

Hmmm…I just bought a laptop with touchscreen with 10-point multitouch… :thinking:

3 Likes

Jingos. Hehe

3 Likes

jingo
noun, plural jin¡goes.

a person who professes his or her patriotism loudly and excessively, favoring vigilant preparedness for war and an aggressive foreign policy; bellicose chauvinist.

lol wtf :rofl:
That’s very “in your face!”…

My english have just become richer… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

These stuttering animations are not a good idea for a presentation!

I’m still curious. Why everyone want to copy apple products nowadays? Be innovative and create your own UI/UX.

4 Likes

Hmm…Gobble gobble

By jingo!

As an asseveration, by jingo was in colloquial use from 1690s (high jingo is attested from 1660s), and jingo here is apparently yet another euphemism for Jesus (it translates French Par Dieu), influenced by conjurer’s gibberish presto-jingo (attested from 1660s). The frequent suggestion that it somehow derives from Basque Jinkoa “god” is “not impossible” but is “as yet unsupported by evidence”

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=jingo

Interesting distro idea. I will be watching this one.

2 Likes

Why does it have to be iPad like? Innovate not copy.

1 Like

The same reason why many Linux users set their desktops up with a top bar, dock, and “global menus” (NOT myself) similar to MacOS, it is a paradigm that works well for many users. Instead of taking the time to “re-invent the wheel” by working on a new UI/ UX, I would rather see them spend that time working to make sure that the hardware is solid and their distro runs on said hardware without any bugs right out of the box. Besides, it is Linux. You know that one of the first things that users will do is customize it to how they like it.

Gnome has a head start on them

I would def use it on a phone it a tablet. Bring it on

1 Like

Global menus? You mean like the Amiga had while Mac was still black-and-white and had a 1-button mouse? Come to think of it, I suspect Xerox PARC had it global as well…

1 Like

Nail, 2p, one each. Hit by hammer, claw, 500g, one each, on the head.

I did not really want to go down that road, but glad to see that there is someone else who remembers all of that BS.

2 Likes

I remember when the whole thing (even Motif) was referred to as a WIMP interface (Window, Icon, Mouse Pointer). BTW - whatever happened to ‘pinning’ a menu item to the screen for easy reference?

2 Likes

Damn, that really brings back memories, most of them terrible time spent doing call center tech support. I need to go get a beer.

2 Likes

You’d need more than one if MS Word still was text based menus, and only seemed to work with a genuine Microsoft Mouse! That got me acting as a support tech for my (Professor) Dad. At least I got him off the Tandy 1000…

2 Likes

Hey no ragging on Tandy 1000. My first pc was a Tandy 1000 with an 8088 processor and cga graphics later upgraded to Ega Pools of radiance anyone?

1 Like

With all respect… but I think you are confused somewhere

Re-event the wheel means creating a new distribution or a new desktop environment while there are already enough for each use. Really, what is wheel re-event? Working to make something special and new or to create another one cheap copy? No problem BTW. Τhis is Linux… this is freedom

Top bar, dock and global menus have nothing to do (primarily) with Mac OS. They are very useful for many users. Many Linux users use the above because they are more productive for example. But apple-like icons are only for Mac fan boys and for those who care only about likes on screenshots.

P.S. I would like to see the source code. if you have news please source it!

1 Like

Top bars and (especially left) docks are more from acclimatising to written English and other languages that operate from top, go left to right, and then head for the bottom. Same reason that until Windows ‘corrupted’ lots of people, close buttons etc were on top left - with the top bar. Luckily - we all get to choose for ourselves now - whatever feels natural/right for YOU.