New Linux-based OS for tablets

Despite the fact I feel a little unsecure about installing a Chinese OS on my devices, I am curious about it. I still look for a better OS for my Asus Transformer Book. Gnome is just to heavy for it.

I heard Plasma is great.

2 Likes

Not confused. I was using hyperbole in my writing, I should have been more direct. I would rather see them use a paradigm that is known to work with the tablet format, and take the time to make things work properly out of the box. That being said, once they have a viable product, then they can work on innovating.

Since the initial release of OSX in 2001, the Mac has used a top bar, global menus, and a dock.

Screenshots…

I am not affiliated with the project at all, I was just giving my opinion on your post. Sorry if you were confused.

1 Like

Of course - that is pretty recent, in terms of interface. Take a look back another twenty years for a more nuanced viewpoint on what Mac borrowed from :grin:

2 Likes

Plasma for a tablet?

Well, if it works on phones, and it works on desktop, why not on a tablet?

So… Anyone know if the DE will be seperately packaged and available?

Perhaps eventually. Not sure if this will answer your question but I put it here anyway:

JingOS is based on Ubuntu 20.04, KDE v5.75, Plasma Mobile 5.20. We will replace the framework from Plasma Mobile to JDE(Jing Desktop Environment) later this year.

The project will open-source step by step on GitHub: JingOS-team .

https://forum.jingos.com/t/jingos-roadmap-v1-0-published-on-jan-2021/218

What do you want to show with the link you provide? All this were invented in 2001? take your time to look a little further.

Also this has nothing to do with what has been mentioned before. I’m sorry but you are off topic. or you may not understand the difference between using a top-bar/dock/etc AND copying a dock with same color/blur/opacity/etc and apple-like icons.

BTW as i said " They are very useful for many users."… That’s not bad. Bad is to be wannabe by copying the same style.

Ah ok. One more goalless answer.
It’s clearly a postscript and refers to everyone who knows. To see if the wheel is reinvented. Βut who knows? maybe I should have given consecutive answers to the same topic.

Sorry if you were confused!

I have no intention or time to continue it. I wish good luck with the project.