Need recommendation on nvidia card

:rofl: It is just so hard to say that while using an Nvidia GPU, huh? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not if you’re honest about such matters :laughing:

If i re-profile some of my work stuff (which is very possible), i’ll certainly sell my Nvidia hardware in favor of AMD GPUs and call it end.

Like i’ve said - i have a lot of happy friends / family AMD users which i’ve wholeheartedly advice to them, because they don’t need misery in their life like myself :rofl:

P.S. Oh and Nvidia won’t fool me, coz i know about their dirty tricks, why do you think i’m aware of the Quadro “hacks” ? :grin:

1 Like

:rofl: It is like a fly in your chardonnay.

Again, you are going back to one corporation doing slightly more evil practices than the other. It is all a cesspool, including AMD, that the user has to pull from to see what works for them, even as your situation has shown, and possibly has to use.

I will continue to offer up Nvidia as an option, because they have ALWAYS worked for me under linux. And take away the corporate money-grabs (from both companies,) Nvidia is doing some amazing things currently for linux gaming, as I posted above. And their drivers, even though proprietary, are awesome. I have never had an issue. :man_shrugging:

Well, i guess it comes to moral only argument then. What you call slightly more evil:

1. Planned obsolescence / Nobody gives a sh*t about :giraffe: :frowning_face:
  2. GeForce / Quadro criminality.
  3. Closed-source (actually all of other stuff is prevented just by having FOSS drivers, when you think about it)

To me those are absolute evil, and no amount of “all corporations are evil” moral-relativity can possibly sway that reality in the grand scheme of things, unfortunately.

That’s why i believe it’s better to advice AMD to anyone who doesn’t absolutely need very specific stuff like CUDA for work, especially if it’s new modern GPU or that someone is in doubt.

But that’s everyone’s own choice to make in the end of course :pensive:

P.S. Obviously i’m talking only about the things that you personally can change by choosing one over the other, not their own decisions…

2 Likes

Well said! That sums up this whole sh*t-show.

I am morally chaotic-neutral myself, as you can probably summarize. :japanese_ogre: :joy:

I just want to put all options on the table and let the user decide, and let users know the good…and BAD in both companies.

1 Like

I choose amdgpu since i have a choice. Just like i choose Linux over Windows. I choose AMD over Nvdia. :wink:

Edit: All graphics cards are too expensive. So i don’t game and i will use onboard graphics on any new system if i can but no hybrid crap.

2 Likes

Very wise choice :+1:

1 Like

Getting back to the original topic at hand :vulcan_salute:

You never specified what PSU you have, they either came with a 425W or a 635W.

Here is a list of cards that will work in your computer, listed below. If you have a 425W, then you might want to stick with the cards in the middle of the list, like the 1050 Ti, etc. If you have the 635W, then maybe a GTX 1660, I wouldn’t go any higher. That will give you Photoshop and light gaming fun.

Available Graphics Cards:

• Nvidia Quadro NVS 300 512MB GDDR3
  • Nvidia NVS 310 512MB DDR3
  • Nvidia Quadro 2000 1GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro K620 2GB DDR3
  • Nvidia Quadro K2000 2GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia NVS 510 2GB DDR3
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR3
  • Nvidia Quadro K4000 3GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro K2200 4GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro M2000 4GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro M4000 8GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia Quadro K5200 8GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
  • Nvidia Quadro K6000 12GB GDDR5
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6
1 Like

I wouldn’t go 10xx series with nvidia. starting with 1650 and 20xx series they have better power management in Linux.

If he is has the higher PSU.

It has the 425w but I have located both a 625w and a 825w on Ebay.
When I get that shipment from my friend I’ll compare the numbers to see if any match your list.

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate your time! :smiley:

1 Like

I have a 10 series. :wink:

Just ordered the 625w. Will that cover my needs?

Depends on which card you are going to use?

Here is a good chart that should answer your PSU to GPU questions, and take note of the 6-pin/8-pin requirements.

https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

1 Like

Update… Dell running on Radeon RX 550, 64 GB ram, 1 500GB SSD, 1 1TB SATA, dual boot Win10 and Atlantis install. So far… smooth as silk! Even PS likes it… go figure!
Thanks for all of your help!

And I still have more graphics cards to play with… just not in this rig! :rofl:

edit: Did do the upgrade to the 625w power supply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.