Need recommendation on nvidia card

But it’s only $329 Cdn

Edit: It’s in stock…

I’m currently using this one:
placa-video-AMD-Radeon-OC_39636_1
So thanks, but no thanks.

Switching to AMD GPU was the best decision I made this year, my computing experience improved tenfold.

4 Likes

That’s the card i would get too but hard to get and not cheap. No stock … So i will get the Ryzen 7 5700G instead with graphics.

Edit: I don’t like the Intel onboard Graphics.

Nvidia drivers are easy to install sure. Until they break Also setting up a bunch of configurations is a hassle and if you don’t they break!

Edit: Amd …nothing just runs. Like Firefox!

Edit2: Oh ya and KDE!

1 Like

I have a GTX 1060 6 GB card so i have real world experience. I’m just lucky it’s new enough but pretty soon Nvidia will drop support for it too. Then what? They want you you to buy a $3000 card?

I got mine for fairly cheap, but it was a singular opportunity and I got it pretty much on a whim, no planning. The entire computer cost me just under $2000, and it’s a pretty nice configuration (what I got was: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Radeon RX 6700 XT, ASRock X570 Taichi, 32 GB RAM, SDD 980 PRO 500 GB nvme drive, and a PSU). I was quite lucky.

1 Like

I remember the 390xx drivers, for OLD cards. Nvidia stopped supporting them. They dropped to AUR, and were maintained for awhile until the maintainer upgraded their card and stopped supporting the AUR driver. I don’t expect Nvidia to support really old cards.

To my knowledge, isn’t @jonathon still supporting the 390xx drivers in AUR? I see options in AUR and in choatic-aur for that card.

I have always upgraded my GPU’s throughout the years, I am a gamer. Like I stated above, the user has to do their research. Not every usage is like you (running old cards) or like me (running modern cards.) That doesn’t negate the fact that Nvidia isn’t supporting their cards. They chose a cut-off to stop supporting their really old cards. That can and has happened on the AMD open source drivers in the past when at one point their team members decided to leave the project.

Saying that Nvidia doesn’t care about linux is twaddle. Nvidia continues to invest in linux users. All you have to do is read Phoronix or any of the linux tech coverage and be informed;

Stop spreading FUD!

They are still selling those cards they dropped support for.

1 Like

Yes, he is, and I am very thankful to him for those few months I used these drivers. But before he took this task upon himself, there was a period of couple of months after some major kernel release when nobody supported that driver and it was very difficult to update (to the point I didn’t even bother, and just used an outdated system, pretending it was Debian).

I do. Or, if they can’t be bothered to do so, they could at least relese the source code of the drivers, so that the community can support it. Of course, the greedy bastards won’t do that, because then someone would figure out how to remove intentional software-imposed limitations and add features like Vulkan support to these old cards (which are quite capable of that, but intentionally blocked by Nvidya, simply because they want to sell new cards and send the old ones to e-waste). It’s the scummiest of scum moves, it makes me sick.

BTW, you can easily use a 15 year old ATI/AMD card with a modern Linux distro. Why? Because the driver is open source and licensed under a Free Software license.

1 Like

Like I stated, as long as the linux team that is supporting those drivers holds. Look at the history of those open source drivers and the teams, they have had their own hiccups…like leaving for a period of time and no support during it. Sound familiar?

Look, I don’t like corporations. I think linux users should support open source efforts, but not everyone is able or wants to, and that doesn’t mean Nvidia is the monster you make them out to be, mostly because you had a bad experience. They are doing some amazing stuff, especially today, and until they stop supporting linux completely, I will still recommend them to users as an option, and probably continue to buy their GPUs (no issue for well over a decade)…and I will do so without the side of FUD.

It does. Encouraging sending perfectly valid hardware to e-waste and then pretending to care about the environment is the lowest of low.

Hiding behind proprietary software so that you can intentionally reduce the performance of your hardware is about as low.

You may not care about getting screwed by them, and you’re free not to care, of course. You may be fine with buying a new graphics card every couple of years and trashing the old one, that’s okay too. I’m not fine with that, I want hardware that will last and continue to be usable until my needs exceed what it can give me. I am environmentally conscious (unlike the corporations and politicians that just pretend to be, yet stimulate consumerism, with artificially low interest rates, inflationary fiat currencies, and defective-by-design products) and I abhor wastefulness. With all of that considered I cannot in good conscience recommend Nvidya hardware to anyone (even though it is pretty good hardware). This is not just because of one man’s personal experience, although personal experience was the trigger for it in my case, of course.

1 Like

OK, well now you are stretching this to corporatism and environmentalism. Lets not forget, AMD is a corporation also, with just as much waste and the same advertisements. They used saving the environment by bringing down their processor power. :astonished: :rofl:

Just another corporation in the wall…now go eat your FUD pudding.

I don’t eat FUD! I devour the facts! :yum:

Actually no, if I had working drivers for my old Nvidya card, I would have still kept using it. I expect I will use this AMD card for more than 10 years, since it will never become “legacy”.

My Nvidya card became e-waste simply because of software. There was nothing wrong with it, it was working fine, and was sufficient for my needs. I could have kept using it for at least 2-3 more years. That is wasteful.

The only thing AMD did differently than Nvidya was giving the drivers as free software to the community. This is the only thing Nvidya has to do to be the good guys, here.

But as I said, they want the drivers to remain proprietary so that they can, among other things, intentionally limit the performance and functionality of their cards (in order to stimulate the sales of new cards, hence creating e-waste). Nvidya’s cards are defective by design, it’s a business strategy.

Oh he is absolutely correct, and on top of that i can approve that planned obsolescence is root of absolute evil.

Also i know for a fact (as few others were) that at least since 500 series of their cards they were selling extremely priced Quadro GPUs (very professional marketing, oh can you imagine that you can even support 10bpc displays?!?!?! oh my gooood!!!) which was EXACTLY i can’t stress it enough E-X-A-C-T-L-Y same hardware as their top of the line GeForce 580 were.

You know how you can unlock that super power of Quadro while having 580 card?
Getting Quadro drivers and changing couple of lines for hardware ids in config file. Price difference was something along the lines of 3000-4000 $.

I don’t remember how many series it took for them to figure out it doesn’t look so good, so they’ve decided to change it a bit, instead of just locking performance and features with drivers, they’ve added some limiting components to the board (couple of resistors or something) you could easily un-solder them, do same driver modification and still get Quadro.

What else can you call it, if not pure evil and monster?

And that also approves why they will never open-source their drivers, because all of that manipulation and crimes would be for the whole world to see.

P.S. I haven’t checked that stuff on latest models, but as far as i’ve heard they’ve complicated and differentiated boards now, so it’s not exactly the same as it were.

1 Like

Corporations are evil. How many times to I have to say this? They have obviously done some ruthless money-grabs, just like all the others, including AMD in the past.

Here is AMD dropping driver support to legacy, which means no more driver support for what is considered a “good” card. Sound familiar?

And speaking of drivers, AMD drivers have always been problematic throughout the years. There are lots of reports on them, including questionable coding to get better benchmark scores on paper.

AMD’s drivers appear especially sensitive and this has been the case for as long as I can remember. As for the theory regarding hardware compatibility, don’t be surprised if AMD doesn’t have the ability to test the degree of hardware they need to before release, making a good portion of the population beta testers.

Corporations, be capitalizing…any way they can! It would be a perfect world if there was an open source company making GPU’s and their own drivers, but that is probably a pipe dream.

BTW, @keybreak , don’t you use Nvidia GPUs? If so, how are you justifying that?

There are clearly degrees of damage here, in my mind, i’d choose lesser evil if in a position.

Who cares if their drivers are FOSS?
So it doesn’t mean end of life, as @Kresimir have pointed out.

Indeed, there were a lot of cases again, but at least they can be called out and pointed right on their :poop:, because of the open nature of their drivers, can’t they? :upside_down_face:

Unfortunately yes, because i really need:

• CUDA (for some of my work)
  • PhysX (that’s not big deal of course, but still)

Those are absolutely proprietary and there is nothing compatible on AMD side :frowning_face:
Doesn’t mean i’d advice that crap to friends, family and random internet users though :wink:

Both still doing deceptive practices, even though one has better open support. Justify it all you want, still a pool of corporations trying to make a buck. Like I stated from the start, it is up to the user to decide.

Unfortunately yes, because i really need:

• CUDA (for some of my work)
  • PhysX (that’s not big deal of course, but still)

Again, I made the point above, sometimes users need to use Nvidia. You can scream their evils all you want, but as you have proven, it is still a necessary evil. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why do you think i’m trying to justify anything?
I’m not some corporate PR speaker or fanboy :laughing:

It’s just clearly open-source drivers are better than closed-source, regardless of their problems.
And yes, in my mind benchmark tricks are used by both (btw it’s very foolish to believe benchmarks only as is, but technically it’s a lie to customer, no doubt here)

However, AMD have never done anything like selling exactly same hardware locked by close-source driver and marketing it as professional which costs 3000-4000 $ more.

That is insane.
And AMD couldn’t even do that if they’d wanted because everyone would see that (just as with your benchmark examples)

I have proven that for some tiny line of work, for absolute most people - it’s not the case at all.

I’m not recommending any Nvidia card. I’ve only had one in my lifetime. The one i have now GTX1060. I’ve always had ATI cards back in the day and now AMD. I only got an Nvidia here for some testing.