MS-office for Ubuntu in April

2 Likes

honka_memes-128px-50

1 Like

Sounds like a very early April fools joke.

I don’t want a wrapper. I want full pledged Office 365 applications/suite from daddy Baller Ballmer.

Apart from people who live in and use something M$ Office-specific, LibreOffice and OnlyOffice is all most need.

3 Likes

I’ll borrow that for a while :smiley:

honka_memes-128px-50

A web page, wrapped in electron, wrapped in a snap. That sounds…horrible.

8 Likes

Yer no thanks, I literally only have LibreOffice installed for about 1 or 2 things I do about once every 3 to 6 months. It may be useful to a small niche market on Linux but I can’t see it taking off as most people I know switch over to stay away from this sort of product

Is it like an onion :onion: ? so many layers :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s what the official Microsoft Teams client was until they stopped supporting it and the unofficial Teams client still is, it works fine better than having to use webpage for Teams, but for a full office suite no way in hell.

I think their aim is to push everyone to a subscription-based service with any local hardware running as a thin-client. They absolutely do not care about the Windows desktop platform anymore, it remains the red-headed stepchild of Azure and Cloud services that bring in a regular income. Welcome to the new normal where you will own nothing and will be happy.

No thanks. I bought my own components, I built my own pc, I sure as hell won’t be handing it off to be used as a junk/malware-infested ad platorm a la Windows 11.

who cares about Microsoft-Office :rofl: It is a shame Ubuntu comes
up with such a thing !!

I would use it - it would be serious leverage to let me use Ubuntu on my work computer if it did.

And is it terrible? Yes. But even Ubuntu with sketchy snaps is at least a usable experience for me. It’s just as bad as Windows, and I’m so angry and unproductive with Windows when I have to try and do something for more than like a half hour a time. So, it’s a slightly less bad choice, with a significantly better UI (imo at least obviously).

It is just the web application. You can use that from any browser on any distro. You don’t need a snap to do that.

Oh. I’ve tried the web app. It’s terrible. Nevermind. Other than being an argument I could make for Ubuntu which also sucks, forget the whole thing.

1 Like

fair point

I think this is a really good point to pick up on, and tease out what’s actually happening. Microsoft absolutely don’t want people installing apps client-side in the classical sense of an msi or executable that deploys to a local device.

We’re seeing again and again a shift to force the usage of web wrappers, a la Electron, to reduce maintenance on different code sets and simplify updates. I’m forced to use Microsoft apps at work, and their web-wrapped versions, for example, “New Outlook” are horrific. Missing functionality, basic features just not even considered, oh you want to go to a date using Ctrl+G like you used to? Nope, that’s not there any more. Export mailboxes or import? Nope.

Why this shift? Microsoft are fully focused on Azure and the Cloud. They absolutely want everyone to think of their pc as a thinclient on which they rent their services and not own any element of their hardware or software, whether that’s control or capability.

Not to put too fine a point on my opinion of it, but; F***. THAT. NOISE.

*Edit: Adjustment the the profanity policy I didn’t know about. Ooops…

2 Likes

this is the same business model they used to wreck their basic desktop, now being herded to the cloud.
the tragedy is the regular windows user does not know they are leasing, or that they don’t own their copy of W11/W10, nor the deal with the hardware, never read the frightening EULA, and they believe the Co. is keeping all their data more safe in the cloud now than it could ever be if was truly in their possession on a HD, which it never was, but they were told it was.

And they just take that abuse, year after year, decade after decade.
edit typo

1 Like

It’s more like they know, but Microsoft offers stability. Large corporations (that is not in United States) mostly uses Windows and Microsoft Office, it’s the standard.

People don’t usually up and arm about “Privacy concern”, people don’t care about Microsoft pushing ads (they can disable it anyway), people do not care about reading EULA, people do not too concerned about data safety and people don’t usually walking around with 12 inch tin foiled hat either.

Microsoft bad, yes, but Capitalism requires stability. Microsoft offers that stability. The fact of the matter is, there is no better alternative. You can conjure an argument that somehow a Linux centric company offers better protection than Microsoft, but in the eye of Corporate Capitalist Executive, it’s just a cheaper and less reliable alternative.

I personally would welcome a true and proper Microsoft 365 Office suite.

It would tremendously helped a lot of people, real people, not just Linux hobbyist to move to Linux.

A lot of corporate would definitely considering switching to Linux because usually their sole reason using Windows or Mac is because Office is available.

If that happens, it’s definitely an overall net positive for Linux/Open Source.

In our Capitalistic World, if you want to exist you make compromise with Capitalist Overlord.

Even Arch and Linux has been compromising with Corporate Capitalist Overlord, their Kernel incorporate proprietary blobs, correct? Also thanks to AMD (one of the biggest technology company, a corporate capitalist entity), gaming in Linux is a lot better.